Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunnery Commando PVP Guide

Jherad
06.18.2012 , 10:28 AM | #21
Heh, as stated that was demonstrating the big numbers vs squishies point. I haven't had a civil war pop for me today, but I'll run some more this evening. 300k+ is fairly regular for civil war, unless the other team ragequits.

This was a fairly reasonable huttball, which I consider to be my weakest WZ:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/704154/Scre..._53_600490.jpg
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso, Aargh - Merc
The Twinkletoes Legacy
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

azhrione
06.18.2012 , 10:54 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Heh, as stated that was demonstrating the big numbers vs squishies point. I haven't had a civil war pop for me today, but I'll run some more this evening. 300k+ is fairly regular for civil war, unless the other team ragequits.

This was a fairly reasonable huttball, which I consider to be my weakest WZ:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/704154/Scre..._53_600490.jpg
Those are pretty good numbers for Gunnery in Huttball. Did notice you went pretty much unharassed and the game went to full time. Those things do inflate numbers, shorter games tend to make better examples.

Jherad
06.18.2012 , 11:02 AM | #23
Yeah, that's about the top end for me in huttball. I wouldn't say I went unharrased though, I just had some good healing, and know the value of timely knockbacks

Anyway, my point was not to brag, but to push against the notion that 300k marks you out as some kind of DPS whore who ignores objectives. That is completely incorrect, and I'd say it is a number you should be doing regularly (if you're well geared), objectives and all.

Yes, if a warzone ends early you're going to do less damage, but you can't measure anything against an arbitrarily shortened time limit.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso, Aargh - Merc
The Twinkletoes Legacy
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

Boufsa
06.19.2012 , 06:31 AM | #24
Hmm I think I can see the point. The reason you are able to pull up so much damage is that you never die. You must have some super healer guarding your back or they might have just given up taking you out. In PUGs most of the commandos die very often, which prevent them to do a lot.

That said, those are still big numbers, did you ever consider making a video? It would be interesting to see you play. But if you do so, please not select the video where you are at your best and easily win like there are so many, because we don't learn alot from these. Rather a video where you barely win (or lose, or a tie) would be greater, because we could see how you play when the opponent is good.

decrypter
06.19.2012 , 10:47 AM | #25
Whilst i enjoyed the read from the OP nice job btw , i cant help feeling gunnery blows , no utility , no defense , no point

Other classes have more dps , more utility , more survivability , and a lot more fun to play as you can atleast try n survive n kill on other classes

The gunnery commando is almost extinct in warzones now and 1.3 will not change it either as a bit more mana and more armour penetration solves nothing about gunnery ,s broken mechanics sadly

I se a lot of great ideas to fix the class from lots of players but theyre just getting ignored as usual quite sad

r.i.p. gunnery commandos ....

SweetOldBob
06.27.2012 , 08:17 AM | #26
Love this guide.

Main lesson for me: my Commando can dish out a lot, but he's fragile. If someone is whaling away on you , you must push back and/or displace quickly, or you are dead.
Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.

Obed, lvl 50 VR 83 Commando,
Dothan, lvl 50 VR 74 Sentinel

Zarslothis
06.27.2012 , 10:31 AM | #27
Great guide, this has helped me immensely! I'm level 42 gunnery commando and after reading this guide i'm really enjoying PvP!!

Titainus
07.06.2012 , 11:24 PM | #28
This guide is ok for pre level 50 once you get to level 50 you might as well as smear your ears with jam and tie your self to a ant hill.
You get all those jumpping fools coming at you with the 3 interpts and knock downs and twistging in the air ..
Your dead in two hits me be 3 if your lucky..

Good luck with this guide....

Boufsa
07.09.2012 , 04:58 AM | #29
I confirm that I am a level 50 War Hero player, I have earned all my valor and done all my warzones as a level 50, so this guide is definetly intended for level 50 players. Did you really read it? :P

Delaoron
07.12.2012 , 04:50 AM | #30
When defending the bridge controls in Voidstar, a Commando should always position himself between the two objective points. This way he can reach both points with his AoEs (Hail of Bolts and Mortar Volley) without need of LoS. This can make a difference of several seconds until one of the enemies notices you.
The Stellaro Legacy on Jar'Kai Sword // Guild: Jen'jidai
Delaoron - Commando Eteral - Shadow Kyola - Gunslinger Seviem - Sage
Ody - Guardian Fez - Scoundrel Quenda - Vanguard Shosha - Sentinel
Wolfe - Sniper Xuun - Sorcerer Ardjor - Marauder Rendor - Powertech