Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Which gender for each class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which gender for each class?

Shotgonius's Avatar


Shotgonius
06.11.2012 , 06:12 PM | #1
Which gender fits really well with which class?
LIke, for example, I've heard the male trooper is better than the female one, but the female Agent is better than the male one.

Give your thoughts.

Flaminica's Avatar


Flaminica
06.11.2012 , 06:46 PM | #2
The ones that jump out at me:

Agent - Male by a landslide. The male voice is better sounding and far better acted. Either gender can wear trenchcoats but men look better in the uniform jackets.

Consular - Female easily. JC gear is very feminine (all pastel, lace and bonnets) and looks silly on men.
Jedi Knight - Male for the same reason as Consulars. The Obi-Wan bathrobes and armor plate are mannish and unflattering on most females. Oddly, I do not find the same true of Inquisitors or Warriors. The devs seem to have applied a certain degree of gender bias into Republic-side costume design that doesn't exist in the Imperial ones.

Trooper - Hrrm. I have trouble believing a tiny female Trooper as leader of Havok Squad. Yes, I know that's sexist. Sorry, it's the social programming. Yes, I'm female.

JMarchini's Avatar


JMarchini
06.11.2012 , 10:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Flaminica View Post
The ones that jump out at me:

Agent - Male by a landslide. The male voice is better sounding and far better acted. Either gender can wear trenchcoats but men look better in the uniform jackets.

Consular - Female easily. JC gear is very feminine (all pastel, lace and bonnets) and looks silly on men.
Jedi Knight - Male for the same reason as Consulars. The Obi-Wan bathrobes and armor plate are mannish and unflattering on most females. Oddly, I do not find the same true of Inquisitors or Warriors. The devs seem to have applied a certain degree of gender bias into Republic-side costume design that doesn't exist in the Imperial ones.

Trooper - Hrrm. I have trouble believing a tiny female Trooper as leader of Havok Squad. Yes, I know that's sexist. Sorry, it's the social programming. Yes, I'm female.
The most jarring thing ever, to me anyways is the female trooper is voiced by Jennifer Hale and I can only thing of the female Commander Shepard....

I've only played an Agent all the way through and currently leveling a Consular. For the Agent, both Male and Female are very well voiced, I like the voice of the male, he's cool, calm and collected, even when his pissed, fits perfectly with the character.

I actually like the Male Consular voice quite a bit (it's Nolan North, who voices Nathan Drake, Desmond Miles, and like a million other video game characters.) And I disagree that most Consular Robes are feminine, there are a quite a few that look pretty good.

In my opinion, the Empire classes faired better in regards to the voice acting, any of them are really good.

Fallerup's Avatar


Fallerup
06.11.2012 , 10:54 PM | #4
I picked Female agent purely because it's Jo Wyatt voice. I loved her work ever since I first heard her do Dragon age 2.

I picked character gender from the Voice actor... so I made a few characters (empire) and played a few lvls of each, 1 female, 1 male and then picked 4. Female Agent was a no brainer, the male voice annoyed me, I knew that from videos I've seen, Female SI was the only one I didn't pick because of the voice actor, but she's brilliant none the less. I wanted that character to be female. Male bounty hunter and male warrior, because I thought they sounded better.

since then, I have made male SI and female SW as well.

the male Agent doesn't annoy me as much as it did in the start, he does sound like a cool costumer, but Jo Wyatt, very few beat her in the VO department.

Sorry Jennifer, I still like you
Gagota Class: Arsenal Mercenary
Member Of
Dark Brotherhood
Server: Tomb Of Freedon nadd EU

Kaigen's Avatar


Kaigen
06.11.2012 , 10:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Flaminica View Post
Trooper - Hrrm. I have trouble believing a tiny female Trooper as leader of Havok Squad. Yes, I know that's sexist. Sorry, it's the social programming. Yes, I'm female.
So don't be tiny. Body type 3 is just as huge for the female as the male .

I mostly go by voice actors. I quickly discovered that I found the voice actor for the male consular insufferable, and I'm a big fan of Jennifer Hale, who voices the female Trooper, so that played a big part for me. I'll echo Flaminica in saying that the male Agent has fantastic voice acting, particularly if you like snide/sarcastic responses (my favorite so far: "You know, normal people don't have this problem.").

DragonFair's Avatar


DragonFair
06.12.2012 , 11:03 AM | #6
I just play female for every class. Though I would still pick a female agent even if I didn't. Jo Wyatt is awsome.

ejadavidson's Avatar


ejadavidson
06.12.2012 , 11:39 AM | #7
My female jedi looks sexy in her sentinel clothes. I could see that maybe guardian in heavy armor might not look so great. Heavy armor in general doesn't look good on females. Poor Kaliyo, I wish I could turn her head slot off. She looks awful. She's thin so that heavy armor is horrible on her. That heavy armor look is why I keep deleting my female bounty hunter.

Otherwise, I think male for IA. It's the only male toon I've ever played and I'm so glad I did. Bertie Carvel voice is awsome. He has that husky tone when he's being a b*stard. I love the actor just based on his voice. LOL. But then I'm female and I'm a sucker for that type of voice.

I've been playing a male and a female smuggler on and off and not sure which I like better. I need to make a choice at some point.

I have a female inquisitor, she works well. I also have a female sith warrior, but I'm wondering if a male toon would be better for that.
Anina -50 jedi sentinel
Banim- 50 sniper
Jaxsyn - 30 powertech
Dezzerey - 37 gunslinger

SmileMoar's Avatar


SmileMoar
06.12.2012 , 10:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
So don't be tiny. Body type 3 is just as huge for the female as the male .
Really because I find that Male Body type 3 is still quite bigger than the female type 3. The female type 3 seems to be on par with male type 2 :/

Or maybe its just me?

Quote: Originally Posted by ejadavidson View Post
That heavy armor look is why I keep deleting my female bounty hunter.
Lol heavy armor is a part of the reason I went female on my BH. But I will agree with you that Kaylio looks terrible in some of he armor that they have for her.

OT.

Warrior - Male to me just fits so well, we've all seen Malgus and his raw rage of display as he cuts through battle. To me it just makes so much sense to be a male warrior since in my mind it fits better with the raw, brutal rage that warriors embody. The voice of the male to me was just brilliant and helped give this sense of underlying threats in his words.

IA - Both female and male to me sounded great. Personally I went with male however as his voice was always calm cool and collected, even when he was angry, which to me is what agents are all about. More of a calm sociopath sort of thing.

SI - I went female for this character, a female rattataki to be specific, since in my mind it fit much better with the story line. I do admit that the male voice was a bit better in my mind by of well such is life.

BH - I went a body type 3 female as I was inspired by some NPCs that had this look going and figured it fit best with a person who was living in a world where strength and physical fitness helps out a lot. That and I felt that from an RP perspective we have a well established list of successful female bounty hunters so this didn't fell out of place. Also also it may just be me but I felt the female voice actor conveyed sarcasm in her speech *better* than the male, at least as far as I could tell.

LadyDarkkitten's Avatar


LadyDarkkitten
06.13.2012 , 12:00 AM | #9
On the subject of female sith warriors, I found an orange skirt and orange chest, both red, while in balmora, looks fine and "evil sexy". The female sw storyline is also really good if you pursue your romance options.

elsewhere I am coming to think I made a mistake by rolling all female chars, the lack of casual dating/flirting while missoning is annoying: there I said it men get all the "action" in this game P
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr
Here is my argument. The PvP is so good and balanced the game has to go free to play if it hopes to survive. More than 2/3rds of the player base left because PvP is too good. It's so good and balanced that no one wants to play it.

PaintSticks's Avatar


PaintSticks
06.13.2012 , 05:51 AM | #10
I have all 8 chars going and i have 4 of each gender. My Jedi Knight, Smuggler, Sith Warrior, and Sith Inquisitor are all guys. My Jedi Consular, Trooper, Agent and Bounty Hunter are all girls.