Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Writers' Workshop


elliotcat's Avatar


elliotcat
07.18.2012 , 09:58 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
I just started experimenting with a spreadsheet that may or may not be useful. It's good for immediately comparing ages.

An overly detailed breakdown of how this works:
Spoiler


Weird, maybe, but it gives me ages at a glance, which saves me a lot of messy counting.
That's so awesome! I want to figure out how to do it too, but I am really, REALLY bad at spreadsheets. It sucks because I'm a chemist. I make them constantly. D:

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

kabeone's Avatar


kabeone
07.18.2012 , 10:22 PM | #22
Oh, timeline, I just started one because the timing is more exact in my story, previously I just had an order of events with a rough number of months in between. I wanted to keep it fluid because I wasn't sure if I wanted to add more flashback stories. It is getting harder to keep track so I'll probably make a spreadsheet soon.

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
07.19.2012 , 05:52 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
That's so awesome! I want to figure out how to do it too, but I am really, REALLY bad at spreadsheets. It sucks because I'm a chemist. I make them constantly. D:
I *think* I have a sufficiently generalized sheet put together. I put it up on Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?6t2c2r1ny21y2dy

If you don't want to use the quarter-by-quarter age functionality, just leave column C as all ones.

If you know your age at the beginning of the game (that is, the beginning of the year 10), figure out your birth year as follows:
Born ATC (after the Treaty of Coruscant)? Birth year is 10 - your age at game start - 1
Born BTC? Birth year is 10 - your age at game start - 2 (hello, skipping a year between -1 and 1)

Excel may yammer about compatibility cells when you try to save. Honestly, I have no idea why it's doing this; the equations all work. If you have Office 2010 you can save this as .xlsx to make that compatibility complaint go away.

Finally, if you wish to extend the timeline, select a block of cells two columns wide at either end of the timeline and extending down all the rows you want. Click the lil' black square in the lower right corner of your selection and drag horizontally to copy the date progression, the age formulas, everything. (If you're extending into the past you'll need to create blank columns to accommodate this dragging first.)
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

GhostriderHawk's Avatar


GhostriderHawk
07.19.2012 , 08:26 AM | #24
Bright, this timeline is very good. I've also been looking for a way to keep all my character's ages and stories straight considering the multi-generational plot of my legacy and the game. However, a couple things I feel I should point out to the benefit of all.

First, according to Wookiepedia (I know, not the best source, but still...) and Bioware's upcoming novel Annihilation, written by Drew Karpyshyn, the Treat of Coruscant actually lasted about 12 years before finally breaking and the "Second Great Galactic War" beginning. This probably means that somewhere between the end of Chapter I and the start of Chapter 3 (for most classes) is when the war restarted.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cold_War

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Secon...t_Galactic_War

All this does is really move your blue/red bar over 2 cells, but technically it would be more accurate. Plus, the start of the war may mean some changes to someone's legacy.

Second, I think the timeline would benefit considerably from extra rows between each characters that details when their respective class stories (i.e. Prologue, Chapter I, Chapter II, Chapter III) occurred. While we can go through the class stories in about 3 weeks, I'm fairly sure these stories actually lasted several years, with the Interlude somewhere past the 12 ATC. Furthermore, since all the class stories do not occur exactly simultaneously and the fact that some legacies may have multiple generations, keeping track of these plots for multiple characters could be quite an arduous task.

While some class stories occur before others, I personally also hold (for my characters' canonical purposes) that some parts of the class stories may occur before the 10-year time frame given to us in the game.

Spoiler


Anyways, food for thought and good work on the timeline.

elliotcat's Avatar


elliotcat
07.19.2012 , 09:02 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
I *think* I have a sufficiently generalized sheet put together. I put it up on Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?6t2c2r1ny21y2dy

If you don't want to use the quarter-by-quarter age functionality, just leave column C as all ones.

If you know your age at the beginning of the game (that is, the beginning of the year 10), figure out your birth year as follows:
Born ATC (after the Treaty of Coruscant)? Birth year is 10 - your age at game start - 1
Born BTC? Birth year is 10 - your age at game start - 2 (hello, skipping a year between -1 and 1)

Excel may yammer about compatibility cells when you try to save. Honestly, I have no idea why it's doing this; the equations all work. If you have Office 2010 you can save this as .xlsx to make that compatibility complaint go away.

Finally, if you wish to extend the timeline, select a block of cells two columns wide at either end of the timeline and extending down all the rows you want. Click the lil' black square in the lower right corner of your selection and drag horizontally to copy the date progression, the age formulas, everything. (If you're extending into the past you'll need to create blank columns to accommodate this dragging first.)
OK, I got it working for 3 people...what formulae are you using to add more people? I figured out everyone's birthdates fine and everything, but I'm not sure how to add more people. It's probably because Excel makes it really, really hard.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
07.19.2012 , 09:11 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by GhostriderHawk View Post
Bright, this timeline is very good. I've also been looking for a way to keep all my character's ages and stories straight considering the multi-generational plot of my legacy and the game. However, a couple things I feel I should point out to the benefit of all.

First, according to Wookiepedia (I know, not the best source, but still...) and Bioware's upcoming novel Annihilation, written by Drew Karpyshyn, the Treat of Coruscant actually lasted about 12 years before finally breaking and the "Second Great Galactic War" beginning. This probably means that somewhere between the end of Chapter I and the start of Chapter 3 (for most classes) is when the war restarted.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cold_War

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Secon...t_Galactic_War

...

Anyways, food for thought and good work on the timeline.
Oh, excellent, thank you for these details and corrections! There's no easy way for me to edit the Mediafire download without doing a new upload and link every time, but I'll be tweaking my personal spreadsheet, and your post is here for reference.

Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
OK, I got it working for 3 people...what formulae are you using to add more people? I figured out everyone's birthdates fine and everything, but I'm not sure how to add more people. It's probably because Excel makes it really, really hard.
To add a new character, select an entire existing character row (by clicking the row number at the absolute far left and CTRL+C, then select the empty row you want to use and CTRL+V. I've made an effort to appropriately float/lock cell numbers to gracefully migrate/copy to new rows.

I probably should've said to start with, Columns A, B, and C are the ones you fill in to get auto-calculated ages in all the other columns. Might be obvious, but...yeah. Enter name and year/quarter of birth.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

greyjedibp's Avatar


greyjedibp
07.29.2012 , 01:24 PM | #27
I am trying to write a story called Swtor:Heavy Rain.
It is base on a game called Heavy Rain.
Should post my chaper here and someone can tell my spelling mistake or do I just ask for someone aviade how to make it better

Earthmama's Avatar


Earthmama
07.29.2012 , 01:54 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by greyjedibp View Post
I am trying to write a story called Swtor:Heavy Rain.
It is base on a game called Heavy Rain.
Should post my chaper here and someone can tell my spelling mistake or do I just ask for someone aviade how to make it better
This is a fan fic board about the game SWTOR. Not your other game.

WE are NOT a word processor, editing is the responsibility of the author. You have been told on a number of occasions to get a word processor to help with your spelling and grammar. You choose not to get one or use one, and by the looks of it, you don't even review what you write. You claim English is your first language, if that's the case and if you love writing so much maybe you can ask your parents or a teacher for help. This is not English class. If you have a disability, I commend you for attempting to explore this and all the more reason to ask for a family member or a teacher to assist you if you don't have access to a word processor.

People have tried to be gracious and patient and nice about this, but you don't seem to get it, so I'm being blunt.

I wish you luck.

greyjedibp's Avatar


greyjedibp
07.29.2012 , 02:01 PM | #29
Frist off it crossover of the two games (really have not read title)and I did said before I will get better wordpad as soon as possibe I just really busy on my game aright and do have point those and parent do not know anything about Star wars or they would had help.

kabeone's Avatar


kabeone
07.29.2012 , 02:32 PM | #30
Building readership in a small community

So I've seen some posts from at least four different writers who complain about not getting responses (most have fallen off the front page). It made me think about good strategies for getting people to read your stuff AND comment. Since I'm not that good at writing I don't get tons of comments but I have noticed many similarities from those who do so here's what I think would help people to get comments or readership if that's what you need to continue this hobby:

Note: This is not about what you write or writing style. This is more like "posting style" or "community participation"

1. Portion control
Reading is fun but most of us have other things to do. So many of the most successful stories are cut up into consumable pieces that can be read at leisure and continued later. I think a great deal of the success of the short fic thread is that it's easy to read, easy to pick up, and you can leave and come back and catch up effortlessly.

2. Formatting
This is the internet TLDR is a thing because reading stuff on a monitor is not the greatest thing. Wall of Text may be a matter of preference but when someone opens your thread and sees their little scrolly bar turn into a 1 pixel thing they might say, "I don't have time to read that much" and move on to something more consumable.

3. Teasers and Easy reading
I will read long stuff if it I like the short stuff I have read by someone. I will also like humorous exerpts and things that give me a good idea of an authors style and content before I dive in to a larger work.

4. Write new stuff
If you wrote something that did not get a lot of comments, write something else. It does not have to be a different style. But we all like new shiny stuff. Sometimes I will read but not comment until I see a particular phrase that hits me or a scene that makes me really mad.

5. Participate in the community
If you have not commented on someone else's writing or participated in the discussion threads in the past few months try participating in other people's stuff. The people who receive the most comments often leave comments for other people. There are probably more lurkers than posters in this forum and it takes a lot to get someone to unlurk. If you cannot find a single thread here you would want to participate in you might be in the wrong place

Edited to remove the less helpful suggestions.

So that brings me to my questions.

For Writers:
What do you do to try to make your work more easily received?
What did you expect the first time you made a thread?

For Readers:
What makes you comment on a thread or not?