Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San
12.08.2012 , 08:33 PM | #3871
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
Honestly, I would rather we get new S/S romances for both men and women. Mainly to have new characters to talk to.
Anyone with me?
Lurking, waiting fo sleep to come, so far unsuccesful. -.-

There should be both! Old companions we liked but that were unavailable before and new ones to discover. To go either/or would be the wrong way here.

stuffystuffs
12.08.2012 , 08:34 PM | #3872
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
There should be both! Old companions we liked but that were unavailable before and new ones to discover. To go either/or would be the wrong way here.
That's probably the only way every class/gender combo will have an option.
Node guarder

AshenOne
12.08.2012 , 08:40 PM | #3873
Honestly, I would rather we get new S/S romances for both men and women. Mainly to have new characters to talk to.

Anyone with me?
Not to sound greed or anything, but I would love to have both.

amnie
12.08.2012 , 08:47 PM | #3874
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Lurking, waiting fo sleep to come, so far unsuccesful. -.-

plus it seems kinda stupid that new players (or if rolling an alt, which is kinda what this game is all about) would have to wait at least until lvl 50 before they could actually romance someone of the same sex if that is what they wish to do.. especially as by that time you will long since have the option to romance one of the other companions..

plus my gunslinger would be really disappointed. he's developed a huuuge crush on corso - plus corso will be lonely when my scoundrel breaks up with him :/

stormdrakelord
12.08.2012 , 08:56 PM | #3875
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
plus it seems kinda stupid that new players (or if rolling an alt, which is kinda what this game is all about) would have to wait at least until lvl 50 before they could actually romance someone of the same sex if that is what they wish to do.. especially as by that time you will long since have the option to romance one of the other companions..

plus my gunslinger would be really disappointed. he's developed a huuuge crush on corso - plus corso will be lonely when my scoundrel breaks up with him :/
In my mind, the romancable companions today were originally written heterosexual, and rewriting them as "Bisexual" makes no sense, unless they explain it away as the trope "If it's you, it's okay" which makes it worse for me.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

amnie
12.08.2012 , 09:11 PM | #3876
In my mind, the romancable companions today were originally written heterosexual, and rewriting them as "Bisexual" makes no sense, unless they explain it away as the trope "If it's you, it's okay" which makes it worse for me.
they never said that. there is only a statement that they made is that they already know which companions will be available for that and that there will be 'aditiional companion options' when there will eventually be more content.

everything else is interpretation. so both claims - that it will be new companions .and. that it will be old companions - is speculation/wishful thinking.

also, nobody is saying they want the exact same lines for the companions. my gunslinger sure as hell ALREADY gets treated differently by corso than my scoundrel was at this point in the story (nar shaddaa - long before corso atually starts 'hinting' romantic feelings for a female smuggler)

edit: ok I just realised I should clarify this more

what I mean is basically they said that they have characters in mind to have this, and they also said that it 'just didn't make the cut', which might as well be interpreted as 'we wanted all these characters from the start but only had enough time to do one romance arc' (why for whatever reason that HAD to be the heterosexual one is a whole other can of worms)

we all know this by now that this is content that was 'always planned' and 'just didn't make it in time'.

only making it available for higher lvl is like introducing a new class only for lvl 50+ or only letting people get new sparkle powder colours when they are lvl 50... it's silly. it might be a little 'wrong' for the 'feel' of characters that are already 50 because you potentially missed out on romance options (which is why higher lvl chars should have the option to 'undo' these conversations)

all of this should be easily doable, same as you can easy completely change your skill trees. (or rather how they used to refund skill poins when there were major changes done to classes)

wainot-keel
12.08.2012 , 09:24 PM | #3877
Well, I don't see why there should be any kind of explanation.

Suddenly, Vette seems to be into guys. Just like that, out of the blue. It's not explained. And it's not required. Her romance with my Sith worked really well.
I see no reason whatsoever why there should be an explanation for her liking women in a different playthrough

stormdrakelord
12.08.2012 , 09:33 PM | #3878
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
they never said that. there is only a statement that they made is that they already know which companions will be available for that and that there will be 'aditiional companion options' when there will eventually be more content.

everything else is interpretation. so both claims - that it will be new companions .and. that it will be old companions - is speculation/wishful thinking.

also, nobody is saying they want the exact same lines for the companions. my gunslinger sure as hell ALREADY gets treated differently by corso than my scoundrel was at this point in the story (nar shaddaa - long before corso atually starts 'hinting' romantic feelings for a female smuggler)

edit: ok I just realised I should clarify this more

what I mean is basically they said that they have characters in mind to have this, and they also said that it 'just didn't make the cut', which might as well be interpreted as 'we wanted all these characters from the start but only had enough time to do one romance arc' (why for whatever reason that HAD to be the heterosexual one is a whole other can of worms)

we all know this by now that this is content that was 'always planned' and 'just didn't make it in time'.

only making it available for higher lvl is like introducing a new class only for lvl 50+ or only letting people get new sparkle powder colours when they are lvl 50... it's silly. it might be a little 'wrong' for the 'feel' of characters that are already 50 because you potentially missed out on romance options (which is why higher lvl chars should have the option to 'undo' these conversations)

all of this should be easily doable, same as you can easy completely change your skill trees. (or rather how they used to refund skill poins when there were major changes done to classes)
What if there were bi companions planned already that were cut, not current companions that are bi, and the arcs got cut.

Kira Carsen: I don't know about you, but she seems clearly straight to me

Kaliyo: Doesn't she talk about ex boyfriends

Elara: Just my opinion, but she should not be a romance at all.

Just to name a few. Adding a non-companion full romance would be nice.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

amnie
12.08.2012 , 09:43 PM | #3879
What if there were bi companions planned already that were cut, not current companions that are bi, and the arcs got cut.

Elara: Just my opinion, but she should not be a romance at all.

Just to name a few. Adding a non-companion full romance would be nice.
I don't know about you but none of the companions 'strive' me as .any. sexual orientation. they are vastly different. your 'feelings' are probably based on 'real life experience' or ... well.. stereotypes.

and I'm not gonna spoil any currently in-game stories for you, but let's just say that at least one of the ladies you mentioned IS bisexual.

also, I don't think this is all about 'they are all bi'.
it might also be that some of the companions who are not romancable right now are actually exclusively gay. and all I can say to that is still the same as always... my gunslinger has a crush on corso, and if corso never developes a liking for guys they better add a super awesome way amazing sweep me off my feet male/male romance option for the smuggler or my little baby will have his heart forever broken.

stuffystuffs
12.08.2012 , 10:03 PM | #3880
There's a difference between "written as heterosexual" and "being exclusive to opposite-gender PCs".

She doesn't seem like anything to me considering I play a female. The only way you'd know anything about her sexuality is play a dude and initiate the romance with her...beyond that, nothing about her character is defined as heterosexual. That has more to do with romance exclusivity and the lack of SGRA's though.

Yeah, but she still could like women as well.
Node guarder