Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mumble+ Windows 8 64bit + SWToR = Crash

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Mumble+ Windows 8 64bit + SWToR = Crash

dbryant
12.19.2011 , 11:54 AM | #1
Hi, I have Windows 8 Dev preview running on my HP Pavilion i7 Quad core laptop. I have been running swtor since the last 2 beta weekends and it also has run beautifully, not a single ctd or anything. Then I joined a guild in the early release and they used a mumble server for voip. Thats when the problems started, launcher would work fine, but the client kept crashing, no errors at all. I completely reinstalled swtor and no luck, but I did manage to get it to the server select screen once, but there were no servers listed. So I tried safe mode, it worked. After all day of trying different things I finally confirmed that the mumble client, somehow interferes with the swtor client when it tries to reach the servers. If I close the mumble client, swtor starts perfectly. At that point I can start the mumble client and it works fine.

btw in case you missed it

swtor works perfectly on Windows 8 Dev preview as long as mumble client is NOT running first

Donau
12.19.2011 , 12:01 PM | #2
Mumble is a finicky program, I use it for EVE. I tested it on Win 7 and it is stable. I can only suggest you use vent/ts or an older client of mumble for the time being.

Though with Win 8 still in development I can't imagine making a stable release client for it is high the Mumblers list.
Remember kids, only you can stop forum fires!

dbryant
12.19.2011 , 01:37 PM | #3
yeah, my guild is going to be switching to vent, they are having security certificate issues and cant create any rooms etc with mumble

Archimatt
12.26.2012 , 02:47 PM | #4
I wanted to put out this update and state that I just upgraded to Win8 Pro 64 and this is still an issue. If anyone knows of a fix, please post.
Thanks.

Roalmo
12.26.2012 , 02:56 PM | #5
Tried runnin' mumble in admin mode? Just a thought not sure if will work.

amoskof
12.26.2012 , 03:44 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Tried runnin' mumble in admin mode? Just a thought not sure if will work.
I found a few mumble related problems, I'm also using Windows 8 x64. I do run mumble as admin (and swtor too).

1. I have to launch swtor fully, and then minimize before launching mumble, otherwise swtor crashes on boot.
2. The game sometimes hangs/crashes anyway.
3. If mumble is running, I can't quit swtor cleanly.

--Me

Archimatt
12.26.2012 , 04:12 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by amoskof View Post
I found a few mumble related problems, I'm also using Windows 8 x64. I do run mumble as admin (and swtor too).

1. I have to launch swtor fully, and then minimize before launching mumble, otherwise swtor crashes on boot.
2. The game sometimes hangs/crashes anyway.
3. If mumble is running, I can't quit swtor cleanly.

--Me
Same and I did a clean install of everything. I've also tried putting both on admin and in compatibility mode, no fix.

Packetdancer
12.26.2012 , 05:07 PM | #8
Out of curiosity, are you guys running the Mumble overlay? I don't anymore—I use my G15's LCD screen to show Mumble data instead—but I know that I had issues with SWTOR and the Mumble overlay back under the Windows 8 64-bit developer preview ages ago that went away after I turned off the overlay mode.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

Archimatt
12.26.2012 , 08:54 PM | #9
I turned the overlay off. Still causes issues. I have issues starting SWTOR even when Xfire is up already. I had SWTOR crash while having both xfire and/or mumble running. I don't get it.

Madriga
03.23.2013 , 03:01 AM | #10
Update: This continues to be an issue. I run Windows 8 x64 and must start SWTOR before starting Mumble. Because the two must be started in this order, there is no overlay. (Even when I ran Windows 7 on my old computer, Mumble had to be started first in order for the overlay to show in game. ) Evidently this is an old issue but if anyone has found a solution since the last post, please share it. Having the overlay is very helpful in raiding. Thx