Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Uluain
11.20.2012 , 10:18 AM | #3161
Quote: Originally Posted by Wallner View Post
I'm for same gender relationships, IF the companion is written homosexual /bisexual and so on. I don't like idea that the developers make the characters sexuality up to the player. Ofcourse you should be able to flirt, but the player should have to be denied in some situations.

Spoiler
Is that otherwise generally true of existing opposite-gender romantic content (honest question - I have not explored it)? If not, then should same-gender content be handled differently in that regard?

Wallner
11.20.2012 , 11:20 AM | #3162
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Is that otherwise generally true of existing opposite-gender romantic content (honest question - I have not explored it)? If not, then should same-gender content be handled differently in that regard?
You mean if, in the current game, you can be denied by the oposite sex? I'm not sure, the two classes I've played gave me at least one to romance. But I'm not sure I like it the way it is either, the perfect thing would be if you could attempt to romance everyone, and the outcome would depend on the target character, and how charismatic your player character is. But that's not how it works here, you're given very few choices in conversations all together.
Want to get awesome free stuff in-game? Use my referral link!:
---->http://www.swtor.com/r/63S7yc <-----

Eleuril
11.20.2012 , 11:23 AM | #3163
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I'm not sure that it is in any of the actual companion romance arcs, though I believe a couple of classes get a one-night stand with a companion and nothing more. There are, however, quite a few opposite-gender flirts with other NPCs that get shot down. I don't recall there being any actual companion storylines where it's possible to keep on flirting with the companion and they just keep saying no.

(If anyone has encountered a companion story arc where this actually happens, feel free to correct me.)

Uluain
11.20.2012 , 01:05 PM | #3164
That is about what I had figured would be the case and I for one would prefer companions be "hero-sexual" rather than have some kind of one-sided rejection enabled for same- but not opposite-gendered romances.

Palar
11.20.2012 , 02:17 PM | #3165
Anyways - a note about 1.6 being on the PTS just appeared on the main page... may have to head over and see what's what.

Tatile
11.20.2012 , 02:20 PM | #3166
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Anyways - a note about 1.6 being on the PTS just appeared on the main page... may have to head over and see what's what.
PvP and Space missions. It seems Makeb is not coming this year.

Slaign
11.20.2012 , 02:31 PM | #3167
Quote: Originally Posted by Wallner View Post
I'm for same gender relationships, IF the companion is written homosexual /bisexual and so on. I don't like idea that the developers make the characters sexuality up to the player. Ofcourse you should be able to flirt, but the player should have to be denied in some situations.

Spoiler
Why?

I've always respected BioWare for at least making an effort to include options for everyone, but I've never understood the need to place limits on it. I don't understand why my Femshep couldn't romance Tali, for example.

As early as Mass Effect 1, I never understood why they didn't just make the romances non-gender specific. As it was, if your character was a hetero male, he got 2 choices. If your character was a hetero female, she got 1. If your character was a gay female, she got 1, and if your character was a gay male, he was left out in the cold with no romance.

Not exactly what I'd call equality, but at least they tried.

Mass Effect 2 tried to be a little more inclusive, but actually ended up exacerbating the problem.

Male hetero: 3 Full fledged romances, 1 non-companion, 2 long distance romances, 1 "It's not you, it's me", 1 Black Widow
Female hetero: 3 Full fledged romances, 1 long distance romance
Female gay: 1 long distance romance, 1 non-companion, 1 "It's not you it's me", 1 Black Widow
Male gay: Nope, still nothing.

Mass Effect 3 made the most effort to be inclusive, but let's look at the scoreboard:

Male hetero: 3 Companion romances, 2 Former companion romances, 2 non-companion
Female hetero: 2 companion romances
Female gay: 1 companion romance, 3 non-companion
Male gay: 1 companion romance, 1 non-companion

Everything could have so easily been all equal if they just made the romance options non-gender specific from the start. It would be fair, and inclusive, and entirely up to the player who to romance.

I don't see how it's fair to dictate which parts of the game I'm allowed to see based on my gender preference. Yes, I know in real life not everyone is open to a romance with everyone, but this isn't real life. This is a game.

The entire premise of BioWare's games is to take the story they want to tell and mold it into the story you want to hear. You make decisions and choices and mold their story into the variation on it that's right for you. Why can't that extend to the romance arcs? I see no good reason.

If you're concerned about being hit on by every character because any of them can be a romance option, the simple solution is to make the romance arc not start unless the player makes the first move.

Further, by insisting that a companion be specifically written as bisexual or gay, you are placing a lot of limits upon the feature. How are they going to do that? Is it going to just be one token gay character that every class can get, like HK-51? If so, which gender is getting left out in the cold like the gay males in Mass Effect 1 and 2?

Even if they include one of each gender, what if I don't like the companion they created for SGRAs? I'm left out in the cold because I only have one choice, where as hetero avatars have 8 or more by virtue of class choice?

If these SGRAs are entirely new companions, how much will they interact with the game's story? Are these to be like the characters in Mass Effect that were gay/bi but you only really had a snippet of story revolving around that?

I should be able to experience every romance in the game regardless of my gender choice. Anything short of that is not fair and equal. It's just token inclusiveness.

Lent_San
11.20.2012 , 02:38 PM | #3168
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Ok, that sucks. But I guess a certain person still waiting for spanish background music to be implemented is happy now for getting more PVP content to play around with.

I hate PvP by the way. But I won't go to threads for PvP lovers and claim it doesn't benefit me, so it should be gone.

Why, oh why....

JediMB
11.20.2012 , 02:45 PM | #3169
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Well, considering that this is up on the PTS not even a week after 1.5 went live on the regular servers, I'm hoping that it's only "1.6 Part 1", so to speak.

Like how 1.5 on PTS initially didn't have the F2P content.

"I wish, I wish, I wish..."
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Tatile
11.20.2012 , 02:46 PM | #3170
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
Well, considering that this is up on the PTS not even a week after 1.5 went live on the regular servers, I'm hoping that it's only "1.6 Part 1", so to speak.

Like how 1.5 on PTS initially didn't have the F2P content.

"I wish, I wish, I wish..."
I briefly considered that as well. I'm in a bit of funk this evening, don't mind me :/

(No milk=no tea=sad panda)