Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Class Storyline?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Best Class Storyline?

Cheshyr
12.13.2011 , 11:48 AM | #1
For the most part I don't care which side of the war I'm on, or whether I'm Lightside or Darkside. I tend to prefer stealth & dps style gameplay, but I'm open to tanking, healing, and utility.

Since this game is going to be competing for time with Skyrim, I'd like to hear opinions on which Race / Class / Faction combo has the most entertaining plotline. I know it'll genericize in the end, but keeping my attention through the first few levels is important, since I'll likely bias my opinion of most of the game on those first few hours of gameplay.

Rewrench
12.13.2011 , 12:02 PM | #2
Many were raving about how imperial agent was great story. I havnt seen much of it my self.
But I have seen this unofficial trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJNhnOc9voM
As for race.. Id do Chiss my self.

ZakMorgan
12.13.2011 , 12:56 PM | #3
A light sided Imperial Agent probably.

The Jedi/Sith stories are a little to cliched IMO, Smuggler/trooper/BH are all subjective depending on the type of person.
Founder, and proud Agent since day one

Sanctioned
12.13.2011 , 01:23 PM | #4
In beta, I tried playing every single class a little bit. I was determined to skip scenes so I can max my limited weekend-beta time. Imperial Agent was the only one I actually slowed down and really got into the story with. I think BH's story would've wowed me too, if I played it longer.

Both republic and empire force classes were a little too predictable and tired. Trooper's story was a little meh as well; though I do have hope it gets better afterwards. I made a smug but didn't play it at all.

I have to say, IA has the best story from my experience.

Sanctioned
12.13.2011 , 01:25 PM | #5
Race-wise, and as far as IA goes, plenty people think the story is best as a Chiss, but really that's your own preference on what you want your character to be. Mine was a cyborg femIA, and loved it.

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 01:29 PM | #6
IA had the best story that I played in the levels up to mid teens, between Trooper, SI, BH, and IA. It was far more fun than the others, and noticeably better scripted. Keep in mind that the classes share all the side quests as well. Trooper plays like a dishrag if you make an effort to go light side, but if you just turn off the LS/DS indicators and do whatever the heck you want, it might not feel so lame (probably a good idea with any class, really).

Kaliyo (IA) is the most smart alecky and fun companion, and you can get her around 7-9ish depending on how quick you do the class quest. Mako (BH) is one of the most welcome in terms of abilities for a low level toon, since you get her very early and she's a healer. Khem Val (SI) is also gruesome, fun, and a great slab of meat to have at your side.

The trooper's first pet is kind of a tool and only does DPS, making him a lot less useful at the lower levels than the tank or heal pets other classes get; and most annoying is that you don't even get him until after you complete the level 10 quest on the starter world. Most other classes get their first pet before finishing the starter class quest arc, which makes the final instance far easier than doing it alone.

As far as race goes; I never played a Chiss, but chose Sith on the SI, just for the loltastic social ability "Punish Companion."

Cheshyr
12.13.2011 , 02:54 PM | #7
Sounds like IA is the winner hands-down.

What does Race impact? I see references to Social abilities of the Sith... I assume other races have unique social abilities? Is that the only major difference, other than aesthetics?

honage
12.13.2011 , 03:43 PM | #8
IA and Smuggler both have AWESOME stories.

WARNING SPOILERS BELOW:

Watch the following videos if you want a taste of each class. I'm not sure who made them, but they really give you a feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtkgy2VRhrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJNhnOc9voM

Sanctioned
12.13.2011 , 03:43 PM | #9
Yes, unrealistically (but politically correct), there are no statistical differences between races. They wanted people to play what they wanted to play, instead of what's "best".

bobmcbo
12.13.2011 , 04:26 PM | #10
so far, a lightsided rattataki agent has a great storyline, even a pretty funny side quest
OMG! Imperial ships can get a .00008% power increase! Nerf the empire!