Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Revanchis
12.17.2012 , 12:40 PM | #4111
You guys should check out David Gaider's latest Tumblr post. He talks about how the inclusion or omission of certain social issues can be a statement. It's near the end.

I think it might be relevant.

gazacam
12.17.2012 , 12:41 PM | #4112
I believe that it would be less strain on EA and Bioware if they made all of the ones we are able to romace Bisexual that means all they have to is make the flirting responses for both genders this will take alot less time then making all new compainions

Tatile
12.17.2012 , 01:13 PM | #4113
Quote: Originally Posted by Revanchis View Post
You guys should check out David Gaider's latest Tumblr post. He talks about how the inclusion or omission of certain social issues can be a statement. It's near the end.

Thank you for that Revanchis, a nice little read

His last paragraph does cover the point fairly neatly. I've personally never liked the idea that any form of entertainment can be "just" something - media like sitcoms, comic books and films reflect and deal with our social conventions and the problems that people face, whether in everyday life or in extraordinary moments. They help us to overcome the mundane and rationalize the absurd. It's media's ability to normalize and level that's so dangerous, then - all white casts are dangerous for people of colour; all cis and straight casts are likewise dangerous to the LGBT community, not because it might incite a person to violence against them, but that it erases them and their issues. A storyline the deals with an LGBT youth, or the struggles of a person of colour, not only can help those demographics in accepting themselves (if done properly) but can also help the cis, the straight and the white in accepting those who are different from them.

QwibQwib
12.17.2012 , 01:16 PM | #4114
Edit: Posted in the wrong thread. Whoops.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

Rayla_Felana
12.17.2012 , 01:17 PM | #4115

Why couldn't he have been lead director on SWTOR? *sigh*

Tatile
12.17.2012 , 01:21 PM | #4116
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Why couldn't he have been lead director on SWTOR? *sigh*
Last line of that post did hurt a little bit.

I hope so too, Mr. Gaider, I hope so too.

QwibQwib
12.17.2012 , 01:25 PM | #4117
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post

Yeah. It also bothers me that people on the Swtor team can't even mention SGRs in tweets, yet things like that can be said freely about other games. How recent was the tumblr post?

Tatile
12.17.2012 , 01:36 PM | #4118
Quote: Originally Posted by QwibQwib View Post
Yeah. It also bothers me that people on the Swtor team can't even mention SGRs in tweets, yet things like that can be said freely about other games. How recent was the tumblr post?
That's today's post.

I've already mused on Mr. Hood's hands being tied by censorship and something else in this thread (and then added to be Mr. Gaider's blog post) makes me wonder who's behind this. As at this point, this doesn't seem to be a marketing c*ck up...

And a certain someone was laughing at the playerbase during a recent LiveStream...

Lent_San
12.17.2012 , 02:56 PM | #4119
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Um Lent, look right above you...
Well done, nat. You know, at home usually I post from my iPad and since its internet connection has drop outs, refreshing the page can be dangerous.

Sometimes I DO miss posts and have to read up at work later on. *cough*

Thanks for the awesome job you're doing. Great to be following your adventures in all things SWTORSGRAs.

Despite it being relevant for us here, it's also a touching, touching read.

It should be a mandatory read for any new writer or producer Bioware employs in the future. This is what has made them great, their inclusion of socially relevant themes and incorporating them seemlessly, naturally.

Trying to emulate other MMOs out there that don't have any of that and are made for simple consumption will just make them ordinary.

I certainly hope they're not interested in going down that path.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
True. So very true.

QwibQwib
12.17.2012 , 10:53 PM | #4120
Stumbled upon this again, and thought I'd post it. We could all use a few laughs: SWTOR is Same-Sextastic