Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

bright_ephemera
04.01.2013 , 06:26 PM | #601
a) Damn I hate those restraints.

b) It's good to lay out the implementation and limits clearly; doing it via Shen cursing them in turn works just fine.

c) Snakes and swimming in frost. Both perfect.

d) Cataloguing the legal restrictions as well...his frustration is getting me mad just thinking about it.

e) Shen's either faking Jadus out, or just talking himself up by trying to retake mental control/interpretation of what just happened. I'm not sure anybody in the situation can say with any certainty which is the truth.

I like it!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

kabeone
04.02.2013 , 12:22 AM | #602
@Striges
I love this Cleaner AU. The restrictions on the initial syrum is a brilliant idea. Your description of Kaas City and all the little details of Imperial law always draws me in completely.
Quote:
Snakes. Swimming in frost. He remembered. He could never forget.
Beautiful, perfect description of Jadus's voice.

And the nanobots that combat poison not disease. I laughed a bit too loudly at that.

kabeone
04.02.2013 , 03:04 PM | #603
Knightless: Health
Takes place somewhere in the middle of the last piece which spanned a bit over a week's time.
References IA ch 3 spoilers
Spoiler

Notes: (IA Ch 3 spoilers)
Spoiler

Striges
04.02.2013 , 11:32 PM | #604
Cleaner

Prompt: Working out the Kinks

Characters:Shen/Rixik, Kaliyo

Title: Terrorist!

Spoilers for Agent Act One.

Spoiler

bright_ephemera
04.03.2013 , 05:15 AM | #605
@kabeone Infinite love for Vector. Infinite. And hmm, he does in fact have black hair and pale eyes...

@Striges I'd probably better start sorting out articulate things about how much I like every detail you work in here. Until then, I'll just say that I have video recordings of a grey-edging-slowly-towards-light Agent runthrough, should you ever want me to upload them to Youtube for reference. PM me if you want any conversation in particular.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Striges
04.03.2013 , 08:08 AM | #606
Kabe, Vector-not-a-joiner is such a sad prospect. Even here, where he's in a fairly decent situation, I can't help but feel sorry for him. I never really thought about how much being a Joiner was part of his character, and you've shown that well by taking it away from him. Also this:
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Spoiler
Vector is a smart and empathetic guy in most respects. He just has such a blind spot where the Empire is concerned.

Godera is awesome. His droid on Taris made me giggle so much when I played through it (I wanted to take it with me). Reducing Coremi to 'test subject' is so in-character, and somehow doesn't come off as cold as it could. It makes sense that he might have met Coremi at some point or her family at least. I can't help but think that he'd help her readjust if she survives the procedure, but at the same time kill her if she becomes uncontrollable. The mental image I have is of a scientist who experiments on animals, but still has pets at home.

@Bright: I may take you up on that (the videos, that is). I'm doing a lot of this from memory, and the rest from already-uploaded, usually low-res youtube videos. I wish I had transcripts of the cutscene dialog and not just the Torhead/DarthHater dialog wheel choices. You were right--a lot of the previous, non-action-y posts were scene setting, communicating character information I needed to show and hopefully wasn't too boring.

Glad you're liking Cleaner. It has totally taken over my brain.

bright_ephemera
04.03.2013 , 08:30 AM | #607
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Spoiler
I neglected to mention, I think this line is fantastic.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

kabeone
04.03.2013 , 03:51 PM | #608
Quote:
The mental image I have is of a scientist who experiments on animals, but still has pets at home.
This is great analogy for Godera.

As I played through an increasingly angry IA, Vector became her conscience. Even though he couldn't stop her completely he at least made her think twice about her choices. I imagine he would play the same role for Godera. I do believe he was a kind and empathetic guy before, (first contact diplomatic service), but the nest gave him a sense of peace and a connection to something bigger than himself.

Also, if you dark side the Alderaan quest where you separate the Thul girl from the nest, the letter she sends you shows that even though they suppress the bond with heavy drugs she's still a joiner and wants to go back.

@Striges Cleaner!

The alternate view of the Dominator incident was fantastic. Kaliyo and Rixik working together is so fun to read, they're an incredibly perfect match (at least for now! ) .
Quote:
“You fix it. You’re a fixer, stoopa, that’s your job,” Shen shouted, “If you don’t, I will find your house and eat your children.”
This line made me laugh, mostly because the Fixer can never be sure if Shen is exaggerating.

Striges
04.03.2013 , 06:48 PM | #609
@ Kabeone: I like the image of Vector as Godera's conscience. It fits. I always wondered about the Joiners, though. If their devotion was real (something the person would choose without other influence) or something manufactured as part of the bond.

More Cleaner:

Prompt: Exploration

Title: Vignette (1)

This was supposed to be several drabbles, but work was terrible so I only finished one. Immediately follows Terrorist! No spoilers.

Spoiler

Striges
04.04.2013 , 10:12 PM | #610
Rather than spam this thread with posts unrelated to the prompts, I went ahead and made a new thread for Cleaner. Right now the bulk of the posts are collected from this one, but I will be continuing the story over in Cleaner One.

Not to, you know, shamelessly plug my own thread. Not at all