Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JediMB
01.04.2013 , 03:38 PM | #5001
Quote: Originally Posted by KidRaid View Post
In ME3 (IIRC) you were able to make advances to her as a femshep. She however did shut you down stating that she was not interested.
Can't recall anything in ME3 (as I only played through it once), but in ME2, by the end of her conversation tree (or thereabouts), she simply says that "I'm not into the whole girl's club thing." Some interpret that as being about same-sex relationships, but I figure she meant that she's not into gossiping and such.

Definitely agree on that the games need more characters you can flirt with who actually turn you down because you're not their type, though. Dragon Age has had a bit of this, especially in part 2, although I'd also like to see romances that depend on the player's play style (that is, the player character's personality and actions) at large, rather than just navigating that specific companion's dialogue tree correctly.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Tremed
01.04.2013 , 04:08 PM | #5002
Here is a link to my guilds website.
Tranquility
The topic their shows the upcoming additions in 1.7 which includes same sex relationships.

Tatile
01.04.2013 , 04:26 PM | #5003
Quote: Originally Posted by Tremed View Post
Here is a link to my guilds website.
Tranquility
The topic their shows the upcoming additions in 1.7 which includes same sex relationships.
Aren't 1.7 and Rise of the Hutt Cartel going to be different patches? 1.7 should be coming mid-to-late January; Makeb is "spring".

DoctorComics
01.04.2013 , 04:29 PM | #5004
I think if we want to predict what SGR will look like for Companions, we have to ask ourselves, "What is the least work?"

Imagine two new post-50 companions, ala HK. One is male. One is female. Both can be acquired by either Imperial or Republic players. Both can ONLY be romanced by the same gender.

This would satisfy everything we have been told thus far regarding SGR and Companions and it doesn't require anyone to go back into the game and rewrite or rerecord anything. You have to do the dialog tracks, but only for two companions and ONLY for the romance and any casual chat they make on kills or click or whatever. Considering the number of classes and genders in the game, its the most efficient way to create a playable SGR for everyone who wants one.

Kioma
01.04.2013 , 04:33 PM | #5005
Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorComics View Post
Considering the number of classes and genders in the game, its the most efficient way to create a playable SGR for everyone who wants one.
Maybe, maybe not. Either way 'efficient' and 'suitable' aren't necessarily the same thing. I don't personally think this is the road they'll take. If it were then I think chances are good it'd have been slated for inclusion in Makeb rather than the non-companion flirt option they're taking. They seem set on doing things A Certain Way (which they won't elaborate on) and from the Hickman update it sounds a lot like 'the most efficient way' isn't on the cards.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

SirGladiator
01.04.2013 , 05:08 PM | #5006
You don't really get much conversation with Jack in ME3, I think the 'girls club' thing is about gossip and such, its so innocuous I can't even remember if its in ME2 or ME3. She isn't straight, and she doesn't 'shoot down' FemShep, they just cut out the romance at the last minute so her conversations just abruptly end. Kind've like with Tali, who tells FemShep she wants to sleep with her (her species version of it anyway) and FemShep simply isn't given a chance to respond, again because the head ME guy forced them to take her romance with FemShep out of the game. This is the way a few at the top of Bioware operate, the VAST majority support SGRs, but like, the head of ME forcing them to remove all the SGRs from ME2, and the head of SWTOR not allowing any, they're in the minority in the company, but they have all the power in every franchise except DA right now. The head of the ME series was so hilariously bad at defending his decision (first it was because he 'wrote Shepard as straight', which was obviously untrue because in ME Shepard could be a lesbian, then he was asked specificly about why FemShep players couldn't romance Tali, he said it was because he wanted the romance to be 'fun and innocent', that one reached new heights of insanity and offensiveness, I think he stopped even trying to make excuses after that, thats why he put in NPC romances in ME3, hoping to get folks off his back and make him look 'inclusive', while keeping all the female teammate LIs (except Liara, who had been available from the beginning) from FemShep in ME3 just like he did in ME2. The only actual teammate LI he added, and only because he had to add one, was a dude, and of course the only reason he did that is because that dude was dead for the vast majority of players.

Obviously the statement about it being 'much harder than he realized' to implement SGRs with current companions is untrue, because you just have to get rid of the gender checks, its one of the easiest changes they could possibly make to the game. But at least there was enough pressure that he felt the need to make something up. Hopefully we can keep up the pressure until finally he relents, pretends he worked REALLY REALLY hard to add them to the game, and does away with the gender checks so we can finally enjoy the romances. People will think he worked for over a year instead of the hours or days it actually takes to make the changes, he will look like a hero, and we'll all be winners.

Lillark
01.04.2013 , 05:37 PM | #5007
I think if we want to predict what SGR will look like for Companions, we have to ask ourselves, "What is the least work?"

Imagine two new post-50 companions, ala HK. One is male. One is female. Both can be acquired by either Imperial or Republic players. Both can ONLY be romanced by the same gender.

This would satisfy everything we have been told thus far regarding SGR and Companions and it doesn't require anyone to go back into the game and rewrite or rerecord anything. You have to do the dialog tracks, but only for two companions and ONLY for the romance and any casual chat they make on kills or click or whatever. Considering the number of classes and genders in the game, its the most efficient way to create a playable SGR for everyone who wants one.
A very bad idea that would satisfy no one with a brain. Work through your whole game without a romance side story like straight characters and end up with the exact same choice as every other lesbian/homosexual. Not every male Sith Warrior or every female Agent but every player of your sexual preference of every class. There are many class/gender combinations with two choices among the companions, often the first companion you get, and none are the same as any other class. Vette is great but imagine if every Sith had her or nothing, whether warrior or inquisitor? She would get real old real fast.

chuixupu
01.04.2013 , 05:40 PM | #5008
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post

Obviously the statement about it being 'much harder than he realized' to implement SGRs with current companions is untrue, because you just have to get rid of the gender checks, its one of the easiest changes they could possibly make to the game. But at least there was enough pressure that he felt the need to make something up. Hopefully we can keep up the pressure until finally he relents, pretends he worked REALLY REALLY hard to add them to the game, and does away with the gender checks so we can finally enjoy the romances. People will think he worked for over a year instead of the hours or days it actually takes to make the changes, he will look like a hero, and we'll all be winners.
Yeah, they could have done that, but remember Daniel Erickson said this: "It is coming and it is coming with story updates. It is something that depends on the writers and we want to do right, and writers have a long lead time. We did not want to just change all the dialogue for the other gender. That is not writing, that is not story telling. "
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Tatile
01.04.2013 , 06:08 PM | #5009

It might be the "least work" but I wouldn't say it's fair. Currently the game isn't that fair to straight women compared to straight men - straight males of pretty much every class get more [Flirt] options and a couple of classes get two fully fleshed romance options. Straight females seem to get a handful of [Flirt]s, whether in class stories or open world, and only one full romance option in each class (Sith Warriors get a disappointing one-night stand with Lt. Pierce, could only post Quinncident.)

Bring everything in-line with the options given to straight male characters and then we can talk about shoving companions on the cash shop or whatever.

Lillark
01.04.2013 , 06:30 PM | #5010
The key point few are talking about is that SGR's are NOT coming to the game. They are going to be SOLD to players in the expansion, not in the basic, free to play game. If they were for sale in the cartel shop would that be any different? It's separate and unequal treatment.