Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lost Island HM should have better loot.

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

NoxiousAlby
08.13.2012 , 11:07 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I talked with Jesse Sky (Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer) about the difficulty of Lost Island and its rewards, and he shared his insight about these questions.

He mentioned that Lost Island is balanced very tightly for a group in Tionese-quality gear, but that because the boss mechanics are heavily execution-based, many players prefer to overgear for it. Small mistakes can easily wipe the group, so bringing Ops level gear is great insurance, even if it isn't required. The loot quality reflects this - players who take the risk of going in with Tionese and Columi gear will be rewarded. Players with Ops level gear are likely there for the Black Hole Commendations right now.

That's not to say that we won't be re-examining gear progression going forward. It just happened that when Lost Island was released (1.2), it made sense to us to offer new players and alternate route to the Rakata chest and Columi main hand while infusing the weekly Flashpoint missions with a bit more challenge for players who had geared past most Flashpoints.
I've often seen responses from developers like the one above from those at Blizzard, justification for the decisions made. I also often wonder whether the developers themselves actually run the completed FP's/OP's with fellow employees or pug as it's expected from partcipants. If Jesse Sky believed HM LI should be completed in Tionese then he geared this flashpoint for the 1% of players who are capable. Everyone I know in game has completed HM LI in a minimum of Columi gear, and I am of the opinion that in this Flashpoint (as good and enjoyable as it was) the reward does not equal the effort. I hope that with future development the fact that reward equals effort is kept in mind for what was essentially a mini raid.

Ansalem
08.13.2012 , 11:25 PM | #42
I feel the devs did a good job balancing LI and it drops appropriate loot. I just leveled an alt to 50 on my server as sniper lethality dps and the second I dinged I did a HM LI run. I was able to do it easily while wearing green questing loot with some blues. I also got lucky and every boss dropped sniper loot. The hm fps and operations are relatively easy its all about executing and doing your job right. As long as you continue your rotation and you don't stand in stuff you should be fine. The loot is plenty good for the difficultly.

KEKHAN
08.14.2012 , 12:56 AM | #43
Lost Island is my fav. HM, mainly because it is such a pain! I play it each night because I like the challenge, not that it's really tough but it requires a bit of teamwork and common sense.

I've had some nights with decently geared groups which after a few wipes end pretty early on, and i've had group with 1 or 2 players who have never done the FP before going through it with no wipes at all.

You also get 'All types' in HM LI. I've had the full BH healers who just havn't been able to keep people healed, I've had the DPS in Recruit Gear, the Tank who moans about there being melee in the group and quits etc. etc.

A Rakata Chest-Piece and Mainhand Weapon are good rewards, leave everything how it is please!

Ersan
08.14.2012 , 01:35 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by DiLune View Post
LoS kite around the Kolto tanks and never get a single one.
I was going to say this, but yeah LoS around the Kolto tanks when Lorrick says he has a trick up his sleeve.

Chaqen
08.14.2012 , 07:10 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I feel the devs did a good job balancing LI and it drops appropriate loot. I just leveled an alt to 50 on my server as sniper lethality dps and the second I dinged I did a HM LI run. I was able to do it easily while wearing green questing loot with some blues. I also got lucky and every boss dropped sniper loot. The hm fps and operations are relatively easy its all about executing and doing your job right. As long as you continue your rotation and you don't stand in stuff you should be fine. The loot is plenty good for the difficultly.
The thing is most likely you could of died, or not been there at all and if your group was bh/camp gear would of been fine 3 manning it. I have done it with people in green and blue questing gear, dps and healers and been successful, but the overall gear level of the group was far beyond tionnese.

I say it isnt to difficult, and doesnt need a nerf, but i think a group full of people just being in tionese would be extremely tough, unless you had certain classes only.

lexiekaboom
08.14.2012 , 08:26 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I talked with Jesse Sky (Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer) about the difficulty of Lost Island and its rewards, and he shared his insight about these questions.

He mentioned that Lost Island is balanced very tightly for a group in Tionese-quality gear, but that because the boss mechanics are heavily execution-based, many players prefer to overgear for it. Small mistakes can easily wipe the group, so bringing Ops level gear is great insurance, even if it isn't required. The loot quality reflects this - players who take the risk of going in with Tionese and Columi gear will be rewarded. Players with Ops level gear are likely there for the Black Hole Commendations right now.

That's not to say that we won't be re-examining gear progression going forward. It just happened that when Lost Island was released (1.2), it made sense to us to offer new players and alternate route to the Rakata chest and Columi main hand while infusing the weekly Flashpoint missions with a bit more challenge for players who had geared past most Flashpoints.
Can you please post a video of Lost Island being done from start to finish by a group in TIonese gear?

Can you please post numbers for how often this happens in the real world?

Burtlebe
08.14.2012 , 08:29 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaqen View Post
The thing is most likely you could of died, or not been there at all and if your group was bh/camp gear would of been fine 3 manning it. I have done it with people in green and blue questing gear, dps and healers and been successful, but the overall gear level of the group was far beyond tionnese.

I say it isnt to difficult, and doesnt need a nerf, but i think a group full of people just being in tionese would be extremely tough, unless you had certain classes only.
Shadow tank, Sentinel, Commando and Scoundrel have by far been the easiest group I have done LI in. You really have to have min of 2 interrupters for that mob. Running thru with my 5 different 50s, it is doable in lower gear only if you have the right classes and the right people. We currently are farming it working our members thru it to get the unlock for the speeders. But once people get the unlock it is the one place they dont wish to go back to.
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server

bbare
08.14.2012 , 09:57 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by DiLune View Post
LoS kite around the Kolto tanks and never get a single one.
Yep, but even strafing can prevent you from getting one.

CitizenFry
08.14.2012 , 10:32 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by JeffKretz View Post
That said, I believe the enrage timer isn't really the issue with this fight mainly because I don't see people complaining about "getting him to 5% every time." Most threads about LR-5 involve people wiping far earlier than the enrage.
As a fully-geared tank, sometimes I will PUG HM LI just for (masochistic) fun. About 50% of random groups that I get through groupfinder have severe problems with lack of DPS - LR-5's enrage will kick in with 20-30% of the bosses' health remaining, despite the fact that my HP has never dipped below 70% and none of the group members have gone down. After two or three runs like that, I will announce "I don't think this is going to happen with this group" and then leave.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

DiLune
08.14.2012 , 10:44 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by CitizenFry View Post
As a fully-geared tank, sometimes I will PUG HM LI just for (masochistic) fun. About 50% of random groups that I get through groupfinder have severe problems with lack of DPS - LR-5's enrage will kick in with 20-30% of the bosses' health remaining, despite the fact that my HP has never dipped below 70% and none of the group members have gone down. After two or three runs like that, I will announce "I don't think this is going to happen with this group" and then leave.
I have experienced that exact problem. Mechanics perfect...DPS is terrible.