Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

bright_ephemera
12.13.2012 , 09:26 PM | #391
*squeezes her eyes shut; pulls the trigger.* Lodestone: Culture Shock. Because that's one way of putting it. Usually I try to stay strict with my points of view: one observer per *-demarcated section. Here, however, I felt it was important to switch off without disrupting the text. I hope the narrative remains coherent.

References to an Agent Act 2 spoiler. 3400 (!) words.

Spoiler

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

kabeone
12.13.2012 , 10:02 PM | #392
Being Wynston is a lot like seeing someone's hand while you're playing poker. Imagine you know all their tells and they don't guard their cards. Now play honestly as if you did not have that knowledge. You can't. You'd have to play stupid and I can understand why he can't do that. The hard part is telling someone, "I can see your cards all the time and I know all your tells." Then waiting to see if they still want to play with you.

This was really great I loved the flow and it wasn't confusing at all and the parallel at thoughts at the end... <3

iamthehoyden
12.13.2012 , 11:30 PM | #393
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Being Wynston is a lot like seeing someone's hand while you're playing poker. Imagine you know all their tells and they don't guard their cards. Now play honestly as if you did not have that knowledge. You can't. You'd have to play stupid and I can understand why he can't do that. The hard part is telling someone, "I can see your cards all the time and I know all your tells." Then waiting to see if they still want to play with you.<3
I love the poker analogy. Summed it up better than I could.

I feel for Ruth. She's dealing with the fallout from the emotional nuke Quinn set off and goes right into dealing with Wynston who can be manipulative and devious and disingenuous - learning to trust again is hard enough without the extra challenge of learning to trust Wynston.

I probably shouldn't enjoy Wynston's distress as much as I do (I do love you, Wynston!) but watching him squirm at having the attention on what HIS buttons were was just too funny.
Quote:
as soon as I figure out what it is about I'll tell you
This. I laughed for entirely too long. Entirely.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

kabeone
12.14.2012 , 02:49 AM | #394
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
I love the poker analogy. Summed it up better than I could.
I can count the cards but my face always gives me away. I'll stick to blackjack.

Rarg writing is hard.

bright_ephemera
12.14.2012 , 07:01 AM | #395
Oh, Wynston is hilariously unqualified to restore Ruth to a sense of security and any semblance of innocence or a transition to a more stable confidence. Meanwhile the way she intuits what might actually be good for him, combined with the way he's so utterly used to running the show and effacing his own needs, does entertain me way more than it should.

All this gives her an opportunity for some of the…nurturing?...and close affection that she gave up trying to exercise in her prime universe. There's a lot of impulse toward caring that her career all but snuffed out.

kabe, I, too, love the poker analogy. Usually Wynston uses it to clean house or else throw the game in favor of somebody useful...attempting to offer a fair shot is weeeeird.

Okay, I'm sorry if the prompts seem a little disjointed this week. I do wish to continue the NotLP, and then I wanted to cross-pollinate with the SFC thread to help assure that prompts I keep intuitively writing for on one thread weren't actually only posted on the other. The actual original prompt this week is inspired by iamthehoyden.

Week of 12/14/2012
First Day on the Job: Some of our characters have very long, very colorful employment histories. Others picked a job or had it picked for them when they were very young. Pick one of the jobs your character has held and describe the day they came to it.
From the SFC thread, Confessions: Everybody has things they don't like to admit. Sometimes it's big, sometimes it's just something small. Sometimes it's nice to finally let it out. What secrets does your character hold in this universe? What does s/he need to admit - and to who?

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...21&postcount=2 .
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
12.14.2012 , 07:56 PM | #396
Lodestone: Allies again because I'm not really responding to prompts as such. 1600 words.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

EverSteam
12.14.2012 , 08:38 PM | #397
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Spoiler
The crying... it won't stop.
I wasn't going to say anything and just sit and read but... you just keep making me cry and feel so sad!
I'm really, really loving this AU.

bright_ephemera
12.14.2012 , 11:23 PM | #398
Lodestone: Goals and Ambitions (2?). Almost everything about the circumstances on Corellia is sad, but there's hope there, too. It's not "shiny scrub away all the difficulty right now" hope, but it's hope.

Also I just recently realized/noticed that an element of RMC is going to add something very positive to the Ruth/Wynston dynamic a few months down the line. You know, on top of their enjoyment of snuggles. Forward! 900 words, stuff ripped directly from Sith Warrior endgame.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
12.15.2012 , 09:10 AM | #399
Wynston and Ruth (even given their emotional mess) make me happy Wynston's character growth is intriguing. How far will it go? o.O And I like that Ruth can be supportive here, it's much more her - well, happy-her. And finally, I am thoroughly looking forward to Wynston with an infant, cause omgadorable.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera
12.15.2012 , 07:59 PM | #400
Gah, parenting! I am the worst at parenting. We'll see how the kid turns out

Now, Lodestone: First day on the (officially recognized Wrath) Job. Sith Warrior endgame setting. 1000 words.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!