Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frontline Medicine: Combat Medic PVP Strategies and Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Frontline Medicine: Combat Medic PVP Strategies and Tips

Boufsa
06.06.2012 , 04:43 AM | #11
Very interesting guide! I rarely respec healer and never went to warzone as a combat medic, but I think that guide is brilliant and is worth reading by non healers classes as they will learn how to better interact with their CM, and ranged dps could learn alot from the survival tactics as well.

SpaniardInfinity
06.06.2012 , 06:24 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MoobooMagoo View Post
I have only read part of the guide so far (which has been great) and I wanted to add something. When you talk about reserve powercell, there is an easy way to make sure you use it on the right ability.

I usually pop reserve powercell and tech override at the same time. You could use them separately, yes, but by popping them at the same time you get a free, instant ability (usually mp) and they have the same cooldown. This is a great strategy for when you are in a really bad spot and absolutely need to heal someone immediately because it doesn't mess up your ammo management.

This also helps you make sure you use reserve powercell on the right ability, because it becomes instant.
This is very true, and when I update the guide for 1.3 I'll make sure mention this as a strategy for managing ammo.

With that said, the reason I don't use them in conjuction frequently is that I use them for very specific purposes. My Reserve Powercell gets burned whenever I'm forced to chain cast AMP and/or MP without any opportunity for Hammershot/Bacta Infusion/Kolto Bomb. This is often on the fourth consecutive heal, sometimes more or less depending on what's going on. I protect Tech Override for situations where 1) I need an emergency burst of healing to keep a friendly/myself alive until I have time to channel or 2) I need to insta-cast Concussive Round on a target for self-defense or capturing/defending objectives. Because of that, I very rarely have both of them available to me except at the very start of a round - and I prefer to save them for those very specific roles.

EDIT: Also, Reserve Powercell is great for resetting Trauma Probe in the middle of a fight on yourself (something else I'll mention in the coming update to the guide).

But again, for beginners or emergencies (those situations absolutely do come up), this is definitely worth noting. Thanks for the tip
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

themostrealist
06.10.2012 , 02:37 AM | #13
I see that you touched base on using Reactive Shield on a full resolve bar. That is when I use it myself 90% of the time. It is very effective that way. Also, one thing that I have realized, is that I almost always use Trauma Probe on myself. It seems to increase my survivability greatly, however I will cast it on a friendly if I am taking little sustained damage or am near to death. Great post sir!
Luami - Medic CommandoZeorea - Saboteur/Dirty Fighting HybridAshkala - Defense GuardianXineah - Infiltration Shadow Zoendra - Marauder Ghosts of Alderaan/Malicious Corpses, JOIN TODAY!

Brux
07.18.2012 , 09:37 AM | #14
Hello,

First of all, I started reading the guide, have a Level 50 Combat Medic that I just started getting into PVP with, and I have found it to be a very valuable tool. So I wanted to thank you for a great guide. But I have found that PVP can be challenging, mainly because I dont think I am geared properly, that and I didnt start PVPing until just recently so.... But I have heard of some folks having 2 sets of gear, one for PVE and one for PVP, is this something that you might recommend?

Currently I have just a few (but growing) pieces of Expertise gear, but also have a full set of augmented orange gear (belt and bracers excluded) (My PVE set). Would it be worth getting a second set of gear with the Expertise mods from say BattleMaster and WarHero gear in it? Or just say swap out the BattleMaster Mods into my current PVE set. My PVE set only includes a few gear higher than normal Purple 22 mods/armoring/etc..., mainly what you can buy with Daily Commendations. Any advice or information would be great.

SpaniardInfinity
07.19.2012 , 08:23 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Brux View Post
Hello,

First of all, I started reading the guide, have a Level 50 Combat Medic that I just started getting into PVP with, and I have found it to be a very valuable tool. So I wanted to thank you for a great guide. But I have found that PVP can be challenging, mainly because I dont think I am geared properly, that and I didnt start PVPing until just recently so.... But I have heard of some folks having 2 sets of gear, one for PVE and one for PVP, is this something that you might recommend?

Currently I have just a few (but growing) pieces of Expertise gear, but also have a full set of augmented orange gear (belt and bracers excluded) (My PVE set). Would it be worth getting a second set of gear with the Expertise mods from say BattleMaster and WarHero gear in it? Or just say swap out the BattleMaster Mods into my current PVE set. My PVE set only includes a few gear higher than normal Purple 22 mods/armoring/etc..., mainly what you can buy with Daily Commendations. Any advice or information would be great.
First, thanks for reading the guide I'm glad it has helped you. Onto your question:

Having two sets of gear really depends on what you want to do. Do you plan on doing both PVP and PVE? If so, I'd most definitely recommend having two pre-modded sets of gear for two reasons: its convenient and its practical. Since Bioware is discouraging the use of PVE gear in PVP (and vise-verce) with the Expertise stat, you can't really use a single set for both PVP and PVE due to lack of key stats unless you're swapping out the mods. In addition, swapping mods in and out of a single set takes a lot of time, credits, and aggravation, especially if you make a mistake. Besides, having two sets of gear is a good idea for when Bioware introduces more tiers of gear, since the PVP/PVE gear divide is most likely going to grow in future updates. If you only want to do PVP or PVE, though, a single set should be just fine.

As for some tips on getting geared -- it sounds to me that you are more or less just starting out on both the PVP and PVE gear curves (since you're mostly using Daily-commendation gear). I'm not sure if you plan on PVP'ing more than you PVE, but for the PVP side of things, stack up Warzone Commendations (they cap at 1,500) and buy a few major pieces of Battlemaster gear -- head, chest, legs, feet, hands, mainhand/offhand -- and fill in the remaining slots with as much Recruit gear as you can afford. That should net you around 500 Expertise, which while not great, is still much more competitive than wearing non-Expertise gear. Don't worry so much about the Relics, Implants, Earpiece, Belt, or Bracers -- especially if you have daily gear in any of those slots -- until after the major set pieces are out of the way.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Battlemaster gear (I'd need to check on how Recruit gear compares) is roughly equivalent to Rakata gear for Combat Medics. As a result, it's sufficient for most end-game content (the exceptions being hard or nightmare operations, the new operation Explosive Conflict, and the new hardmode Flashpoints -- Kaon Under Siege and Lost Island). So if you have the patience to grind out some warzones for a near-complete Battlemaster set, you'll be in a very good spot for PVE as well. If not, you've already taken the first step towards building your PVE set by getting daily-commendation gear.

One last thing. The set bonuses for Combat Medics are great, and I'd recommend keeping them if you plan on being a full healer. As of Update 1.3, Tionese, Columi, Rakata, Battlemaster, and the discontinued Centurion and Champion gears all have their set bonuses tied to the shell of the gear and, as a result, cannot be transferred. The only PVP gear that can transfer its set bonus is War Hero and the only PVE gear that can transfer its set bonus is Campaign. For both of those sets, the set bonus is tied to the armor mod and can be put in any piece of gear you desire of the same type (that is, head armor must go in another piece of head gear). Also, if that gear has a set-bonus tied to its shell (such as if you want to make a Tionese chestpiece part of your PVP set), the set bonus on the armor mod takes priority over the set bonus in the shell. This will also work in reverse, for if you want to make a Battlemaster piece of gear part of your PVE set
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

Brux
07.20.2012 , 05:49 PM | #16
Thanks for the great response, looks like I can get set up with a Battlemaster PVP set that will make do as a PVE for the time being, until I can get it built up. Thanks again for the great guide!!
Major Brux
ROX

AussieEverest
07.21.2012 , 02:17 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
1. Stack up on Warzone Commendations (they cap at 1,500)

2. Another thing worth mentioning is that Battlemaster gear (I'd need to check on how Recruit gear compares) is roughly equivalent to Rakata gear for Combat Medics.
1. WZ comms cap at 2000
2. Are u sure i thought Rakata gear is alot better then BM for pve.

SpaniardInfinity
07.23.2012 , 08:27 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AussieEverest View Post
1. WZ comms cap at 2000
2. Are u sure i thought Rakata gear is alot better then BM for pve.
1. You can tell how often I let my warzone commendations stack up then, huh? My apologies.

2. It's true that Rakata is better than Battlemaster -- Expertise has no benefit in PVE and there is also a raw stat deficiency on the gear. But, I didn't say that Battlemaster was a substitute to getting Rakata, I merely recommended using Battlemaster until you can grind out a Rakata set since the BM set has a fairly good stat distribution, the same 4-set bonus as PVE, and that it might be more accessible depending on how you play. Thus, Battlemaster gear is "roughly equivalent to Rakata" and "is sufficient for most content".
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

klham
09.07.2012 , 06:03 PM | #19
Given 1.4 and renewed interest in both Combat Medic AND CM/Gunnery hybrid, can anyone point the way to some good PvP vids featuring either spec. I have a soft spot for this hard-working underdog of an Advanced Class.

TheAlopex
10.09.2012 , 04:26 AM | #20
This is a FANTASTIC guide. I read it entirely from start to finish and it was exactly what I was looking for. Awesome, man, awesome. Many thanks!

That brings me to the one topic I felt was left unanswered by your guide: Why do you not recommend 2-point Cell Capacitor after lv 40? What about 1 point in Cell Capacitor and 1 point in Heavy Trooper to help with ammo and survivability a bit each? Is it a worthwhile comprise to make ammo easier to manage overall, without incurring too much on durability and sustained presence?
Would you mind adding a small blurb about the skill under the "Optional Abilities and Skills" section? It seems to be the only skill you've left out and I'd love to know your thoughts on it in more detail, like with the others.

Cheers mate!