Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mako vs. Gault vs. Torian

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Mako vs. Gault vs. Torian

DPCummerbund
07.29.2012 , 12:15 PM | #1
I find that playing with Mako so much easier than Gault or Torian. What am I doing wrong with those guys?

For example, I haven't got Mako any gear for several levels. Since getting Gault and then Torian, I've hardly gotten Mako any gear, and spent lots of time and money getting gear for Gault and Torian. However, fighting with Mako is still tons easier. For example, after giving Gault the best stuff I can find, he and I still get killed repeatedly when doing elites one level above me. Mako and I can take them down easily.

Obviously, healing is a big part of that. If I'm playing with Mako, I don't have to watch my health, and can focus on my attacks. However, part of it also seems to be Mako's stuns - she really helps with CC when I'm attacking in groups. So, she really helps with groups, and she's great with elites.

Torian is still the worst for me. I've got all his attacks on, and he just can't keep aggro on himself. The second I attack somebody, I pull them. I use Chaff, but that's the only skill I have (AFAIK) that lowers threat. Am I missing something with him?
"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the Dark Side." - Kira Carsen
"You there! I'm drafting you into the Imperial Reclamation Service's... service." - Lieutenant Whist

Tobradex
07.29.2012 , 12:43 PM | #2
I like Gault best. I agree that I have trouble with Torian. However, things just die much faster with Gault than with Mako. I use my defensive cooldowns when I tend to take a lot of damage and try to get agro from all but one mob. That way Gault takes a minimum of damage.

I am an armormech and all my companions are geared fairly well.

PS: I am lvl 39 as of last night.
Xibrom - 50 Operative Healer

Oculi 50 Mercenary

Evoprime
07.29.2012 , 02:35 PM | #3
I assume the OP is a Merc (threat dump gives it away). Torian is not a tank, but a DPS helper. If you want a Tanking companion, focus on class quests on Hoth.

I don't assume to have the best combination, but it "felt" easier to use Mako till I got Blizz, and then Blizz through endgame on my Merc. Blizz does have issues with a Rakata geared Merc, but things are usually dead before that becomes an issue.

I use Torian on my Shieldtech, but I used Mako exclusively till I got some Rakata pieces.

sumuser
07.29.2012 , 10:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Evoprime View Post
I use Torian on my Shieldtech, but I used Mako exclusively till I got some Rakata pieces.
Same here. For my shield tech I find a DPS companion to be more useful (atleast in general) to a healer companion. I probably have more survivability with Mako, but it takes too long to burn through mobs.

To the OP: As a merc (dps/healer) I would imagine you want a tank (see preceding post RE: Hoth) or a Healer. Balances your character out more. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, though you do have to adjust your tactics with your other "non-Mako" companions. Sending them in first and waiting for several seconds before engaging... Refrain from AoE (like Death from Above)... It just takes practice. but Mako is probably the "best" and for sure the easiest to use.
Jedi Covenant
Apotheosis | lvl 50 | Bounty Hunter
Utnapishtim | lvl 50 | Sith Warrior

nateslice
07.29.2012 , 11:35 PM | #5
I loved leveling with Mako on my Shieldtech. Some enemies took me a while to beat, sure, but I was pretty much guaranteed to win as long as I fought smartly. Elites with autocannons were still challenging, but I could win against them if I used my cooldowns and interrupts and basic movement properly.

Mirdthestrill
07.30.2012 , 10:31 AM | #6
I don't have Torian yet, but I'm using Gault until I get another comp. I'm a bodyguard speced merc, and I was finding that fights with Mako took forever. I almost never died, but we would just stand there healing each other and no damage would get done for a while.

From a story point of view, I find Gault annoying, and he's also kind of squishy, more so than I would like, but he's the one I end up using most of the time. I die more often, but it's worth it to me to move faster. I use the tons of money I make as a mercenary to buy stuff for Mako to complete her companion quests I'm really looking forward to Torian, both as a potential love interest for a female merc, and because he could be a happy medium between interesting Mako and useful Gault.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this in, but how is Mako as a dps? If I turned off her healing mode, would she be ok at that? I've heard mixed opinions, ranging from "she's terrible, don't do it" to "she's wonderful, I don't use anyone else"
I <3 alts!

DPCummerbund
07.30.2012 , 08:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirdthestrill View Post
I don't have Torian yet, but I'm using Gault until I get another comp. I'm a bodyguard speced merc, and I was finding that fights with Mako took forever. I almost never died, but we would just stand there healing each other and no damage would get done for a while.

From a story point of view, I find Gault annoying, and he's also kind of squishy, more so than I would like, but he's the one I end up using most of the time. I die more often, but it's worth it to me to move faster. I use the tons of money I make as a mercenary to buy stuff for Mako to complete her companion quests I'm really looking forward to Torian, both as a potential love interest for a female merc, and because he could be a happy medium between interesting Mako and useful Gault.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this in, but how is Mako as a dps? If I turned off her healing mode, would she be ok at that? I've heard mixed opinions, ranging from "she's terrible, don't do it" to "she's wonderful, I don't use anyone else"

BTW, I am a merc, I should have clarified. Sorry.

I really like Gault from a story point of view. I think Gault is a riot, and I love all his catchphrases too. He reminds me of a slightly evil Jeff Goldblum. The funny part is that the way I've been playing my character and making choices, I kind of feel that my toon actually doesn't like him. So they kind of have a whole Han / Leia thing going on.

I do find that Gault and I do burn through stuff faster. When we're facing regular mobs, especially if we're not in some kind of dungeon, I frequently use him. But against really dense groups of mobs (where I'd have to stop and heal if I used Gault), or especially elites, Mako just helps me survive.

I am on Hoth, and will have Blizz soon. I really wanted a Jawa companion, it's one of the reasons I wanted to play a BH. Funny, I didn't know he was going to be a tank, I thought he was ranged DPS. I guess I'll find out soon.
"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the Dark Side." - Kira Carsen
"You there! I'm drafting you into the Imperial Reclamation Service's... service." - Lieutenant Whist

vincentres
07.31.2012 , 05:31 AM | #8
I would not use her as a dps companion because her only two offensive abilities is a dot and some charged shot. The rest of them are healing abilities and a channeled stun.

Mirdthestrill
07.31.2012 , 04:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by vincentres View Post
I would not use her as a dps companion because her only two offensive abilities is a dot and some charged shot. The rest of them are healing abilities and a channeled stun.
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to wait for a less squishy companion then.
I <3 alts!

vincentres
07.31.2012 , 07:18 PM | #10
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to wait for a less squishy companion then.
Torian you get at Taris.
You get Blizz at Hoth and you get Skadge at Belsavis.
The latter two are tanks.