Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs
12.31.2012 , 06:00 PM | #4701
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
You know what I really wonder, though? Not even the NPCs can be gay. Nowhere in all the galaxy have I ever seen an indication from background NPCs that they might prefer a lap dance from someone who isn't a woman - or that they be wanting to be chatted up by the lady in the Mandalorian armour, rather than the sleazy wanna-be smuggler who just dragged himself out of the latrine. That takes an outstanding amount of effort and forethought, I say.

If nothing else, when Bioware said "gays don't exist in Star Wars" they meant it.
There is a human female and twi'lek female dancing together on Tatooine.

Not sure if that counts.

Most NPCs seem neutral as far as sexuality goes....can't tell either way.
Node guarder

Tatile
12.31.2012 , 06:02 PM | #4702
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
There is a human female and twi'lek female dancing together on Tatooine.

Not sure if that counts.

Most NPCs seem neutral as far as sexuality goes....can't tell either way.
I was just trying to be vaguely on-topic P:

Are they both dancing girls? Because I'm not sure if being paid to pretend you're lesbians really counts...

Likomg
12.31.2012 , 06:19 PM | #4703
You know what I really wonder, though? Not even the NPCs can be gay. Nowhere in all the galaxy have I ever seen an indication from background NPCs that they might prefer a lap dance from someone who isn't a woman - or that they be wanting to be chatted up by the lady in the Mandalorian armour, rather than the sleazy wanna-be smuggler who just dragged himself out of the latrine. That takes an outstanding amount of effort and forethought, I say.
To be entirely honest, that takes no effort or forethought at all. If you don't identify with homosexuality, it is easy to not include it when crafting a story -- just as if you are homosexual, the lack of it in story seems glaring.

fabiyun
12.31.2012 , 06:45 PM | #4704
And that was such a grand dream, back in the summer, to increase communication to the community. A grand dream that lasted all of two weeks, before the crushing weight of apathy grasped a hold of reality and they drowned together.

As the Community Team are going to back to work on the 7th at the earliest, what does everyone expect them to be commenting on? I suspect they are going to pop into the numerous Hutt Cartel threads and tell people that "magical" things are coming, hold the hands of the people wanting hood toggles, continue to ignore those on the APAC servers and give us a patronising "Happy New Year" message.

If nothing else, when Bioware said "gays don't exist in Star Wars" they meant it.
I was going to write quite frank, but since that will have a david copperfield within no time, I'm swallowing my tongue and pride.
But Tatile, I agree with you. The "no gays in star wars" line was so hurtful, especially because it was very clearly meant and he was chuckling too. Since, they've done some good marketing speak, but not actually done anything whatsoever. I don't believe that SGRs have been worked on at all. Nothing in the story that I've seen so far points me to believe that (SI on Alderaan atm, though haven't played in a couple of weeks now). Perhaps they did think that some characters would not be OGR interested, but the story is pretty damn biased towards males interested in OGR. It's quite bothersome that my male SI gets flirts with at least one female quest giver on every planet (the SI was romance light I read on several wikis). Why put it in my face all the time, why BW:A. Why?!

I don't expect the community team to say anything useful here, if they'll say anything at all it's most likely the c/p response we get in PMs. "We have no new information at this time."

My sub runs out this week. I'll see if as a prefered player I can post every now and then. Otherwise you won't hear from me. Do feel free to PM me now if you like to stay in touch elsewhere. I'm taking the fight away from BW:A and to the entire industry. I could use some help from local advocacy groups all over Europe, to cosign. It'll take a couple of months to write a good initiative, but it'll be worth it.

As far as RotHC goes. If it had SGR in it, we would have heard by now. There's no indication that it will be. They've been releasing bits of info on the forums, there could be another drop of a WZ or FP, but even the bloggers admit that's wishful thinking on their part and could also very well not happen. As far as story goes, we have the details of it already. Faction story, big sized planet, datacrons, there'll come some world boss (if they didn't speak of that one yet, that will be the surprise), heroics, dailies. It's not a light content patch, but imo it's still a content patch, and not an expansion. Either way, if it had new companions or more romance options (ie SGR and maybe some more female OGR) then we'd likely have heard. That is after all a major reason to pre-order this expansion.

To clean up some of what I wrote earlier. It's really put a damper on my experience of Star Wars period. Up to about a month ago I'd purchased every new EU SW literature that came out ever since EP2, the movie that really got me into reading SW books since I'd bought the novelisation when it came out. I don't even want to read Star Wars anymore at this point in time. Everything about it reminds me of what the franchise denies me; equal treatment, dignity and respect. The fact that the literature and movies weren't very inclusive was something I could deal with, up until I experienced this game and the way BW, EA, LucasArts and now Disney are treating the LGBTQ community. It's completely unacceptable, and I'm at present unable to seperate the reality of our struggle here and the SW franchise in general. Karen Traviss (the author who added the gay Mandelorians) is also no longer writing for SW, none of the other authors have picked up on it since she left a couple of years ago either, so this will most likely be the only reference to LGBTQ people in the Star Wars IP. And with Disney making EPVII to EPIX for sure now, this part of EU literature is likely to be pushed out of the canon, as rumours persist on the movies taking a different turn than EU literature. We are at present most likely being erased from the SW Galaxy. Disney has never been inclusive in any of its productions, be it movies, games or television. ABC has done the odd character (like the murderer in Desperate Housewives) that really did more harm than any good. Yes, as a division Disney Parks treats their LGBTQ employees with respect, but honestly, if they didn't they wouldn't have had anybody working for them. That's the cold reality folks. That doesn't make me biased to any of these companies, I'm even a shareholder of the Paris themepark. But I don't consume Disney entertainment because it excludes me actively. And I no longer enjoy Star Wars since SWTOR. I'll continue to support BW Edmonton for now, I like the DA franchise a lot. I also have the literature of DA, which is also inclusive. Yes folks, SGR in DA books as well (written by none other than saint David Gaider). But as far as SW and SWTOR go, this is the end of the line for me.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Tatile
12.31.2012 , 06:55 PM | #4705
Thank you for that Fabiyun *hugs* I know it doesn't mean much, but I'm sorry for what Bioware has put you through.

If you need any help for your campaign, drop me a PM or something. I have an as of yet largely unused tumblr account for contacts and writings

Also, I would totally jump at the chance to write for video games or something even if I would probably be crap at it, but I promise I'd never be as exclusive or as terrible as the majority of the current writers in the industry.

Melycinya
12.31.2012 , 09:02 PM | #4706
I haven't (and probably won't) pre-order Makeb, since I just started an Agent who probably won't get to fifty until after it comes out, and I figure I'll just play her until I see what all the planet has to offer. I'll probably get it eventually, since I like soloing but want to see the endgame flashpoint stories and--

Wait that wasn't on-topic at all, let's try that again.

I've got one foot in the same boat as many of the posters here. I have several characters I've made (over the course of many years, and rather painstakingly, because I have a lot of trouble coming up with new characters), and I am rapidly running out of ones who fit into classes I want to play and are straight. Heck, the Agent I just started is a character I made specifically so I could play the class before SGRs get added! Once she's done, if cathar isn't out so I can see whether my asexual agent would be one, I won't have any characters left to play. If SGRs aren't out with Makeb, that might give me another small chunk of playtime with the few characters I have so far (assuming they also give us more character slots by then), but if it's not out by then...

Gosh, there is a whole awful lot determining how much I'll be playing the coming months, and nearly all of it comes back to whether we have SGRs. I don't think I realized just how much the lack of it will stop me after I'm done with my Agent until writing this just now. I mean, I have a few pansexual characters, but without knowing which companions will be available for SGRs, I can't play them, either...what if they give me an SGR that character would prefer over their OGR? What if they add flirting with questgivers, too? If I play a character that would flirt with anything that has something resembling two legs (and anything that doesn't), I run a high risk of missing out on potentially rather amusing flirts. I play this game like a single-player RPG--I don't PvP, I almost never touch space missions, I don't raid, I tried doing dailies to save up some credits but quickly lost interest--without as much variation as absolutely possible in class and planet stories, playing alts (as I so dearly enjoy) grows rapidly stale. SGRs will allow me both variation in some story elements, and allow for more alts to be played (and more character slots to be bought, I will shell out a ridiculous amount for character slots above almost anything else).
I love turning heads.
My favorite part is the kr-KRAK just before they throw themselves at my feet.

stuffystuffs
12.31.2012 , 09:12 PM | #4707
I was just trying to be vaguely on-topic P:

Are they both dancing girls? Because I'm not sure if being paid to pretend you're lesbians really counts...
No, the human is wearing normal Tattooine clothes ( I guess that's what I'd call them XD).
Node guarder

natashina
12.31.2012 , 10:26 PM | #4708
Happy New Year guys!

There is one other spot of hope I still have. I don't know if it'll help you guys though. There isn't much I can say or do.

However, I remember a key point: GLAAD.

Remember, GLAAD said that they were going to pursue the matter early next year. I doubt they'll just let it drop, and they aren't the type to give random lip service. So I'll be writing them back on the 8th if we don't hear anything.

I still think they are going to talk about SGRs on the 7th. Now that the pre-order is going to be done on the 7th for...<sigh> the majority, then I would expect them to go, "Surprise! SGRs!" That's just sneaky enough to where I could see them doing it in a heartbeat. Get the majority to pre-order Makeb, which includes the haters and trolls. Then wait for Joveth Gonzales to come back on the 7th. Once that is done, then I think that they will have the audacity to reveal SGRs. That's my thoughts on it anyways.

You guys be safe. Try not to drink too much; I'm going to have two glasses of Bailey's. Anymore and it's going to be ugly.

PS: I have been getting your PMs Fab. You just have this odd timing to where I don't get them unless I first wake up or so tired I'm crosseyed and have to lay down.

**hugs**

natashina
12.31.2012 , 11:27 PM | #4709
Can't tell if trolling...but a funny idea nonetheless. Although they didn't allow full nudity in Dragon Age, and that was a M rated game.

If wanted something more adult, I could do faaaaaaaar better than ToR.

Hey, Happy New Year to you! Thanks for the support.

Edit: I thought about the cupcake idea and I was thinking just, "SGRs for ToR!" Short and quick. We'd have to make sure we sent it to BW:Austin HQ. Maybe the cake could be the layered rainbow colors I've seen. Barring that, just some pink and blue icing.

Is it bad that I'm starting to think that this isn't a horrible idea?

Kioma
12.31.2012 , 11:59 PM | #4710
Heya, folks. Welcome to 2013.

I've been thinking and I've decided to encourage people to start this year off with simple positive action. I've just visited the Support Form to drop off a note regarding this matter and I heartily suggest everyone else do the same.

I suggest a nice, polite but precise note to make it clear what you want from this. Let's not start 2013 off angry.

Here's the message I sent. Feel free to adjust it as you see fit.

-----
Hello, and Happy New Year!

I'm writing on the matter of the continued silence regarding Same Gender Relationship Arcs (SGRAs) and Same Gender [Flirt] Prompts (SGFPs) for non-companion NPCs. As you're no doubt aware this has been a matter of considerable concern for many aspects of the player base including the LGBTI community, it's allies and its detractors.

Every one of those players is eagerly awaiting an update (for good or ill) regarding this matter. The final official statement we've had on this matter was the Guild Summit back in March 2012, at which point we were informed the feature would be coming 'this year'. As that was LAST year I feel it fair to ask for an update, and will be respectfully asking other people who support this feature to do the same.

For the record I am in favour of SGRAs and have been waiting (and subscribing) since launch for this feature.

Many events have happened within Bioware: Austin, including staffing changes and the launch of Free to Play, which may have caused a delay in the development of SGRAs and SGFPs. As a community, however, we have heard nothing official either way (I am not including the comments made by your PvP lead as this is not his area, rendering his musings on the matter pure deniable speculation). The Community Team has told us there is 'no news' on the matter but as you can no doubt understand we have no idea if that means the feature is still on schedule (unlikely at best, considering it is now 2013), has been delayed or has been cancelled completely.

While we understand the development team doesn't wish to release spoilers we are primarily after information regarding the status of this feature - information which has, until now, been impossible to get.

Please, start 2013 off right with an update on this feature. We have been waiting a long time for it.

Yours,
Kioma
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::