Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cathar as a Playable Species

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Cathar as a Playable Species

Ireul
06.09.2012 , 08:16 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Caspian_Rho View Post
Cat people are NOT part of classic Star Wars (classic Star Wars being the core element designs that have continuity through the universe not the OT)... they do NOT belong. People who are demanding these Thundercats are Bio fans first and Star Wars fans second.
They use EU to suit their needs and demands and use EU to slam anything else they don't agree with when it suits.

Rubbish species that don't belong. A few misguided stories early 90's when everyone was depressed from an overdose of Nirvana and Pearl Jam... Just a pity BW have drove most of the real fans off due to the mediocre average sc-fi pulp rubbish BW have spewed out on this title. The Old Derivative
Well then I guess BW should just redo everything and make it like the original trilogy, just to be safe and please the hard-core fans, right? Wrong cuz "classic Star Wars" is incredibly vague. Does that mean the movies and whatever lore pieces from the games, books, comics, etc. that YOU like? Or is that based on Lucas' system of determining what is canon? If it is the second then sorry, but KotOR (game AND comics), Tales of the Jedi comics, a few books, and the Star Wars: Legacy comics place Cathar firmly under C-Canon which can only be overwritten by G-canon (anything directly from the mouth of George Lucas) or T-Canon (Television Canon; so the Holiday Special and Clone Wars). If those two sources ever say Cathar aren't a real species then they aren't, but until then they ARE.

EDIT: did some digging before posting this and it turns out Cathar appeared in Star Wars Holiday Special, which I'm pretty sure is T-Canon, so only George Lucas himself can say Cathar don't belong in the Star Wars universe if we use Lucas' system for determining canon.
Everybody has got to die sometime, so stop squirming and make this easier for me.

Revy
06.09.2012 , 11:19 PM | #122
Are they even playable in 1.3 or is it a future update?
Soon, Very SOON.

Captain_Zone
06.09.2012 , 11:27 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Ireul View Post
EDIT: did some digging before posting this and it turns out Cathar appeared in Star Wars Holiday Special, which I'm pretty sure is T-Canon, so only George Lucas himself can say Cathar don't belong in the Star Wars universe if we use Lucas' system for determining canon.
Actually, the Holiday Special got retconned to S-Canon, since the story in it is N-Canon. It never happened. However, Chewie's family and most of the characters/races it introduced are now used in C-Canon, like the Cathar.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

LilTsar
06.09.2012 , 11:36 PM | #124
sure hope the cathar social ability is lick-grooming.
The Shadowlands: The Further Legacy
Brunch, Cowpunk, Hansky, Indiga,
Swashbuckle, Sharu, Monky & Gettinsmashed

Captain_Zone
06.09.2012 , 11:38 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by LilTsar View Post
sure hope the cathar social ability is lick-grooming.
Or your companion throws you a ball of yarn....
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

iamthehoyden
06.10.2012 , 08:09 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Are they even playable in 1.3 or is it a future update?
They won't be in 1.3. It'll be a future update. 1.3 isn't going to have very much content - it's primarily a "get things working they way they should be" update, i.e. transfers (although that's actually going in before 1.3), group finder, engine optimization, adaptive social gear, and so forth.

But in the future updates they've been showing we'll get Cathar, a new level cap, new operation, new planet, new companion, and some other bells and whistles. I'm hoping that along with those we also get some of the companion updates - new conversations, LI expansion (including SGRs), and so forth. In the video I saw, the Cathar model was the standard male npc that's already in the game so my guess is that they're still working on head models and such.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

AntarNyaus
06.11.2012 , 03:48 AM | #127
I am quite pleased that Cathar will be available. I am normally a horrible altaholic but so far I have only one character, my human smuggler, and he''ll be hitting 45 today and I won't be rolling any new characters until the Cathar go live. Looking forward to a Cathar Sith Inquisitor.

Put please, do something with the hair. It seems like there are two Cathar hairstyles in the game, short and gelled or bald. There needs to be some proper manes for the males and the females. Not to mention good facial hair options for the males and jewelry options for both.
Antar "Tonar" Nyaus, Gunslinger, The Ebon Hawk Nyaus Legacy
Republic: Antaakot, Sage; Antaaro, Guardian; Antaade, Trooper
Empire: Arnot, Mara; Antaanih, Sorc; Antaail, Snipe; Antaahin, Merc
░▒The Army of Light▒░ Welcome Center

Ranadiel_Marius
06.11.2012 , 04:36 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by AntarNyaus View Post
Put please, do something with the hair. It seems like there are two Cathar hairstyles in the game, short and gelled or bald. There needs to be some proper manes for the males and the females. Not to mention good facial hair options for the males and jewelry options for both.
There are only 2-4 static face models for Cathar in the game at the moment. Part of making them a full species is giving them customization options rather than static models for playable characters, so there will definatly be some new hair options. Whether there will be any "manes" or not has yet to be seen.
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

Charon
06.11.2012 , 06:49 PM | #129
Man I think my eyes were bad when I watched the vid but didn't see any mention of the Cathar being playable in that vid, ah well, if they are playable it's cool... just hope there is no cybering with it in roleplay server... oh god.....

Though is it confirmed that we will have to buy the expansion or will it be an update..cause one planet for an expansion wouldn't really be enough.

Still don't like the tier armors, I think they should fire the people working on the design of those armors and find people that can actually make armors that are more star wars in appearance..

It's a good thing that Cathars will be playable, I assume they might end up as a republic race first.

Eillack
06.11.2012 , 07:03 PM | #130
Makes no sense still to have them available on Empire side...that race HATES the Empire with a passion. I.E. the data entry. Only thing I can thing of is enslavement.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.