Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

IA or BH healer, PVP server, trio?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
IA or BH healer, PVP server, trio?

FlashlGordon
12.19.2011 , 03:57 AM | #1
I wish this was a simple question, but i think not.

I am rolling on a PvP server with two others, they are Marauder and a SI (sorc i believe) and I am going healer, I cannot decide what would work best, Merc or Operative.

My style preference is slightly leaning to the Merc, but I see a lot of benefits to being able to stealth and the number of escapes the operative has in comparison.

Also I do not like standing around healing if possible, so i am thinking the HoT style of healing the operative has may be beneficial.

I will be doing primarily DPS with heals as needed for bosses or PvP requirements, possibly a hybrid spec.

Any suggestions or consideration I am missing?

Thanks and appreciation

FlashlGordon
12.19.2011 , 03:57 PM | #2
Guess ill bump. I went IA for now, just for the story,

but the cover mechanic is getting on my nerves.... any help with a decision?

Jilla
12.19.2011 , 04:07 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by FlashlGordon View Post

I won't be much help since I am not that far into either class, but I do know that if you go healer on IA, you will be using stealth more than cover--so hopefully it will be a non-issue later on.

Good luck!
-You came here in that thing? You're braver than I thought. - Princess Leia

Draemos
12.19.2011 , 04:31 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by FlashlGordon View Post

You don't use cover after 10 as an operative, or at least you don't need to.

It's really about stealth and escape mechanics vs tankish healing. Merc healers are damn tough to kill.

I would say that doing damage while healing is something the Merc is far more natural at. The operative is a melee class, and it's abit awkward to heal while being in melee range to assist in damage. To be honest though, the Sorcerer is the best DPS specced healer.

For PvE, I personally found the operative to just be a better pure healing class. You have More healing stamina and single target throughput, a vanish for when you pull aggro, an AoE CC, and eventually you get a decent AoE heal. The Merc is arguably a better raid healer, as they can more easily switch between targets.

Your going to eventually have trouble healing the harder flash points if you aren't a full healer spec FYI.

FlashlGordon
12.19.2011 , 04:34 PM | #5
Ya that is what i read which is encouraging. I will stick with it. I enjoy the melee skills too.

I went IA for the hope I would be a more mobile healer then with Merc and still be a good DPSer....

With our group, Assassin/Marauder and me as Operative, strategy is going to be more DPS it down fast, heal if needed...seeing we have no TANK ...sadface

I am still concerned about a lack of a hybrid spec (that i see), and being more squishy then a merc.....

Also i hate this first companion

FlashlGordon
12.19.2011 , 04:38 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Draemos View Post
You don't use cover after 10 as an operative, or at least you don't need to.

It's really about stealth and escape mechanics vs tankish healing. Merc healers are damn tough to kill.

I would say that doing damage while healing is something the Merc is far more natural at. The operative is a melee class, and it's abit awkward to heal while being in melee range to assist in damage. To be honest though, the Sorcerer is the best DPS specced healer.

For PvE, I personally found the operative to just be a better pure healing class. You have More healing stamina and single target throughput, a vanish for when you pull aggro, an AoE CC, and eventually you get a decent AoE heal. The Merc is arguably a better raid healer, as they can more easily switch between targets.

Your going to eventually have trouble healing the harder flash points if you aren't a full healer spec FYI.
Ya the Merc with the more natural DPS is my hang up too... i dont want to be in melee range as a healer, and being able to hit tracer missile (or other ranged) from afar then heal when needed is nice.... problem is being so stationary... where having HoTs id hope would allow the OP to run around more.

Bear in mind that I am focusing entirely on PvP strategy here. I may do raids or something at 50 but I am more concerned about what will work in Warzones/open world PvP then raid healing.

Krytycal
12.19.2011 , 09:27 PM | #7
As a healer you won't be spending too much time DPSing once you come across the more challenging content later on, so don't let the ability to DPS affect which healer you'll choose. Sorcerer is the "easiest" to DPS on simply because they have a larger pool. Where as Mercs/OPs can only spam a handful of attacks before running out of juice, sorcs have a much bigger pool. Keep in mind though, if you spend too much of your power DPSing, chances are you won't have enough power to heal in prolonged fights.

All three healers have their pros and cons. If you like mobility, then IA wins hands down.
JoKeRz - PvP - Helm of Graush