Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
10.06.2012 , 12:14 PM | #2201
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
I don't think so. if new companions are released, some of which are gay only, some of which are straight it will be new content for everyone and extend the number of available options for everyone; not just because of the romance options, but also for the companions themselves. If additionally a few selected existing characters would be made available, every single player character would have effectively more options. If in turn same gender romance options are released it will be new content (if on a smaller scope) for people who are interested in same gender romances only, thus, I believe the exact opposite of what you say is true.

Some people may be attached to one particular character and some of them should be made available, but that would mean that virtually all would have to be available. I don't see the point of this thread as suggesting any particular character, but giving the options at all in the first place. There is no reason why people would like new characters less than existing ones, and the logical consequence of making every single one option work both ways seems most absurd to me.

Therefore, I think you're wrong. New characters would be a lot better than bluntly adding same gender romance options to all existing characters.
To throw some economics into the equation: Which would cost more? New "gay only" companions, or changing current companions to bisexual? I believe it would be easier and more cost effective to tailor the existing companions to fit with the selected playstyle of the individual, than to make all new characters with only one orientation. All new characters require new VAs to be brought in and paid to do their lines, which could take months to complete. It would also take the Developers and Writers more time and money to write completely new storylines for them as well. With simply changing current companions' orientations, the VAs come back and do some new lines, and the DEVs just do new animations that put the same gender in each romance cutscene. The DEVs have already stated that the current companions would be made available for SGRs, and I agree that this is the right way to do it.

Remember, EA is going to go with the easiest route, anyway. Might as well do it right, and BioWare is known for doing romances right.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
10.06.2012 , 12:21 PM | #2202
I also find it disturbing that the BioWare DEVs and Writers seem to be quitting in droves. The only reason that I can think of is that EA is up to its old tricks again. Only instead of blindsiding BioWare the way they did with WestWood, they're putting pressure on the BioWare people to leave, or finding reasons to fire them individually. That way, they can bring in their own people to fill those positions. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but so far the trend is proving me right.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
10.06.2012 , 12:34 PM | #2203
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
I also find it disturbing that the BioWare DEVs and Writers seem to be quitting in droves. The only reason that I can think of is that EA is up to its old tricks again. Only instead of blindsiding BioWare the way they did with WestWood, they're putting pressure on the BioWare people to leave, or finding reasons to fire them individually. That way, they can bring in their own people to fill those positions. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but so far the trend is proving me right.
I think that's going a bit far....I don't see people leaving "in droves". Daniel Erickson was rumored to be out since August and finally made it official, but he clearly seems to be in disagreement about the F2P move. I follow Alex Freed on Twitter and he can't be more insistent that he loves Bioware and his decision to move on is for his own personal reasons and seems shocked and saddened by people making negative assumptions. Of course, the founders themselves retired, but chances are they had retirement on their near future agenda when they made the decision to sell their company to EA back in '07.

Before the downsizing, they had 280 QA staff, 140 artists, 80 engineers and programmers, 75 designers, 40 platform engineers and 30 producers and they even said the sheer numbers actually made it difficult to get things done (from an article back in March). In comparison, I think Arenanet's entire company staff is under 200.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
10.06.2012 , 02:22 PM | #2204
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I think that's going a bit far....I don't see people leaving "in droves". Daniel Erickson was rumored to be out since August and finally made it official, but he clearly seems to be in disagreement about the F2P move. I follow Alex Freed on Twitter and he can't be more insistent that he loves Bioware and his decision to move on is for his own personal reasons and seems shocked and saddened by people making negative assumptions. Of course, the founders themselves retired, but chances are they had retirement on their near future agenda when they made the decision to sell their company to EA back in '07.
Why would a writer disagree with making the game free to play? Are you sure that he didn't simply had enough of Star Wars and wanted a change?

Well, maybe they changed their strategy in so far as to abandon large scale storyline expansions in favour of handy little things like war zones and operations. But that would be a pretty wild guess.

Are you sure that they did downsize? The fact alone that some people leave the team, doesn't necessarily mean that the team gets smaller. Currently Bioware is not making as much money out of it as they would like to, but still considerably more money than they have to. It's not like this game was anywhere near the red numbers.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
10.06.2012 , 02:36 PM | #2205
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
To throw some economics into the equation: Which would cost more?
Developing new companions costs more but the benefit isn't limited to romance options... The companions are there afterwards. It would definitely not be more cost effective, especially considering the sheer amount of companions there are right now and the limitedness with which new romance optoins would actually come available. Remember that the central idea was, not to limit those new companions to a single one class. Making the existing characters available would result in a minor change for a minor group of people and still be a lot work.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
10.06.2012 , 02:50 PM | #2206
HK-51 aside, I think they have said they are looking at how to make (existing) companions more integral long term. If they are still not sure what they want us to do with the 5 companions we have, I don't think they are looking to add a bunch of new ones, even to be shared among classes. I expect there to be new story content across the board with Makeb something for everyone including same gender romances.

As for writers departing, this happens and I don't think we can infer the death of the game or anything else from the staff drastically slimming down post-launch. I understand that is typically how these things go. Daniel Erickson has some strong opinions about what makes good games, and that's good. It means he cares passionately about games. I wish him the best. I wouldn't read anything sinister into his departure.

On the other hand, with his departure we now have no comment from anyone actually with BioWare Austin on the status of SGRs. I don't know that we are particularly entitled to one, but it is at least novel grounds for making the request.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
10.06.2012 , 03:52 PM | #2207
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
On the other hand, with his departure we now have no comment from anyone actually with BioWare Austin on the status of SGRs. I don't know that we are particularly entitled to one, but it is at least novel grounds for making the request.
You've been successful before and I don't expect anything from my own efforts, so why not drop some brick-laden hints?

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
10.06.2012 , 05:24 PM | #2208
Well, not especially so, really. I'll take some credit for our multi-week blitz of the Community Q&A which got us the Guild Summit announcement, but really all I did was keep count. The win there belongs to everyone who continued to ask.

I did email Joveth with my rationale for requesting a more current statement. But really, it is up to the Secret Masters and what they choose to allow. The community team aren't the holdouts here, and neither (as Gabe Amatangelo and Hall Hood have demonstrated) are the writers or the devs.

And there is no clear means of exerting pressure on those who approve info for release. We don't know how that works or have any names, much less strands of hair or fingernail clippings or anything else that might be useful.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
10.06.2012 , 06:10 PM | #2209
You guys keep going, I've been following this thread since I simply lost steam to continue posting, I have been in this battle since 2009 and then later on in 2010 and 2011(Seriously, you think the negativity towards this feature was bad any time recently?.... oh god you should have been there...).

I might have lost steam, but I am really glad you guys picked up the rainbow coloured flag and continue the fighting in our place, keep up your astounding work and dedication.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
10.06.2012 , 06:17 PM | #2210
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Why would a writer disagree with making the game free to play? Are you sure that he didn't simply had enough of Star Wars and wanted a change?
For one thing, he's more than just a writer, he was also a lead designer. I'm just going by what he said on his twitter:
Quote:
"When 90% of the industry is saying the exact same thing (social, mobile, FTP!) a huge number of people are going to lose that race."

"Job hunt thoughts: If you think a monetization approach is the same thing as a game idea I don't know why we're talking."
Sounds to me like he doesn't like F2P. However, the actual circumstances that caused him to leave are not public.

Quote:
Well, maybe they changed their strategy in so far as to abandon large scale storyline expansions in favour of handy little things like war zones and operations. But that would be a pretty wild guess.
I think they're focusing on that now, but I've seen plenty of solid indications from different developes/writers that they aren't abandoning the story, and Makeb is supposed to be pretty big. Maybe not WoW style expansion big, but level cap, new story, etc..

Quote:
Are you sure that they did downsize? The fact alone that some people leave the team, doesn't necessarily mean that the team gets smaller. Currently Bioware is not making as much money out of it as they would like to, but still considerably more money than they have to. It's not like this game was anywhere near the red numbers.
I remember reading several different interviews and articles that stated they did downsize, there were a lot of layoffs and restructuring, but how much is uncertain at this time. I'd have to dig up the sources.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant