Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Dwindling Dev Tracker

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cold-Fusion's Avatar


Cold-Fusion
08.30.2012 , 06:33 AM | #121
I believe that Joveth, Allison, Amber, Courtney et al are all working very hard, I think alot of people here think all they do is sit here and read the forums all day and I think they are doing the best they can. I agree that ALL information should be on SWTOR's forums in addition to social media and not fragemented across both (I believe the CS team are doing this in most cases)

I think after the initial drop in subscriber numbers EA essentially did a wide ranging review of the game. They decided to drastically cut the size of the development team (I'd guess at a 50% cut) and have taken a much more active role in how the game is managed. I believe that the CS team COULD answer many of our questions in detial but are not allowed to by EA, I also believe that we would not like the answers they would give us.

If EA are taking the approach I think they are taking then they want the development team to focus on small scale regular updates (Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones) as announced and not on large scale projects such as Space, SGRA and Open PvP. Until we see more information on how the F2P model is going to work long term (beyond 2012) and how sucessful the F2P model change is then these large scale projects may well be shelved, reduced in scope or hopefully perhaps developed as intended.

In summary, EA has control, Bioware is doing what they are told, the CS team are working hard but are not allowed to be very open with the community. Communication could be better but not with EA standing over thier shoulder.

Kthx's Avatar


Kthx
08.30.2012 , 06:43 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
So, in a fit of curiosity, I decided to see if it was my imagination or if the communication levels had, indeed, slacked off.
I like data, but you are measuring daily activity over a period of two weeks. Measure monthly activity since the launch of the game, and I think you will come to much different conclusions.

discbox's Avatar


discbox
08.30.2012 , 08:22 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
While we appreciate all kinds of constructive feedback, as Allison pointed out, the forums are only one small measure of communication. Do keep in mind that while some days it seems that there isn't any forum activity from us, we're busy hopping around, taking a look at the SWTOR subreddit, Twitter, Facebook, and responding to PMs.

Consider that our fanbase is large and spread across various social media sites, and you can see that we strive to make sure that they are covered, no matter where our fans are.

We're also working on some new community blogs that we'll be posting in the upcoming week or so, in addition to our standard weekly blogs that we already put up.

Finally, while this team is highly visible, a lot of what we do is internal: responding to developer requests for feedback, moderating the forums, writing patch notes, working with localization, sending various documents & ideas for approvals, working with marketing, maintaining relationships with fan sites & guilds, attending game development meetings, escalating issues, following up on bugs, and much, much more.

In short, measuring the number of gold posts every day is not the best indicator of our overall activity. You're welcome to continue to do so, but know that every day we are working with our developers to respond to your questions here on the forums, which results in about 5-10 developer responses even during a light news week.

If anything, measure against what we had before we started our increase in communication on August 8th. I guarantee that you will see a difference.

Stay tuned for the new blogs, which we'll be debuting starting tomorrow.

As always, thanks for taking an interest in this. Constructive feedback is always welcome and we'll definitely adjust our strategies when there is a need .
Blah blah bla, coming soon, stay tuned, blah blah, soon.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
08.30.2012 , 09:24 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
If anything, measure against what we had before we started our increase in communication on August 8th. I guarantee that you will see a difference.
Are you serious?! Measure you against what there was BEFORE vs now?! Nothing vs slightly more than nothing? Is that how you try to convince people you're doing better?! I'm floored by how out of touch and egotistical that comment is.

Joveth...it doesn't work that way. We measure you against what we EXPECT! We are the customers. Don't tell me that just because you're doing a little better, that I should be happy, because I'm not. I've seen forums with 1/10th your staff do better with communication. I've seen games with 3 developers post more (and release a crap ton more) than your staff does. What "I" expect from you is not being met...yes, it's better than nothing, but I'll measure your performance based on what "I" expect from you, not what YOU tell me is acceptable...I am the customer...stop forgetting that. You've lost too many of us already.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
08.30.2012 , 09:30 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
We measure you against what we EXPECT! We are the customers.
True statement for the most part.

Now, please read my signature, because in the MMO world, expectations are closely coupled with feelings of entitlement.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

Lateris's Avatar


Lateris
08.30.2012 , 09:34 AM | #126
@ Bioware- take lessons from CCP.
.:|Jawa Diplomat- Obscuri Lateris- |:.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
08.30.2012 , 09:37 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
True statement for the most part.

Now, please read my signature, because in the MMO world, expectations are closely coupled with feelings of entitlement.
What bull **edit** Andryah. I expect communication from Bioware to build the sense of excitement and a feeling of hope in this community, I don't feel entitled to anything.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

vandana_'s Avatar


vandana_
08.30.2012 , 09:44 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I expect communication from Bioware to build the sense of excitement and a feeling of hope in this community, I don't feel entitled to anything.
I don't understand.

Everything is SO "exciting" and that word is so used by the devs and CS alike. Feedback they get is exciting. Content rolling month after month after month is exciting. Content rolling every 6 weeks is exciting. Free to play is exciting.

Why the hell aren't you excited?!!!
V'ox

iamthehoyden's Avatar


iamthehoyden
08.30.2012 , 09:46 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
I like data, but you are measuring daily activity over a period of two weeks. Measure monthly activity since the launch of the game, and I think you will come to much different conclusions.
The main reason I was looking at that period initially is because that's as far back as the Dev Tracker went at that point. It's been made pretty clear that it's buggy. I'm actually in the process of looking at the dev tracker back into June (which is as far back as it currently goes) and the weekly dev tracker summaries. I'm curious about 2 parts: interaction levels (which I'm measuring by post numbers) and developer information (which is going to take a bit longer to sift through). I will say, the interaction levels haven't changed significantly as far as I can see. The period right before Aug 8 was slow, but if you go back much farther it's about what we have now. Whether the developer information is different I have yet to figure out.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

vandana_'s Avatar


vandana_
08.30.2012 , 09:57 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Cold-Fusion View Post
I believe that Joveth, Allison, Amber, Courtney et al are all working very hard, I think alot of people here think all they do is sit here and read the forums all day and I think they are doing the best they can. I agree that ALL information should be on SWTOR's forums in addition to social media and not fragemented across both (I believe the CS team are doing this in most cases)

I think after the initial drop in subscriber numbers EA essentially did a wide ranging review of the game. They decided to drastically cut the size of the development team (I'd guess at a 50% cut) and have taken a much more active role in how the game is managed. I believe that the CS team COULD answer many of our questions in detial but are not allowed to by EA, I also believe that we would not like the answers they would give us.

If EA are taking the approach I think they are taking then they want the development team to focus on small scale regular updates (Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones) as announced and not on large scale projects such as Space, SGRA and Open PvP. Until we see more information on how the F2P model is going to work long term (beyond 2012) and how sucessful the F2P model change is then these large scale projects may well be shelved, reduced in scope or hopefully perhaps developed as intended.

In summary, EA has control, Bioware is doing what they are told, the CS team are working hard but are not allowed to be very open with the community. Communication could be better but not with EA standing over thier shoulder.
This is the best analysis of SWTOR state of development and community service that i have read. Thanks.

Also when you see responses like the one Javeth Gonzales gave us in this very thread you can see there is no hope. They will deny and spin reality to the bitter end.
V'ox