Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Beware of fake email

dandamanno
06.18.2012 , 01:58 PM | #11
"And in other news....Nigerian princes are offering rewards of up to 6 million dollars to anyone who will help them funnel their funds into America. Simply submitting your personal banking information will allow you to partake of such extraordinary opportunites..."

Seriously, it's 2012. Fake emails like these have been around for 10 years already.

irishfino
06.18.2012 , 02:00 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Liokae View Post
T
2: ... why on earth would you need an official announcement from Bioware about every single specific phishing attempt?
Because there are people who still fall for it.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

SpazCats
06.18.2012 , 02:12 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DiabloDoom View Post
I wonder where they are getting the emails from? What other SWTOR sites have you guys signed up to?
I have often wondered this as well Diablo. A couple of years ago I signed up for a WoW account (yep, finally broke down and tried it).

I had never received any gaming phishing scam e-mails before, but right after signing up for the WoW account, I started getting them. The e-mails were not just phishing scams for WoW either, they were for games I have never played as well. I still get them intermittently.

So where exactly do these scammers get our e-mails from?

And I have not signed up for any third party gaming sites with my e-mail (like torhead, etc).

Liokae
06.18.2012 , 02:28 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
Because there are people who still fall for it.
The point was that there's a massive number of distinct, different versions of the phish. Expecting an announcement on each of them, or even on a single one other than a generic 'protect your account' thing that they have along with the authenticator, is silly.

Liquidacid
06.18.2012 , 02:32 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DiabloDoom View Post
I wonder where they are getting the emails from? What other SWTOR sites have you guys signed up to?
it's fishing they might not have signed up for any other SWTOR sites... I've gotten this same fishing letter but for WoW on the e-mail I use for this game despite the fact I created it last Christmas for this game and have never used it for anything else
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Dodia
06.18.2012 , 02:33 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by KJOhio View Post
Yeah. I received email for WoW which I have not played in over a year. I logged in with fake account name and expletives for the password.
Whoa, did you click on the link in the email? Not good, even if you put phony information in the link they sent you, I can guarentee that they have keyloggers on that website. If you did visit it I suggest you start scanning your system with MalwareBytes ASAP.

SpazCats
06.18.2012 , 02:52 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
it's fishing they might not have signed up for any other SWTOR sites... I've gotten this same fishing letter but for WoW on the e-mail I use for this game despite the fact I created it last Christmas for this game and have never used it for anything else
But that doesn't answer the question... how are these people getting our e-mail addresses in the first place?

Mithros
06.18.2012 , 03:02 PM | #18
Bioware has already told us that any e-mails coming from any address not theirs is not theirs.

They have told us to protect our accounts.

Heck, if someone has a working brain at all they should be able to recognize that this e-mail would do nothing to help anyone resolve the problem that they are saying exisits, and that should make them suspicious.

If they were to announce every variation on every scam that anyone might try to pull on a player, they would fill pages of the forums, and for what?

To tell people that a 'friend' of theirs that sent them an e-mail, offered no details of the friendship, but that was thinking about trying out SWTOR and was wondering if you would mind sending them your account name and password so that they could try it out one day while you were at work (but again, never asking what hours or days you work) is trying to scam them, and then to repeat that same thing replacing 'friend' with mother, father, sister, brother, cousin, niece, nephew, aunt, uncle, or whatever generation of grandparent or grandchild?

If a person actually falls for something like this, it is not Bioware's fault because they didn't post a specific warning.
Free stuff (for you and me)! My referral link.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

Liquidacid
06.18.2012 , 03:02 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SpazCats View Post
But that doesn't answer the question... how are these people getting our e-mail addresses in the first place?
from anywhere... companies routinely sell lists of e-mails... hell I'm sure places like Hotmail and G-mail themselves sell lists...
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Lundli
06.18.2012 , 03:04 PM | #20
I usually create a new email for each game, something like "fvffd12#SwD@whatever.com", then I never use it for anything else. Strangely enough after some time I often end up getting those emails anyway