Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

amnie
12.29.2012 , 04:43 AM | #4601
Quote: Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
First of all, I've missed that option. I was so pleasantly delighted in KOTOR when I found out Juhani was a romance option (albeit, one that scared LucasArts so much that they gutted her dialogue). Sky and Silk Fox were also wonderful surprises.

Same gender here? I would suppose it depends greatly on what story you have. Right now, I have a female Consular. All your companions, save Nadia, are gents. And you don't get Nadia until you're in the middle of Act 3. Furthermore, I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet playing female because the dear girl's so sweet and naive that I'd feel like I'm taking advantage if I played a romance with her - not to mention the questionable aspect of dating your student. The only time when dating the Padawan didn't come off as creepy was F!Exile/Atton (and Atton was creepy for many more reasons).

As for same-sex romances on a male Consular? There's something about Iresso. I'm not sure I'd slash him with a male Consular. I'd actually mod Zenith or Tharan. Now, Tharan is because the guy is crazy enough to try anything twice for the sake of science, and it could lead to some comedic gold out of Holiday. Sure, she gets jealous if her Tharan is getting emotionally involved with another woman, but if it's a guy, she might just request to watch. The issue with Tharan is that he's pretty darned camp, which could play into some unfortunate implications.

That leads to Zenith. He's certainly driven, focused, would definitely more along the manly or "straight acting" gay. The romance arc with him would either be an LS Male Consular getting him to loosen up and be a bit less of a jerk - "Once this is over, I will join you on Balmorra, and we'll remake it as a paragon for other worlds to follow" or a DS Male Consular essentially saying "Once we're through, we ditch the goofballs and take the fight to the Imperials - you and me, starting with Balmorra."

All things considered, who in your party would make a good same-gender romance, and how could it play out differently from the heterosexual one?
Iresso actually really grew on me on my shadow (female) who is 100% LS and pretty much asexual (or at least she won't make her deeper feelings shown at all) but he still 'tempted' me, the player behind the character. lol
I'd love to see how he would 'unfold' with a male consular, but can't really say anything since I haven't actually played the romance arc. not that I think it would make a difference, though, because I plan on only eventually playing a Sage when they give us Togruta (DAMN YOU BIOWARE. TWI'LEK BUT NO TOGRUTA? GRRRRRR!) she will be female too, and a bit more 'wonky in the head', and she's gonna romance Iresso because she will have the constant urge to slap Theran. lol

apart from that, I don't know...
for most classes I really don't care much, but my gunslinger has a huuuuge crush on Corso and I can definitely see that one working out perfectly. my scoundrel is female and I've played through that romance arc, and I loved it buuuut Corso was a bit too 'cute' with his 'I need to protect my lady' stuff, which my scoundrel was really not all that into (she thought it was 'adorable' at first, but eventually told him to quit it :P) .... with a male/male romance arc I could see him a bit less of a 'I need to protect you' guy and actually 'lighten up'. more of a 'bromance' that develops further, if that makes sense.

and my dream come true would be if LS Jeasa was actually available for a same gender romance arc... sigh.

Kioma
12.29.2012 , 05:08 AM | #4602
Quote: Originally Posted by Dandune View Post
Didn't read through whole thread so in case this migth have been mentioned before, sorry.

The trick is, same gender romance is sort of already in the game. You can marry same gender characters in your legacy tree, worked for my female sorc and female sniper.
Technicalities aside, this thread is specifically about same gender relationship arcs (as in story arcs) with companion NPCs. Legacy trees are all well and good but really they're a completely different issue.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

JediMB
12.29.2012 , 07:51 AM | #4603
It's been two months since I resubscribed to the game again, and in this time I haven't made any progression on my straight male Smuggler's story. Not knowing how the SGRA situation will look like for female Smugglers is very discouraging. So most of the time in the game has gone into endgame content and crafting for my straight female Bounty Hunter.

I'm thinking I'll play a Dark Side no-romance female Inquisitor/Sorcerer, though. I'll save the romance for my Light Side Assassin. I'd just like to play the character with someone else, so I'm hoping I can convince my brother to play the game again.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

SithKoriandr
12.29.2012 , 11:53 AM | #4604
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
It's been two months since I resubscribed to the game again, and in this time I haven't made any progression on my straight male Smuggler's story. Not knowing how the SGRA situation will look like for female Smugglers is very discouraging. So most of the time in the game has gone into endgame content and crafting for my straight female Bounty Hunter.

I'm thinking I'll play a Dark Side no-romance female Inquisitor/Sorcerer, though. I'll save the romance for my Light Side Assassin. I'd just like to play the character with someone else, so I'm hoping I can convince my brother to play the game again.
What's keeping you from leveling your OGR Smuggler? Or is it you think you may want to reroll your smuggler to a female for a SGR? If that's the case, reroll, level up, just don't put progression into the companions affection.

Companion story arcs are based on affection and won't even progress into certain chapters. My SI for instance had max affection with Andy before chapter 1 was over (trying to max out Treasure Hunting, I just kept sending my other companions out for gifts) and the storyline with Andy still didn't end untill Chapter 3 had started.

If you're not leveling a character because you don't want to miss out on the chance for a SGR with a companion, just don't level their affection.

Tatile
12.29.2012 , 12:08 PM | #4605
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
If you're not leveling a character because you don't want to miss out on the chance for a SGR with a companion, just don't level their affection.
I was under the impression that one had to start [Flirt]ing with the companion in question immediately, to be able to enter into a romance with them.

DarthRamette
12.29.2012 , 12:22 PM | #4606
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I was under the impression that one had to start [Flirt]ing with the companion in question immediately, to be able to enter into a romance with them.
It may start but no new convos will happen unless you get the affection up and the convos you have are related to what part of your story you are as well. I didn't do all of Broonmarks convos till after I hit 50 and just bought an absurd amount of Trophy gifts for the hairball.

chuixupu
12.29.2012 , 12:42 PM | #4607
I've held off on advancing companion affection for various reasons, such as just indecision about a particular choice, and just let their quest icon sit over their head till 50. You have nothing to lose by doing that, you'll just get a whole bunch of quests popping up in succession. Maybe that would break immersion for some people, though.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SithKoriandr
12.29.2012 , 12:50 PM | #4608
Well, you may have to make the right choices in the convo, but if the convo's don't start, you're safe. So there's no reason to stop leveling when you can put off building affection and use a companion you don't care to get in a relationship with (or can't get in one with).

Getting 1 - 50 without giving gifts and focusing on just one companion, you're not likely to hit max affection either, or even get to the level of affection needed for all conversations, unless you run non-stop Black Talon/Esseles to try to max it out.

Tatile
12.29.2012 , 01:11 PM | #4609
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Well, you may have to make the right choices in the convo, but if the convo's don't start, you're safe. So there's no reason to stop leveling when you can put off building affection and use a companion you don't care to get in a relationship with (or can't get in one with).
I'm talking about when you acquire the companion in question, not when you start speaking to them aboard the ship (I realise that Vette may be an exception - you don't have the option to romance her until after the shock collar is removed.)

SithKoriandr
12.29.2012 , 01:18 PM | #4610
I'm talking about when you acquire the companion in question, not when you start speaking to them aboard the ship (I realise that Vette may be an exception - you don't have the option to romance her until after the shock collar is removed.)
Nope. I didn't even get an option to flirt with one companion untill after they became a member of my crew and I had their affection up, buuut, my character was already with someone else, so I didn't.

Not to mention people have married multiple companions on their character, so it's not like the game keeps track of "oh hey, you married this one, so this storyline isn't possible" and it doesn't even give you a break up scene with the first one.