Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler Story. Snoozefest.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
Smuggler Story. Snoozefest.

Cybridwarform
07.25.2012 , 01:07 PM | #1
I just finished chapter one and i must say i am rather bored ******** with this story. They all follow the same bland trend.

go here,
get disappointed.
follow up here.
get turned down.
follow up here.
directed somewhere else.

Will this sotry change in the later chapters? If this continues i think ill just continue with my agent instead. From what ive heard the agent storyline is actually witty and etertaining. So far i rolled agent last night and i am in love with the story. I didn't even notice i was level 10 by the time i had to pass out for work and i want to rush back home to find out more. -I love my smuggler but sadly not so much his story.

I have yet to actually "smuggle" anything... -.-; Seems i spend 1-17 getting my ship, 7-30 gearing it out for some crazy mission, and 30-33 i get disapointed at how easy it was to kill the vault boss but returning to kill the tool who stole my ship originally gave me great satisfaction. I also cheered as it ended the most boring quest line ive done in my gaming history. I was still waiting for the "go out and kill 60 bears" and then 160 zebras, return to nessingwary just to find out i needed to do animalggedon where i would kill 300 wild donkeys.

Astarica
07.25.2012 , 01:11 PM | #2
I think the Agent story starts out strong but it gets progressively worse because it's like they used up all the awesome characters by chapter 1, after that you're just fighting gimpier versions of guys you've already defeated (in terms of story).

Cybridwarform
07.25.2012 , 01:29 PM | #3
if i wasnt so caught up with the scoundrel / slinger debate i would continue on my agent. I just dont know what i want to do because theres so much i want to do.

bright_ephemera
07.26.2012 , 04:46 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Cybridwarform View Post
I was still waiting for the "go out and kill 60 bears" and then 160 zebras, return to nessingwary just to find out i needed to do animalggedon where i would kill 300 wild donkeys.
Ouch! But I laughed. A lot. Freaking Nesingwary.

The Smuggler's story actually gets weaker after Act 1, I think. A lot less personal motivation - Act 1's antagonist is a very good antagonist - and even higher levels of "Why am I doing this again?" followed by "Why am I now stopping smugglers instead of smuggling?"

The smuggler gets swatted down everywhere because it's a basically comedic story of misadventures. If you don't love the NPCs and the snarky dialogue in general, there's not much else to the class.

I can echo all recommendations for the Agent, though. I found Act 1 less than thrilling apart from Dromund Kaas, to be honest, but it made up for it later.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Renita
07.26.2012 , 07:22 AM | #5
Personaly I loved act three. I went dark side and although I agree my responces got a little repetitive, we do have the best one liners in game. I loved the ending to my story more than anything, and I can't wait to find out how my decisions effected things.
Spoiler

I think if you go dark side you feel more smuggler like. But that is just my opinion. I enjoyed playing a greedy little ***** who was motivated only by a large stack of credits, and revenge. My girl was never very forgiving.

SilentKitty
07.26.2012 , 11:49 AM | #6
Currently on Voss with my little smuggler and loving every second of it. Different people like different things as usual. Hope you find another class that's more to your liking =)

depth_mil
07.30.2012 , 08:22 AM | #7
Some very amusing lines, but it's the weakest of the campaigns I've played so far. Even ignoring the issues with overall plotline it just doesn't fit with what's going on in the nonclass quests and the character in general. There's not really any particularly sensible motivation or reasoning for why the republic military seems to trust some random civilian an awful lot in the general quests etc.

Cybridwarform
08.01.2012 , 10:02 AM | #8
I played my agent sniper and i am hooked on the story, my ship looks AMAZING, and my only cmplaint is how unfullfilling my attacks look like compared to the smuggler but i can live with 1 badside.

My main was my 32 slinger but now my agent is slowly advancing to level30 and i can't wait to continue the agent storyline. There is tons of motivation to level and keep finding out whats going on.

My only real regret is that i was looking to playing pub side to have more PVP targets in the field. I wish i could swap to pubside and still have an amazing storyline / ship / companions. -Seems like pub side got shafted.

As far as the pubs trusting 1 man, well, sometimes desperate measures are needed. The smuggler storyline would have been much better if u walked the fine line between both imperial and pub sides. Getting on each others nerves and making friends / enemies along the way. After all that is the poin of a smuggler, To get things taken behind enemy lines.

Ashania
08.01.2012 , 11:27 AM | #9
Really didn't like the Smuggler story at all. I really dislike all the companions (bar Corso ((shock horror)) and Guss). It really felt to me that all the responses didn't even fit in with what was going on. Like they just pulled stock responses at random.

As many agree, the agent storyline is vastly superior...it really grabs you from the start.

People say it's boring, but I did enjoy the Consular storyline, and found it was far more enjoyable than the smuggler.
50 Sawbones Scoundrel | 50 Medicine Operative
50 Seer Sage | 50 Deception Assassin
50 Bodyguard Mercenary

Raltar
08.01.2012 , 01:21 PM | #10
I finished Act 1 last night. It was the most boring act ever. I am really hoping act 2 gets better(the start already has, at least).

Why is it that only the Bounty Hunter seems to have a strong act 1? Other classes have fantastic act 2 and 3(Imperial Agent comes to mind), but only the BH(in my experience) had an Act 1 that was great.