Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs
01.02.2013 , 11:51 PM | #4871
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Wow, the State of the Game thread is highly interesting.

Popcorn anyone?

You know this is getting good. My popcorn is bacon flavored.

Although a mod needs to come onto there and let them know about the romance toggle rule...

I can't help but wonder what some of the...very strong opponents think of all of this. I'm just glad it's finally out in the open after all these months.
People are freaking out over a few same-gender flirts being added to Makeb? Really?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Node guarder

Druidsfire
01.03.2013 , 12:28 AM | #4872
Well, the last solid info on when we'd see Makeb was a quote from Jeff Hickman at the New Orleans Cantina Tour where he stated that the Ilum revamp would be launching with Makeb, the first public inklings that an expansion was on the horizon, I believe. Previously, Ilum had been mentioned as going to be relaunched around 'February/March'. March is /almost/ 'spring', the current term being bandied about. I imagine that now that most everyone's back from the holidays, we'll probably see a firmed up launch date announced soon or some variant of 'soon' that resembles something like the two dates bandied about.

I'm just gonna reiterate a few things here from my original post back in the day, just to kind of bring some of the details back into the forefront as something to consider, if you'd like, as to why it may have taken forever and a day to get to this point:

1) Election season. It was a big deal, and very heated, as we all remember (and I loathed). There were ads against gays in my area, so it was a very sensitive time to be announcing something that would rile up the naysayers even worse than usual. That's done for the most part, yay!

2) If you can marry an OGR companion, you should be allowed to marry an SGR one. That's also a huge deal in today's social environment and probably one of the more sensitive topics to have to work with. Personally, I think it should be equal, no questions, no hesitations, no 'only some folks get this, and some don't'. I haven't really seen that as being a big factor in commentary here, but it's probably a part of external dialogue due to the vociferous nature of the anti-SGR crowd. I'm gonna grin like a fool as soon as more folks realize this and such a change goes live on-game. I want this to happen because it's the RIGHT thing to do. As in, y'know, EQUAL RIGHTS.

3) The simple logistics of making a fully SGRA-loaded game after the fact. As much as it would have been the sweetest thing to have had SGR content from day -100 until the present, it didn't happen. And none of us would (or should!) be happy with a cack-handed sloppy 'flip a toggle' sort of switching around. I'd be offended on your behalf. Hell, I'd be embarrassed on BioWare's behalf if they had done this. Writing new dialogue that /works/, writing all-new romance paths that feel genuine and sincere and respectful and on a par with the OGR stuff already in-game? No mean feat, that. Then adding having to have it recorded, assuming all the VAs are still on the case and willing (no reason necessarily to think otherwise). Then making up the art assets to make it look good. All the programming to make the wheel work and the code to make it all happen? --- all this on top of having to suddenly turn the entire studio upside down to accommodate F2P when it's obvious to me that everything else got backburnered... I'm honestly surprised they're keeping to the 'with Makeb' promise from back in the day, but not so much surprised that it's going to be a gradual process rather than an retcon of the entire game.

This journey has to start somewhere, and this is a good first step. There's some wobbly, but I look forward to the second step and the third and and and...
-= Writer, MMORPG.com =-
-= Kyr'iana ~ Kyrion ~ Celestial ~ Azurephoenix @ The Shadowlands =-
-= Kyriana ~ Tirion ~ Jerilyn ~ Phoenix @ Begeren Colony =-

QwibQwib
01.03.2013 , 01:25 AM | #4873
My friend actually said he might pick up the game now that they're actually putting SGRs in the game. And he hates PC games. Hear that BioWare? ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT THINGS IS GOOD FOR BUSINESS!

I'm also happy because it means I'll finally have someone to group with! Anyone else on PotF?
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

ganondorq
01.03.2013 , 01:27 AM | #4874
****... so it's finally going to happen? i'm so happy... so much more happy than i should be over a game.

Kioma
01.03.2013 , 01:34 AM | #4875
I know a lot of people are stumbling over one or two parts of the Hickman update, but I'd like to state my piece on it.

The update doesn't hint at all that SGRAs won't be in for companions. Nor does it hint they won't be in for existing companions, nor does it state that people are being 'thrown a bone' or being told to 'make do' with non-companion NPC flirts when OGRAs exist for companion NPCs.

What it does say, and the only thing it says for sure, is that companion SGRAs will not be in the expansion, and that non-companion NPC SGR content (presumably flirts and/or Azalie-style hookups) will be in the expansion.

We can stumble and argue over the minutiae until the proverbial cows come home but in the end that's all we've been told (along with an acknowledgement that we've been waiting, an apology for the same and an admission that the companion SGRA content has, at the very least, been delayed).

The bottom line is that we need more information. Everything read into the update or assumed from the usage of 'will' instead of 'would have' and similar is speculation. Just speculation. Maybe it's accurate; maybe it's not. But it is still just speculation.

If you're determined to be disappointed I say: go for it. If the worst the dev teams get from the nine months of silence we've endured is a bit of snark and a general 'I'll see it when I believe it' attitude they're getting off light, and I believe they know that.

If (like me) you've decided to take the Hickman update in a positive light then let yourself be positive! Don't be forced into a negative mind-space because others are too hurt over the silent treatment to really take BW:A at its word just yet (which, in my mind, is perhaps fair enough).

Everyone is going to react to this a little differently and that's fair enough. Even people determined to throw unreasoning fear and hate at SGRAs. Let them hate. Let them demand this content not go in; the fact is their attitude is irrelevant. It's going in. The only questions are how and when, and both of those questions are partially answered already.

Don't fight. Flag the hate and move on. As Terry Pratchett once wrote, 'Nil Illegitimus Carborundum'.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tajiloh
01.03.2013 , 01:36 AM | #4876
Long time lurker here...

Let me just say how great it is to FINALLY have a response. I've been waiting in limbo for the longest time trying to decide if I should level my would-be main character (who would be gay) or work on another character until SGRA's are introduced. Now I can at least play and enjoy the game knowing for certain that they won't be coming for a while. At least not in the form that I desire.

That said, I'm still a little ticked off that they decided to wait until the year was over to inform us about this. Would it have really been so hard to say last year, "Hey, remember how we said SGRA's were coming this year? Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we're going to finish this content before that deadline." Overall, while I am happy that we do have an answer, this has to be an example of how NOT to communicate with your community. I sincerely hope that Bioware will learn from this and not make the same mistakes again. And not just with same-gendered romance but with any issue. Communication is key!

stormdrakelord
01.03.2013 , 01:47 AM | #4877
As long as I can do some SGR-related stuff with my Imperial Agent and my Trooper, i do not care if it is mere hook-ups or flirts or true romances.

I will finally play those classes knowing this.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

LadyDrusilla
01.03.2013 , 02:33 AM | #4878
I want SGRs as much as the next Star Wars obsessed lesbian (or is that lesbian obsessed star wars fan? hm), and I'm quite happy with this announcement. SGR NPC relationships is a good start.

I can't believe people are saying they would quit because of the lack of SGRs though, get a sense of perspective. Really, it makes life and SWTOR so much more enjoyable.
This blonde loves her Hutts, the bigger, the better.

Lent_San
01.03.2013 , 02:37 AM | #4879
Watch, it'll be Valentine's Day, if Makeb isn't the next patch. Wouldn't that be kinda nice?
It would certainly be quite fitting. We need some love here, finally.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kodyack View Post
They spoke words? With actual syllables? That didn't combine to form the phrase "No more information at this time."?
Brb I'm gonna wake up now.
Lol, yeah, I guess many of us are still in a kind of "...Huh?" state...

Wow, the State of the Game thread is highly interesting.
Popcorn anyone?
You know this is getting good. My popcorn is bacon flavored.
No bacon for me please (< vegetarian), but there's nothing that goes better with your morning coffee than a really stupid fight in General about real life topics that aren't supposed to be discusssed, and fake outrage by people who didn't get what they wanted this time (as opposed to all the other times....).

Quote: Originally Posted by Syvach View Post
This is the first, and only, official statement posted to the official website saying that "yes, SGR will be in the game." That is a HUGE step forward and opens a door that was previously, locked, barred and sealed. No, this announcement is NOT everything I would have wanted, but it is still a hugely favorable development and one we should be glad to see.
I really am glad and agree with someone posting here that this is a door that now can never be closed again. Haters can hate all they want, but they can't make this go away now. They better get used to it while they still can. Not that I care, but you know...

Rashenn
01.03.2013 , 02:53 AM | #4880
De-lurks again!

I have to admit my initial response was crushing dissapointment to be honest.
However I've caught up on the thread, taken an hour to think it over I refilled my glass to half full status again.

It's a start, gay in game is good and as someone else said once you open that door it can't be closed again.
I am happy that we finally got some kind of answer, heaven knows we worked hard enough for it.

It has clarified one thing for me at least. I'm not going to hold off on my JK, Trooper and Smuggler anymore. If they do retrofit sgr's into current companions I'm thinking it may take a while and frankly, I'm happy to reroll for my favourite romances. So..they can have my money for Makeb and I'll stay happy and positive.
I'm tired of just hanging around now I want to just get on and play even if it's still not quite how I'd like to.

We have hope at least after the long silence. Happy News Year folks