Sawbones PVP gear?

MOKSound

Ladies and Gentlebeings!

I've just hit 50 with my sawbones, having leveled with that spec, and having done a fair amount of pvp until then, and thus I have 2000 WZ comm's stocked up. And I have no idea what to spend it on.

How should PVP sawbones be gearing? Are there particular items to go after first?

I've seen numbers on other threads regarding target range for cunning, crit, surge, expertise... And I assume that has no relevance to me at the moment since I have no pvp gear yet. What handful of items ought to be my priority?

Any thoughts on the broader topic would be appreciated!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I customized my gear to contain zero alacrity. I'm using two PvE pieces, an ear piece (That's the Black Hole one) and an implant. (hazmat or something.)

I also pulled out all of the enhancements that contained alacrity and the one that had +2x endurance, for the ones with +4x endurance.

I cast UM maybe 1-2 times for an entire WZ, as most of your healing will be from SRM and EM, you don't need Alacrity at all, it's a worthless stat. Instead, go for endurance and cunning first, then power, then crit, then surge.

With the WH, I think there is an enhancement on a commando item you can use, or a sage on. I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to log on to look. lol.

but yeah, the default stuff for the scoundrel healer is pretty bad.

I'll try to give a short summary of what you'll need.

-Get the Mender Implants and the Trapper earpiece, WAR HERO. The Elite war hero pieces are worse than the WH ones. AND this way its easier to get BIS.

-Get 113/120 Power Relics (WH/EWH)

-Furthermore, to gear all the rest (all other gear needs mods and or enhancements).

This is in the long run. Start off with a set of Full War Hero Field Medic gear, everything. Boots, Gloves, Legs, Chest, Head, Belt, Mainhand, Offhand, Bracers. Although, I personally went with Enforcers Bracers. The stat difference is very minimal though, negligible if youre not aiming to have everything perfect.

-inbetween these 2 steps you might decide to go for EWH gear. up to you. youll be geared slower, but you dont have to do double the work

-After youve gotten this gear, start Remodding. You'll want power/alacrity enhancements and crit/surge enhancements, with LOW endurance and HIGH stats. This means getting mods from OTHER AC's' gear. All we get is for example 23/53 pow/alacrity, while others might get 41/53. Look around in the shops for this.

I cant spell every little step out for yhou cuz this post would be immense, but this is what its about.

Aim to get 75 surge%, 38ish crit%, and put the rest in power and alacrity, with a minimum of 250 and maximum of 300 alacrity so you dont lose too much power.

Hope this helped

I disagree with the previous poster about Alacrity and Endurance.

I go for max endurance and ZERO alacrity. Why? The two skills that will do 90% of your healing in PvP use zero alacrity. ZERO. If you don't believe me, start parsing your PvP matches while you keep SRM up on your targets and see how much it heals.

In addition, you do NO healing while you are dead. Since a scoundrel is best at using skill that require no casting, you can stay on the move, and even if someone is attacking you, they have nothing to interrupt while you are healing. And especially since burst damage is so high, you want to maximize your health, if for no other reason that you have a bigger window to be at 30% or below, so you have your free heal to spam even more.

I can give you some more actual math tonight, but if anything, try to go for NO alacrity. It's horrible. After that, endurance and cunning are the most important. Then it's power. I currently have 23k health on my scoundrel, and I'm not done getting EWH gear, much less minmaxing.

I also have 4 screenshots of my doing over a million in heals, so I can back up my knowledge with proof. :)

I disagree with the previous poster about Alacrity and Endurance.

I go for max endurance and ZERO alacrity. Why? The two skills that will do 90% of your healing in PvP use zero alacrity. ZERO. If you don't believe me, start parsing your PvP matches while you keep SRM up on your targets and see how much it heals.

In addition, you do NO healing while you are dead. Since a scoundrel is best at using skill that require no casting, you can stay on the move, and even if someone is attacking you, they have nothing to interrupt while you are healing. And especially since burst damage is so high, you want to maximize your health, if for no other reason that you have a bigger window to be at 30% or below, so you have your free heal to spam even more.

I can give you some more actual math tonight, but if anything, try to go for NO alacrity. It's horrible. After that, endurance and cunning are the most important. Then it's power. I currently have 23k health on my scoundrel, and I'm not done getting EWH gear, much less minmaxing.

I also have 4 screenshots of my doing over a million in heals, so I can back up my knowledge with proof. :)

A million in heals is nothing spectacular. If you call that proof then what isn't. Proof is HPS, not total heals. Talk to me when you get 1300 hps

I'm going to go into a discussion wiht you and i hope we can keep it civil.

I disagree on the endurance for this 1 reason: A good scoundrel stays alive whether or not he has 2k more endurance. If in RWZ they do decide to burst you down, you go down despite the 2k extra health. I and many other scoundrel healers i know prefer the extra healing they can put out over the long run than that bit of hp that MAY OR MAY NOT save you once in a match.

About alacrity, the reason i pump alacrity in there is because the only other stat I could get besides it is surge. No other enhancements exist but by getting either surge or alacrity as 2nd stat (the big one) on enhancements

The reason i dont go for extra surge is that i already have 75%. Hence, alacrity.

Edited by Aerilas

Alacrity is essential i'm sorry but in pvp your better off having constant medium heals to massive pumped ones they don' t come often enough to have any good impact. Maintaining heals is better for control situations especially when someone is hitting over 5k. Plus you can get more heals off and probably do more healing than one single big heal plus you'll have more upper hands to use so you can constantly pop emergency heal if someones chasing you they soon give up.

Alacrity is essential i'm sorry but in pvp your better off having constant medium heals to massive pumped ones they don' t come often enough to have any good impact. Maintaining heals is better for control situations especially when someone is hitting over 5k. Plus you can get more heals off and probably do more healing than one single big heal plus you'll have more upper hands to use so you can constantly pop emergency heal if someones chasing you they soon give up.

and yes, alacrity is good.

my rwz team would never take me if i didnt have enough alacrity.

its ESSENTIAL for bursthealing.

you cant heal effectively on hots and EMP alone

couldnt be more worng the only instant heals we have are kolto, slow med and instant. discounting cleanse. You can't pop instant with out using normal slow pack to gain upper hand and without upper hand you can't generate enough energy to use any heals. But also you can't use the scan unless u are still so you theory is flawed. The only way to stay still as little as possible is to reduce the loading time by boosting alacrity.

If anything your burst issue is a rotation one not skill. You should may more use of distraction dirty kick and flash bang

Edited by LordZym

Seeing people go for endurance and 0 alacrity explains SOOOO much about healing numbers people get in warzones. I'm always on top, often doubling allt he other healers, sometimes even getting more heals than others combined (3 others or so).

Gear does alot, and gearing that way (full endurance, no alacrity) is a big factor of it.

Either way, OP, I hope my gearing post helped.

and yes, alacrity is good.

my rwz team would never take me if i didnt have enough alacrity.

its ESSENTIAL for bursthealing.

you cant heal effectively on hots and EMP alone

Uhhh... I've done 1.2 million in heals without casting a single ability. By that I mean using cast bars. And I used to RUN ranked WZs teams, not just be in them. lol.

Now, if you're going to be casting UM, then yes. You'd use alacrity. By why in the world would you ever do that? If the enemy team is doing their job, you'll always have DPS on you no matter what, so it will be interrupted 100% of the time, which means the alacrity you would have is worthless. Instead, it would be better to have surge or crit (because I get the +47ish [pretty sure that's the stat] enhancements for the more health, so I have a bit more to choose from) so that means your HOTs and your EM will heal for me. And again, run a parser when you heal in a WZ next. You will be shocked at how much SRM out heals EVERYTHING you have. I know I was.

And again, the extra health, it's more than 2k, also keeps you between 0-30% longer, which means more free heals for you to be able to cast with no bars. Which means more free healing while you are kiting and keeping your tank alive as well.

You might see things differently, but I have almost 100 days on /played on one toon, and I was AFK for the past three months. lol :p If you don't believe me, again, just run parsers and check the data for yourself.

As for me, I will keep stacking endurance, because I WILL be focused, and I will keep going for zero alacrity since for me it is worthless.

couldnt be more worng the only instant heals we have are kolto, slow med and instant. discounting cleanse. You can't pop instant with out using normal slow pack to gain upper hand and without upper hand you can't generate enough energy to use any heals. But also you can't use the scan unless u are still so you theory is flawed. The only way to stay still as little as possible is to reduce the loading time by boosting alacrity.

If anything your burst issue is a rotation one not skill. You should may more use of distraction dirty kick and flash bang

I don't even have DS on my hotbars. If I need a proc of UH and I don't have it, which is rare since I keep SRM up on at LEAST three targets I use blaster whip on the closet target, since it almost always hits for 3k and helps in getting someone off me.

Seeing people go for endurance and 0 alacrity explains SOOOO much about healing numbers people get in warzones. I'm always on top, often doubling allt he other healers, sometimes even getting more heals than others combined (3 others or so).

Gear does alot, and gearing that way (full endurance, no alacrity) is a big factor of it.

Either way, OP, I hope my gearing post helped.

And I use alacrity in PvE since I need to cast then, but I don't use it for PvP since I will be interrupted by any team worth their salt.

Edited by Lulzbot

The gains you are getting from surge at any point after 76~ is simply not worth it, if you are not using a single cast heal you are doing it wrong. If you have problems keeping yourself alive with 19k hp once again, you are doing it wrong. Even if you wasn't to cast often the gain you get from alacrity is so much more than surge after you hit 300~ rating.

I'm pretty sure everyone has games over 1 million healing, they don't prove anything.

The gains you are getting from surge at any point after 76~ is simply not worth it, if you are not using a single cast heal you are doing it wrong. If you have problems keeping yourself alive with 19k hp once again, you are doing it wrong. Even if you wasn't to cast often the gain you get from alacrity is so much more than surge after you hit 300~ rating.

I'm pretty sure everyone has games over 1 million healing, they don't prove anything.

How does alacrity help me at all when I do not cast ANYTHING? It does NOT make your HOTs proc faster, otherwise it WOULD be useful. All it does is make the ONLY heal you would cast, UM, cast faster. Which also means you run out of energy faster and cannot keep SRM up on more targets.

And in a "good" team environment, you're going to have the majority of your DPS on their healer and one tank with maybe a DPS on your to protect you. Sure, things can switch up, but still, against good teams, you won't cast. There are ranged interrupts and the 'best' DPS classes have them.

The majority of ranked teams I used to play against ran three Powertechs and one Marauder DPS. That's four interrupts and they can chain them to be every single second, faster than your GCD time. Yes, not even DPS will always be on you, unless you're the only healer but in that 8-man environment you would usually have another healer.

And if a healer cannot keep themselves alive, no. They are not "doing it wrong" all it takes is two geared PTs on someone, and that's over 14k worth of damage in five seconds. If you try to cast during that time it will also be interrupted. Add in a marauder's buffs and another DPS on you, and no amount of healing would keep you alive, but more health gives your other healers and your skills time to heal you.

And I agree about the soft caps. I do my best to avoid the caps for surge and crit, but I'd rather have more of those skills than a single point in alacrity and then more endurance. Also, I do use my stuns too, I even spec to have a lower CD on my stun and lower cost and I even run faster after using it.

EDIT - and here's some numbers for you. With my "horrible gearing" I still have 368 power and 1868 cunning and that is UNBUFFED with 1884 endurance to back it up. After I'm done min-maxing, I'll have closer to 430 power with 2k+ endurance.

And again, this is for PvP, with PvE you DO need alacrity.

Edited by Lulzbot

How does alacrity help me at all when I do not cast ANYTHING? It does NOT make your HOTs proc faster, otherwise it WOULD be useful. All it does is make the ONLY heal you would cast, UM, cast faster. Which also means you run out of energy faster and cannot keep SRM up on more targets.

And in a "good" team environment, you're going to have the majority of your DPS on their healer and one tank with maybe a DPS on your to protect you. Sure, things can switch up, but still, against good teams, you won't cast. There are ranged interrupts and the 'best' DPS classes have them.

The majority of ranked teams I used to play against ran three Powertechs and one Marauder DPS. That's four interrupts and they can chain them to be every single second, faster than your GCD time. Yes, not even DPS will always be on you, unless you're the only healer but in that 8-man environment you would usually have another healer.

And if a healer cannot keep themselves alive, no. They are not "doing it wrong" all it takes is two geared PTs on someone, and that's over 14k worth of damage in five seconds. If you try to cast during that time it will also be interrupted. Add in a marauder's buffs and another DPS on you, and no amount of healing would keep you alive, but more health gives your other healers and your skills time to heal you.

And I agree about the soft caps. I do my best to avoid the caps for surge and crit, but I'd rather have more of those skills than a single point in alacrity and then more endurance. Also, I do use my stuns too, I even spec to have a lower CD on my stun and lower cost and I even run faster after using it.

EDIT - and here's some numbers for you. With my "horrible gearing" I still have 368 power and 1868 cunning and that is UNBUFFED with 1884 endurance to back it up. After I'm done min-maxing, I'll have closer to 430 power with 2k+ endurance.

And again, this is for PvP, with PvE you DO need alacrity.

Yes, if you have that many dps on you, you will not be able to cast but as you said yourself you will also die, there are plently of times in a warzone you are able to cast freely and in those times you should be casting. There is no way you can keep a tank alive in huttball without using a single cast bar. So, yes, alacrity will benefit you more.

That's great, I have 1950 cunning, 941 power and 1,650 endurance.

Yes, if you have that many dps on you, you will not be able to cast but as you said yourself you will also die, there are plently of times in a warzone you are able to cast freely and in those times you should be casting. There is no way you can keep a tank alive in huttball without using a single cast bar. So, yes, alacrity will benefit you more.

That's great, I have 1950 cunning, 941 power and 1,650 endurance.

lol, and what is your expertise? Mine is at 1227. That is alot of power, but that's coming from mostly PvE gear I'll bet, and you need some expertise in order to survive.

1,208 expertise.

Mind telling me what gear you use? I've looked at every single set there is right now, and I cannot find a combination that gives that high of power with that much expertise. If Expertise were no option, sure, but I cannot see it.

Mind telling me what gear you use? I've looked at every single set there is right now, and I cannot find a combination that gives that high of power with that much expertise. If Expertise were no option, sure, but I cannot see it.

It's just fully optomised war hero, going for the lowest endurance pieces, with the highest crit/power on them. Then I use power crystals instead of expertise crystals. (Those stats are fully buffed)

Im a bit late in replying, but you didnt specify your HPS again, only your TOTAL heals, which means ****.

Also, you didnt adress the fact about bursthealing. High healing is good, but not if you cant burst someone alive which can mean SO much to teams.

Running ranked does not mean anything more than being in it. Only distracts you from your healing job. yet without UWM this doesnt matter much i guess.

The reason more surge and crit wont help me is because everything is on the HIGH cap already. Surge, Crit, Alacrity.

And the rest i poumped in power.

You want to know my stats?

75%surge, 38.5% crit, 674.2 bonus healing, 19.65k hp. and 266 alacrity meaning 1.75UWM casting time. There's nothing I can dump the alacrity in. Oh, and 1208 expertise. And I have nearly the EXACT same stats as the previous poster. I can post my gear aswell if you want

Sorry, i have no doubt youre a good healer, but i can not agree on never using DS and UWM.

And I do realize how much SRM is worth.

But again, no bursthealing for you

Edited by Aerilas

Im a bit late in replying, but you didnt specify your HPS again, only your TOTAL heals, which means ****.

Also, you didnt adress the fact about bursthealing. High healing is good, but not if you cant burst someone alive which can mean SO much to teams.

Running ranked does not mean anything more than being in it. Only distracts you from your healing job. yet without UWM this doesnt matter much i guess.

The reason more surge and crit wont help me is because everything is on the HIGH cap already. Surge, Crit, Alacrity.

And the rest i poumped in power.

You want to know my stats?

75%surge, 38.5% crit, 674.2 bonus healing, 19.65k hp. and 266 alacrity meaning 1.75UWM casting time. There's nothing I can dump the alacrity in. Oh, and 1208 expertise. And I have nearly the EXACT same stats as the previous poster. I can post my gear aswell if you want

Sorry, i have no doubt youre a good healer, but i can not agree on never using DS and UWM.

And I do realize how much SRM is worth.

But again, no bursthealing for you

Actually, again, the burst healing I get is from three different skills. EM, SRM and KC. There are many times I'll be alone with a tank, so what I do is run close to him, throw out KC and then reapply both of the SRMs to us. I'll stay aggressive using Blaster whip and sabotage charge on his target to burn them down faster, and if it's a tank guarding someone else tanky, I'll throw up a DOT on them both too. I also usually use the slowing cybertech grenade to help with damage + kiting.

Then, all of my burst is done when they hit 30% with the free heals I get from EM. Since I always have DPS on me, I don't have the chance to cast, not even for a second. If I DO cast, then while my cast time is a full two seconds for UM, it will almost always crit for 5k, but the chance I'll cast that is slim to none. Maybe an average of 2 times per warzone.

I go for Cunning and power first and foremost, but at the same time I keep my endurance high so I can survive to high DPS. I think a scoundrel is best used as a healer who never casts, and instead spends that time doing damage/slowing/stunning the DPS/Tanks targets and keeping other DPS off the other healer who may have to cast. Now, with the EWH, there is a way I can lose a good deal of surge for power, and I'm going to be a happy panda.

Actually, again, the burst healing I get is from three different skills. EM, SRM and KC. There are many times I'll be alone with a tank, so what I do is run close to him, throw out KC and then reapply both of the SRMs to us. I'll stay aggressive using Blaster whip and sabotage charge on his target to burn them down faster, and if it's a tank guarding someone else tanky, I'll throw up a DOT on them both too. I also usually use the slowing cybertech grenade to help with damage + kiting.

Then, all of my burst is done when they hit 30% with the free heals I get from EM. Since I always have DPS on me, I don't have the chance to cast, not even for a second. If I DO cast, then while my cast time is a full two seconds for UM, it will almost always crit for 5k, but the chance I'll cast that is slim to none. Maybe an average of 2 times per warzone.

I go for Cunning and power first and foremost, but at the same time I keep my endurance high so I can survive to high DPS. I think a scoundrel is best used as a healer who never casts, and instead spends that time doing damage/slowing/stunning the DPS/Tanks targets and keeping other DPS off the other healer who may have to cast. Now, with the EWH, there is a way I can lose a good deal of surge for power, and I'm going to be a happy panda.

im going to stop arguing with you. that is NOT bursthealing, im talking about BURSThealing. I do that **** too, but last try.

for example attacking phase voidstar. they dont have a chance of attacking you since the defending team usually gets killed really rapidly, leving you to freeheal. if they do however get some dps together they usually focus 1

target and he gets burned fast/. your tactics dont heal him enough, i can whip 9k in 1 second if i want. cast UWM and EMP, if it both crits. thats burstheal. that saves lives.

I simply abuse SRM and KC on cooldown, but i also throw other heals.EMP i use until i have 1 stackof upper hand left.

anyway done iwth you,. simply dont agree.

scoundrels survival shouldnt be dependant on hp, but on skill to survive.

Edited by Aerilas

im going to stop arguing with you. that is NOT bursthealing, im talking about BURSThealing. I do that **** too, but last try.

for example attacking phase voidstar. they dont have a chance of attacking you since the defending team usually gets killed really rapidly, leving you to freeheal. if they do however get some dps together they usually focus 1

target and he gets burned fast/. your tactics dont heal him enough, i can whip 9k in 1 second if i want. cast UWM and EMP, if it both crits. thats burstheal. that saves lives.

I simply abuse SRM and KC on cooldown, but i also throw other heals.EMP i use until i have 1 stackof upper hand left.

anyway done iwth you,. simply dont agree.

scoundrels survival shouldnt be dependant on hp, but on skill to survive.

not sure what teams you fight against, but I always have DPS on me at all times to kill me. If a team doesn't have DPS on a healer, then LOL. Simple as that.

Try playing against some teams that focus healers, and you'll see what I'm talking about. And also, when I'm on the attack phase, I do more attacking than healing, since staying alive isn't as critical. Flybys/stuns/mezzes/cyber nades are what wins those rounds in addition to the SRM heals.

EDIT - Last WZ I did I had taken 456k damage.

EDIT again - and that's not even ranked. On ranked WZs I'll take 500k+

Edited by Lulzbot