Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling bodyguard before Tatooine

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Bounty Hunter > Mercenary
Leveling bodyguard before Tatooine

Quething
08.20.2012 , 05:30 PM | #1
I've got a vanguard already, so I thought I'd go heals with my bounty hunter just to see the class from the other side.

And then I got Mako, and learned that she's my only companion until four planets in.

I really wanted to level as a healer, so I could learn as I go and heal flashpoints on my way up. But halfway through Balmorra I'm already finding it totally... not helpful to have both Mako and I healing, and she doesn't seem to make a particularly good makeshift DPS. So, should I suck it up, use a free respec and DPS until I get another party member? Or is there a trick to this I'm not seeing?

xstortion
08.21.2012 , 08:24 AM | #2
I'm in the same boat as you. I have just leveled Pyro until I can get a dps companion. I'm sure Mako could do better dps with the correct gear and in her dps stance.

wMDranger
08.21.2012 , 12:01 PM | #3
I never tried putting her in her dps stance. Does she actually do decent damage or is it a mix of healing herself still and off dps lol

Exiled-Phoenix
08.21.2012 , 02:52 PM | #4
Lvling as bodyguard is slow and frustrating, you need a very well geared companion to fight for you and you don't get your first tank till Hoth.
I lvled as bodyguard, all i can say is lvl as dps and respec at 50, learn to heal in FP.
I use to be a Deception Assassin, then I took a Dev comment to the face!
Now i'm a Mercenary healer.......

bobmcbo
08.21.2012 , 03:24 PM | #5
I've leveled bodyguard with mako. It's a pain- especially on the last fight before you get your dps- but you should be able to manage by off-healing with a healing spec.
OMG! Imperial ships can get a .00008% power increase! Nerf the empire!

Quething
08.23.2012 , 05:02 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by wMDranger View Post
I never tried putting her in her dps stance. Does she actually do decent damage or is it a mix of healing herself still and off dps lol
She can't even hold aggro against you dropping one Unload between heals. So mostly it just means she heals you, but slower.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm thinking I'll swap over to Pyro for a while.

Mistwaver
09.05.2012 , 09:34 PM | #7
Tatooine is when you get your next companion. It is slow to level as Bodyguard until then, but it's certainly doable. What I recommend is leveling DPS until level 30, then respec to healing. Bounty Hunter healing is extremely slow until then, but once you hit level 30, it picks up like crazy.

Technohic
09.06.2012 , 09:39 PM | #8
So does it get better at level 30 for sure? Or should I make sure I am at level 30 and have the next companion.

I hate switching when I queue for sub-50 WZs and people see merc and get pissed when you really are not healing them; but doing some of the quests on Tatooine and running into a gold that would heal themselves took forever to fight. Ran into another gold and switched Mako to offense and healed her and it took forever for one fight. I just don't feel I had a choice and went Pyro for now.

BTW. When you have to do damage as a bodyguard spec, what priority/rotation do you use?

Technohic
09.07.2012 , 09:58 PM | #9
Another question.

Gault. Sniper Mode or Assault when running bodyguard spec leveling?

Ravnik
09.10.2012 , 03:13 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Another question.

Gault. Sniper Mode or Assault when running bodyguard spec leveling?
Hmmm good question, ive never really taken any notice! Only just got Gault but seem to be doing pretty well against golds while healing him and letting him take them down.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly..........