Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
12.06.2012 , 07:50 PM | #3781
Quote: Originally Posted by gjpelrine View Post
If it does, then let those promised items patch in first, then see if budget allows new voice acting and so forth to patch it in.
The issue I have with that is that SGRAs have been a promised item a lot longer than Makeb has.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

GaiusGracchus's Avatar


GaiusGracchus
12.06.2012 , 08:24 PM | #3782
Hi all

Thanks for this thread. I've been reading it for a while and has been helpful in making up my mind about what to do about my upcoming subscription renewal date in a few days.

My own scream into the void that I submitted to BioWare with my cancellation notice:

Quote:
I’m cancelling my SWTOR subscription because of the continual denial of same-gender romance options in the game.

I joined a year ago and was surprised that BioWare, a company that had included LGBT issues in the Dragon Age series, was so negligent in incorporating any LGBT content into SWTOR.

I stuck it out for a year, but with no progress other than vague assurances of future content, I have chosen to no longer support the game with my subscription. If character romances are going to be included and encouraged (even required to unlock some companion skills) in SWTOR, I’m tired of seeing LGBT issues excluded from the equation. As this issue drags on, it is becoming more difficult not to believe they were not included for political reasons (or the personal biases of the development team).

My favorite character type to play was the smuggler, but I eventually found playing him insufferable since in every single encounter with a female, my male smuggler was encouraged to ‘romance’ her, reiterating time and time again with the on-screen conversation choices that as a gay gamer this was not really “my world” (or even “my story”). There was no place at the table for me in SWTOR.

If I wish to continue playing other characters, I’ll make do with the free-to-play options, but won’t offer my money to a game that continues to deny a place at the table for LGBT gamers. If same-gender options are eventually included, I may consider re-subscribing in the future.
I've tiered down to FTP. Thanks again for the good discussions and info on this thread. If you see me running through the Republic Fleet station as my (now much poorer) Jedi Knight Janto, give a *wave* emote.

Take care,
GG

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.06.2012 , 08:37 PM | #3783
Quote: Originally Posted by QwibQwib View Post
He sounds more like an involved fan, to me.
First, the only Evan Thomsen-s I found was a high school kid and a professional fitness trainer. Whomever this guy is, he's a passionate fan but alas, does not work for EAware.

Secondly, for those that didn't see, I got gamesindustrybiz.com (games industry International) to respond to this matter last night.


Quote:
Hi Real Name,

I'm looking into this. I have contacted Bioware, and while I can't
promise anything, they swill probably be willing to talk about the issue.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Matthew Handrahan


So that's another route we can take. Make sure you send out the messages and emails to them as well. They are the site that has the now-infamous EA/Zynga article that we edited, so I listened to my gut and wrote them. Glad I did.

Third, I've literally gotten that exact same CSR message about the Guild Summit when I came back to the game in September. After the Livestream, I would take that with the smallest grain of salt. I'm not trying to be negative, but I saw Uluain get the exact same message a few months back.

Finally, Uluain wanted me to say good bye to you all. Last night was utterly insane, and left a lot of us limping into this thread by the end of it.

He'll be watching, but man, he'll be missed. <hats off>

I'm going to be a little scarce over the next few days. My guild is wondering if I'm okay at this point, since I haven't logged in since Sunday.

As always, I'll be lurking, reading and reporting if I need to.

**hugs**

Edit: For those of you about to give up, contact GLAAD via email or facebook. The reason why GLAAD was contacted over this matter is because I found out that they had helped this very community last year. Rewording some of the angry letters to BioWare in order to send to GLAAD would be the way to go. Voting with our wallets didn't work, so maybe some media pressure will do it.

http://www.glaad.org/contact

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.06.2012 , 09:05 PM | #3784
Last quick post before I go.

Do you guys think there is a chance in Hades that BW-Edmonton might care the slightest about ToR and SGRs for it? I thought about writing to David Gaider, but I wanted some feedback first.

I figured it couldn't hurt, but I'm not jumping the email gun this time.

Palar's Avatar


Palar
12.06.2012 , 09:11 PM | #3785
I'm not sure they would have a level of influence to be worth it - different division and approach.

gjpelrine's Avatar


gjpelrine
12.06.2012 , 09:15 PM | #3786
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Last quick post before I go.

Do you guys think there is a chance in Hades that BW-Edmonton might care the slightest about ToR and SGRs for it? I thought about writing to David Gaider, but I wanted some feedback first.

I figured it couldn't hurt, but I'm not jumping the email gun this time.

I believe someone did contact him months ago about the issue but I can't be certain, his response would have been deleted with that long gone incarnation of this thread. I could be wrong, perhaps if you are still in contact with Uluian you can ask him.

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
12.06.2012 , 09:27 PM | #3787
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
I guess it's just Austin that befuddle me
It is definitely just the Austin group. Something, or more likely someone in the Austin group has an issue with this content and this discussion. They haven't left me any options at this point but to take my money elsewhere.

Oh well, I have faith in the Edmonton group though that they will have many great games in the future that will come with SGRA's and continue the Edmonton group's history of inclusive games. If Austin wants to remain discriminatory and maintain the exclusiveness of SW:TOR more power to them. It has reached a point of not being worth the effort for me anymore.

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
12.06.2012 , 09:35 PM | #3788
If you really think that by going F2P didn't alter anything timeline wise or content wise then so be it, I disagree and so do others. Less money coming in means less new and neat things which is one of the reasons I am thinking of cancelling my sub as it gets boring once you hit 50 and do all the FP ad Ops.

Can you show me one quote in which the word promised is used. Saying they had intended it to be in but now it isnt due to x factor isn't promised, things change. Unless the word promised was used then they can change their minds and not put in SGR or put it in when they feel fit to.

gjpelrine's Avatar


gjpelrine
12.06.2012 , 09:44 PM | #3789
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
If you really think that by going F2P didn't alter anything timeline wise or content wise then so be it, I disagree and so do others. Less money coming in means less new and neat things which is one of the reasons I am thinking of cancelling my sub as it gets boring once you hit 50 and do all the FP ad Ops.

Can you show me one quote in which the word promised is used. Saying they had intended it to be in but now it isnt due to x factor isn't promised, things change. Unless the word promised was used then they can change their minds and not put in SGR or put it in when they feel fit to.
I have no doubt F2P has changed things for SWTOR, I have not said otherwise, but saying specifically what has changed when no information has been give is a little arrogant don't you think, like I said its your opinion, as valid as it may be, until official word has been given by a representative of BW/EA the community waiting for SGRA's has no choice but to ask questions.

For that matter its a terrible way to do business to expect everyone waiting on any specific content to come to the same conclusion about that content if things change, as you say, without giving any information! Its like you assume everyone must now know that SGRA's must have been put on the back burner or cancelled because of F2P!

As for showing you the quote of "promised" I don't have the link but it is in natashina signature links where you will find the "this year" quote. I'm not going to bother looking for it because I know its been linked in the past few day and you have seen it. Also if things "have changed because of x factor blah blah blah" that would imply that BW/EA has information they can share that they haven't given people, care to explain that? Don't bother, I'll explain it.

If in fact SGRA's have been pushed back/cancelled because of F2P, the logical conclusion you are so adamant in dolling out, that means that this information is known to the development team but has not been shared with the community asking for SGRA's. A community so bereft of information they have sought outside help in seeking information about this issue. So if this information is known by the development team why not share it? Easy, they stand to loose money from telling the community plans have changed. They feel silence on the issue is better then loosing subscription fees. However this will create a much larger problem, because of the long standing silence on this issue, if they decide to go public with the information that SGRA's are pushed back/cancelled and had come to this decision and NOT shared it with the community it makes it look like EA/BW wanted to milk their customers while they still had a chance. If that happens people in the community won't need to contact GLAAD because the resulting **** storm created by this backlash will become public knowledge. It would be a PR nightmare for BW/EA. To think that simply keeping people informed about your plans for the game could prevent this seems silly.

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
12.06.2012 , 10:15 PM | #3790
When this game tanks and unless they fix things pretty fast it will, I hope you get your 10 mins total of dialogue and one fade to black screen so you can say yes we got it, it was so worth it. Go ahead and slap BW who has been gay friendly in pretty much all of thier games when others have not, but hey you want what you want and that is all that matters. If SGR come and I am still around I won't be. Have fun with your crusade and if you feel the need to report my posts go ahead, wouldn't be the first time.