Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No death, only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
No death, only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles

bright_ephemera
03.31.2013 , 05:21 PM | #171
So once upon a time I left a thread mid-fight scene and forgot it forever. Maybe I can get it back on track, or at least to where things on the Method are proceeding...

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 58: In which peace is everybody's least favorite thing (II/II)

His resume notes, plain and true,
That backstabs are not at all new.
With someone like Scourge
One might heed the urge
To get him before gets you.

Blaster fire burst in every direction. Nalenne focused on Lord Scourge and quickly found that he had some qualifications for Wrath. Actual qualifications, not "we're desperate and you looked unemployed at the time" qualifications. She defended herself while dimly aware of Jaesa hurrying to block Rho, Rho's little astromech sending a volley of small missiles in Captain Rutau's direction, and general mayhem proceeding.

"You fight like a dairy farmer," snarled Scourge as he met her wild frenzy with controlled skill.

"What does that even mean?" said Nalenne.

Scourge sighed heavily. "It means you're going to lose."

Rho was desperately defending Scourge's back from the Imperial officers' blaster fire. The protection soon became unnecessary; Lord Scourge crouched, then leaped backwards, impossibly graceful for a big crimson ball of murder, and landed near the landskimmer that he and Rho's party had arrived in.

"If you refuse to aid me in this task, Jedi, I will pursue it alone," he shouted over the noise of combat. "If you were concerned about facing the Emperor, you would do well to fear opposing me."

"Scourge, don't draw fire on the skiff, it's a rental!" Rho returned, but Scourge was already on his way. Ensign Rylon and Captain Pandorr ran a few steps after it before it became clear that the vessel, and Scourge, were out of reach.

"Wait for me!" Captain Rutau limped after his two comrades, somewhat hampered by the freshly warped and charred metal leg. Around him the blaster fire fell silent.

"Guys?" said Jaesa.

Nalenne shook herself out of staring after Scourge. "Hmm?"

"Our target is gone."

"What are you talking about?" Nalenne gestured at the remainder of Rho's crew. "We've got five perfectly good targets right here."

"We all have a bigger problem," Kira said firmly. She looked at Rho as if hoping for backup on this statement. Rho was still staring after Scourge, looking mournful.

"I can deal with him," said Nalenne. "So I figure, with that aside, it's time for me to kill all of you."

Quinn cleared his throat. "My lord, we weren't going to betray them until after we disposed of Lord Scourge."

"Hey! I knew it!" Kira yelled.

"We're not betraying you guys," said Jaesa.

Nalenne rubbed her temples. "Jaesa…"

"Master, how else are we going to know where Lord Scourge is going or how to follow?

"Traditionally we kill 'em anyway and figure it out ourselves."

Kira leaped forward, blocking Rho, who was still staring off after his lost companion. "You won't this time," said the redhead.

Nalenne bristled. "Listen, if I spare your lives it's only as a favor to Jaesa."

"I know, master," said Jaesa. "I do appreciate it."

Doc waved. "So do we. In case you were wondering."

Rho finally shook himself and looked around. "I, too, am willing to support a peaceful solution," he said serenely.

"You're not fooling anyone with the calm-and-collected thing," sniffed Nalenne.

"I can support peaceful solutions while mourning the unexpected betrayal of one of my most valued companions," said Rho.

"You didn't expect it? From him? Lord Scourge, Emperor's Wrath, three-hundred-time winner of Korriban Academy's Sithiest Sith Award?"

"Well, no."

"No wonder he dumped you. Anyway, everyone, you can stand down now. Pierce, help Rutau with his leg there, would you?"

"We will take them prisoner, my lord. Yes?" said Quinn.

"No," said Jaesa.

"What she said," said Nalenne. "But only because I really like you, Jaesa."

Quinn looked like he was trying not to look miserable. "I…will defer to your authority, of course, my lord."

"Can't we defer to her while we're killing the Jedi?" Rutau suggested hopefully.

Jaesa glared. "NO."

"Wow," said Nalenne. "Your authoritative mode is actually kind of hot."

Quinn gritted his teeth, drew his blaster, and fired in Jaesa's direction. The bolt riffled her hair passing by, then streaked into the distance.

Jaesa winced and looked to him. "What was that?"

"Self-control at work," he grated. "Are we quite finished here?"

"But we haven't even started planning," said Jaesa. "Master Rho and his friends will certainly have information on where in Republic space Lord Scourge might have access. Plus, Kira loves the Dominion League animated series. She could come–"

"No," snapped Nalenne.

"But since we're working together and all…"

"No."

"Can I sleep over with her sometimes?"

"Only if you promise to behave." Nalenne looked over to give Rho a hard look. "You can watch if you want, I think it would be instructive for you."

"I already know all about the Dominion League," he said placidly.

"That wasn't what I…never mind. Insanity Company, pack it in. There's nothing else for us to do here."
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

kabeone
03.31.2013 , 05:46 PM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
His resume notes, plain and true,
That backstabs are not at all new.
With someone like Scourge
One might heed the urge
To get him before gets you.
LIMERICKS!!!!!

Quote:
"You fight like a dairy farmer," snarled Scourge as he met her wild frenzy with controlled skill.

"What does that even mean?" said Nalenne.

Scourge sighed heavily. "It means you're going to lose."
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Quote:

Lord Scourge crouched, then leaped backwards, impossibly graceful for a big crimson ball of murder, and landed near the landskimmer that he and Rho's party had arrived in.
mmm

Quote:
"Scourge, don't draw fire on the skiff, it's a rental!"
Lord Scourge on the skiff.... mmmm...

Quote:
"I already know all about the Dominion League," he said placidly.

"That wasn't what I…never mind. Insanity Company, pack it in. There's nothing else for us to do here."
ahahaha

I'm so happy right now. SO HAPPY.

bright_ephemera
04.01.2013 , 07:02 PM | #173
Whew, now that I have that action finished I can feel all right about crossposting the miscellaneous past scenes I've written for the Short Fic thread. Incoming:

CHRONICLES PAST, 10. In which Nalenne erases Niselle's monument

Spoiler

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 4.5. In which the sisters encounter each other at a bar

Spoiler

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 12.5. In which Niselle contributes to cultural knowledge

Spoiler

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 51.5. In which Nalenne gets her way and also chocolates

Spoiler

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 52.5. In which Nalenne enjoys the new domestic arrangement

Spoiler

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 56.5. In which Insanity Company discusses their weapons of choice

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

bright_ephemera
04.01.2013 , 07:06 PM | #174
CHRONICLES PRESENT, 59: In which Quinn makes note of the chain of command

Propriety, foremost and first,
Distinguishes best from the worst.
To know where to look
In which protocol book
Shows you're right and impeccably versed.

---

Time period: After Scourge's escape

"Pandorr," said Quinn, "I think it's past time to demote you."

Captain Pandorr gave Quinn a wide-eyed look. "Whatever for?"

"Insanity Company is full of overqualified officers. It isn't proper."

"Shouldn't we start with you, then, Quinn?" said Nalenne. "You're a general commanding a company. That's captain's work, major's at best."

"Most of my promotions since captain have been purely ornamental," said Quinn. "Including one that I believe you extracted at saber point. I don't count those ranks as meaningful. Pandorr, on the other hand, and Rutau, they've earned their captaincies and it is utterly inappropriate for them to be reduced to commanding platoons."

Rutau blinked worriedly. "You commanded fewer than that at your lost post, sir."

"My last post was with a Sith. She dictates whatever command structure she chooses. We're among sane people now," and here he conspicuously looked at everyone but Nalenne, "and there's paperwork to keep in order."

"Insanity Company laughs in the face of paperwork," declared Pandorr.

Quinn scowled. "Not while I'm commanding it, it doesn't."

"Hey," said Nalenne. "General. Remember when I helped you falsify your papers to keep your personnel certification records so we could keep requisitioning restricted military supplies?" (*)

Everyone gave Nalenne looks in varying degrees of interest.

Quinn squinched his eyes shut. "My lord, please..."

"I'm just saying. You've bent the truth before for maximum enjoyment in the field. I don't see why you can't do it now."

"I agree, my lord," said Rutau. "Sir, we're overqualified to a man."

"Except Lieutenant Hareth," Quinn pointed out. "She's neither overqualified nor a man."

"Except Lieutenant Hareth," conceded Rutau. "The point is, we ought to forget the rank plates and do our jobs."

"If you're to get anywhere in the Empire," Quinn said with a quiet intensity, "you never forget the rank plate."

"You're just mad yours was stuck on crooked for a year and a half while you were dead," scoffed Nalenne.

"It wouldn't have been a problem if you hadn't knocked it askew whilst stabbing me immediately before the transition to death," said Quinn. "Now I'm alive, I'm in charge, we're observing the proper chain of command and we're playing it by the book."

"I'm Sith, I can take over the whole operation, and I say your captains stay."

"You can't take over Insanity Company. That's mine."

Nalenne waved. "Sith."

Quinn scowled. "Wrath."

"You were never confirmed as Wrath. The Servants just tossed the idea around before we got back together."

"The Emperor's Hand spoke, Nalenne."

"Darth Marr shot you down in front of the whole Dark Council."

"He was expressing equal levels of displeasure with both of us by the end. I…will confess I didn't quite hear their final decision, since I was busy with you." (*)

"Likewise. So we should probably assume that I still outrank you." Nalenne raised her hands. "I don't want to command the stupid thing, I just want your captains to keep their positions."

"You're the best Wrath ever," beamed Pandorr.

"You'll consider it, General. Right?" Rutau said anxiously.

"There's little for me to consider once the Wrath has made up her mind," grumbled Quinn.

"That would be correct, General," purred Nalenne.
Bright's Fanfic Threads

kabeone
04.02.2013 , 12:31 AM | #175
I love this. *fangirl flailing*
Quote:
We're among sane people now
wut?

Quote:
"I agree, my lord," said Rutau. "Sir, we're overqualified to a man."

"Except Lieutenant Hareth," Quinn pointed out. "She's neither overqualified nor a man."
Hareth does not need paperwork to sacrifice herself for the glory of the Empire!

bright_ephemera
06.28.2013 , 03:58 PM | #176
What's a three-month hiatus between friends?

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 60: In which Nalenne picks up the trail

A Pureblooded malice machine
Would draw some attention, if seen.
Or so you’d expect,
But he’s more circumspect
Than you’d think, when escaping the scene.

---

Time period: After Scourge’s betrayal

Quinn made it to the lounge at a fast clip and stopped short at the overstuffed couch where Nalenne was ensconced.

She looked up from her comic datapad. “Hi?”

“My lord. We have picked up Lord Scourge’s trail.”

“I thought that was Rho’s problem?”

Quinn frowned. “Lord Scourge has made himself an enemy of the Empire several times over.”

“That’s still a perfectly good problem for Rho.”

“Insanity Company wants the chance, my lord.”

“I was told their operations wouldn’t interfere with my slacking off.”

“You can stay on the Method, you’ll be perfectly comfortable.” He looked around the lounge, which had developed from a functional conference room into a jumble of couches, pillows, and a large-scale holo. “As you’ve already made yourself.”

“Fine. Where is RedHot, anyway?”

Quinn’s eye twitched once, but his voice remained all business. “He has struck on Alderaan.”

Nalenne did a double take. “He found a survivor to kill?”

“There is an archive there that was just hit by a ‘mystery Sith.’ He stormed in, murdered the archivist, downloaded one file, and left.”

“What file?”

“This year’s Who’s Who at the Jedi Academy.” The look in Quinn’s eye promised painful Imperial death to whoever got caught with it. “He’s seeking his next Chosen One.”

Kira showed up on the holo.

“Hi,” said Jaesa, hardly sweating at all.

“Hey! You ever going to come over for the My Little Nerfling movie?”

“Yes, I just…”

Nalenne glared daggers. “You were going to watch that with me!” she hissed.

“Um,” Jaesa said helplessly. “Listen, Kira, we need help finding a certain Jedi padawan.”

“To do what with him, exactly?”

“Her. Lord Scourge is looking for her. So we have to find her first.”

“Wow, and you’re not going to do it by killing in a straight line until a clue shows up? You really are a crack outfit these days.”

“Please, can you help?” Nalenne was still glaring at Jaesa. Jaesa’s forehead was definitely glistening.

Kira didn’t seem to notice. “If it gets us Lord Scourge? I’ll find out what Jedi Master took her on. Just get me a name and I’ll find out what planet she was bound for.”

After Kira vanished, Broonmark cleared his proboscis. “Killing in a straight line is tactically valid,” he quorked. “Jedi clan never appreciates this.”

Nalenne nodded sympathetically. “Maybe next time.”

“So we hope.”
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Adwynyth
06.29.2013 , 02:10 AM | #177
SQUEE! More Nalenne!
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

bright_ephemera
06.29.2013 , 05:49 AM | #178
CHRONICLES PRESENT, 61: In which Nalenne finds a direction or two

Nostalgia is scarcely the word
When certain old names are re-heard.
A place best forgotten
When first declared rotten
Still sucks on the second or third.

---

Kira passed them the word.

“So,” Quinn said dramatically. “We return to Balmorra.”

“Again?” cried a bright-eyed Rutau.

“Again?” groaned Nalenne.

“It’ll beat Taris, at any rate,” said Pandorr.

“And Hoth,” said Ritter.

“I know literally nothing about the place,” said Durmat.

“The Emperor’s will will be ascendant on that cursed planet this time!” said Hareth.

“There won’t be any rituals,” asserted Quinn, sotto voce.

Hareth cleared her throat. “No, of course not.”

The Method tore through space, returning to the site of some of Insanity Company’s greatest memories. Or absence of memories thanks to chemical intervention.

Nalenne was planning, for once. She had her concerns as she approached Broonmark. “I was just thinking. Can you make a stim strong to keep Rutau in fighting shape throughout the battle this time?”

“Fully replacing Sith clan’s self-preservation failure with mechanical parts and adding fully redundant limbs might help,” blorped Broonmark. “Nothing less is likely to make a difference.”

“Well, it was worth asking.”

Vette found her practicing menacing poses with her lightsaber in her quarters. The Twi’lek let herself in.

“Hi,” said Nalenne, eyeing her curiously.

“Hey. Had a question.”

“Sure.” She paid close attention; she was finding a vague pang of guilt over having neglected her non-warlike friends lately.

“I’ve been thinking. Would you be up for coming on a Nar Shaddaa outing next week? There's this festival they have every year down in the Nautolan projects - sounds sketchy, is sketchy, but it's a great time, and I figured a week-long vacation..."

Nalenne arched her brow ridges. “You mean a week-long bender.”

“That’s what I said. Still. That’s where I scored that Dark Son first printing last time I got to go. I thought you and me and Jaesa…I mean, we can go back to the campaign of terror after, don’t get me wrong, can’t get enough of that, but…just a few girls’ days off?”

“You said the magic words.”

Vette considered. “The comic book ones?”

“Bingo.”

Vette grinned. “We’re on, then. As soon as this disaster’s over.”
Bright's Fanfic Threads

kabeone
06.29.2013 , 10:07 AM | #179
Quote:
“I know literally nothing about the place,” said Durmat.
That bit is never going to stop being funny.

bright_ephemera
06.29.2013 , 06:49 PM | #180
CHRONICLES PRESENT, 62: In which Nalenne lands on Balmorra

The atmosphere gets downright heady
When any invasion gets ready.
When those in command
Take the battle in hand,
They might neither go slow nor steady.

---

The tiny, misshapen scrap heap that Rho called a ship flew in the shadow of the Method. When they reached orbit Rho unexpectedly opened a comm channel.

“Did I say I wanted conversation?” said Nalenne.

“Hello, Master Rho,” said Jaesa.

“Suckup,” muttered Pierce.

“We should contact ground control,” said Rho. “For a safe landing.”

“I was just going to drop in shooting,” said Nalenne.

Rho didn’t answer. Instead the image of a man in a Republic uniform flickered in.

“What is this?” he blustered. “Are you responsible for the Imperial warship?”

“And happy about it,” said Nalenne.

Rho cut in. “I'm a Jedi. I'm here to help. We’re seeking a young Jedi in the company of a Sith Lord–"

Nalenne didn’t listen to the end of that sentence, because it was thundered over by the impact of something on the Method’s shields.

“Ion cannon fire,” reported Quinn. “Keep those shields up, men. Officers, prepare the shuttles to land.”

“Please,” Rho said hurriedly, “we come in peace!”

"You're here with Sith!" shouted ground control.

"So are you!" said Nalenne. “Or he’s somewhere down there.”

“They’re not slowing down,” reported Hareth. “Our chance for glory has come.”

“Dammit,” said Nalenne. “Let’s just go.”

Quinn piloted the lead shuttle that descended alongside Rho’s ship; the shuttles carrying the remainder of Insanity Company trailed. The formation wobbled, broke, and reformed repeatedly around the ion cannon fire. They made a rough landing in a bombed-out area named, their maps helpfully supplied, Bugtown.

Rutau led the first squad to land beside them. He blinked and looked around, his expression brightening. “I recognize this area!”

“I don’t,” Ensign Rylon said cheerfully.

Rutau laughed. “I broke my leg for the first time over at the Okara Droid Factory, that way.”

From over a small ridge, Captain Pandorr brought another squad. He waved enthusiastically at Nalenne and the other officers. “Had to land separately after that last blast, milord. Ready to go now. But wow, you should’ve seen where we landed! Colicoids! The size of ‘em! Stumongous! Give 'em a little leg up, so to speak, maybe some stims or something, and they'll clear the Republic for us!"

"Focus."

“General! My lord!” Lieutenant Hareth marched up smartly and saluted. “Ready to commence the conflagration for the great glory of–”

"Lieutenant,” said Nalenne, “has anybody told you that the Emperor explicitly isn't searching for mass death? That was the part Lord Scourge made up?”

Hareth's mouth worked silently for a moment. Her eyes got a distinctly watery look.

"Oh, don't...look, glorious victory without all our people dying is still on the table. You know. Rah, rah, huzzah for the Empire?"

"It just isn't the same," she said miserably.

Vette gave an earsplitting whistle. “All right, guys,” Vette yelled. “We’re here for a reason, so you’re gonna have to save most of the chaotic-milling-around until after Nalenne gets what she wants.”

“You’re the best,” said Nalenne.

“Somebody’s gotta keep this circus going.”

“All right then.” Rutau looked across the valley to the droid factory, sighed, and hefted his rifle. "For the Empire!"

“And what’s right,” called Rho, jogging up with Kira in tow.

Nalenne rolled her eyes. Ordinarily she wasn’t a patriot, but for contrarianism’s sake she could be. “For the Empire!”
Bright's Fanfic Threads