Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Omghello's Avatar


Omghello
05.16.2013 , 11:08 AM | #151
Level 55 pvp and the match maker is an absolute joke 20+ straight losses and alway the same guild on the other side tell me how this is fun.

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.18.2013 , 04:09 AM | #152
Quote: Originally Posted by Omghello View Post
Level 55 pvp and the match maker is an absolute joke 20+ straight losses and alway the same guild on the other side tell me how this is fun.
Not really related to this thread.

You're likely on a poor pvp server by the sound of things. I recommend moving to a higher population PvP server if you want more diversity in your play. I also highly recommend that you learn to group up with others and fighting as an organized team (just like your opponents are). You may not win all of them but you're win more. It will also force you and your team's learning curve to increase along with your gear.

Jorojus's Avatar


Jorojus
05.20.2013 , 10:09 AM | #153
This thread could use an update.
The Progenitor
Shin'ju - Operative / Kor'n - Juggernaut / Lissa'nana - Sith sorcerer
Booya - Powertech Moderated swtor forum opening in 2014.
Wea_relegion_swtor

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.20.2013 , 08:38 PM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by Jorojus View Post
This thread could use an update.
It's getting a massive overhaul. I'm almost done rewriting it. As the post three spaces above yours noted. I promise, it will be fully updated, and you all will once again be pleased.

Jorojus's Avatar


Jorojus
05.20.2013 , 08:45 PM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post
It's getting a massive overhaul. I'm almost done rewriting it. As the post three spaces above yours noted. I promise, it will be fully updated, and you all will once again be pleased.
/like
The Progenitor
Shin'ju - Operative / Kor'n - Juggernaut / Lissa'nana - Sith sorcerer
Booya - Powertech Moderated swtor forum opening in 2014.
Wea_relegion_swtor

wolfefang's Avatar


wolfefang
06.04.2013 , 05:57 AM | #156
Okay that is one way of looking at it but standing up there to be fresh meat in for the more advanced players really is not much fun at all. Seriously who like getting their but kicked all the time? In PVP I have become a master at it and it is really getting old. I do not dig PVP at all and only do it when I need experience points to get further in other parts of the game. To be honest I am really not into PVP as much anymore. It might be different if I knew I had a chance when I went in there. It just gets so old! But until you become some sort of Super Warrior Dooms Day machine getting you but kicked is the norm! YAAAA WHOOOO it is really a good time! NOT!

SpoeMeister's Avatar


SpoeMeister
06.04.2013 , 07:57 AM | #157
Quote: Originally Posted by wolfefang View Post
Okay that is one way of looking at it but standing up there to be fresh meat in for the more advanced players really is not much fun at all. Seriously who like getting their but kicked all the time? In PVP I have become a master at it and it is really getting old. I do not dig PVP at all and only do it when I need experience points to get further in other parts of the game. To be honest I am really not into PVP as much anymore. It might be different if I knew I had a chance when I went in there. It just gets so old! But until you become some sort of Super Warrior Dooms Day machine getting you but kicked is the norm! YAAAA WHOOOO it is really a good time! NOT!
Are you basically just saying that because you suck at your class you don't enjoy PvP? Because then you'll need to read up on PvP guides or watch videos about your class in PvP.

This guide helps to give some basic information needed to be succesful in Warzones. It's a great starting guide. At this moment, the only big inconsistency I see is this sentence:

Quote:
Don't get discouraged when you die a bunch of times, because it's expected to die over and over and over again until you've earned the gear, skill, and prestige to become one of the elite.
The gear discrepancy is no longer an issue with bolster (bugs notwithstanding), especially when you are leveling. Valor is not that important anymore either and skill is something you can get by following what was written in the guide...
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
06.05.2013 , 04:37 PM | #158
Alright, I know I've said this but the update is coming, it's nearly complete but I have one more week of college finals to focus on instead of writing game guides, heh. The update is near, and you will all appreciate the changes.

That said, I want to comment on two recent posts and have done so below:

Quote: Originally Posted by wolfefang View Post
Okay that is one way of looking at it but standing up there to be fresh meat in for the more advanced players really is not much fun at all. Seriously who like getting their but kicked all the time? In PVP I have become a master at it and it is really getting old. I do not dig PVP at all and only do it when I need experience points to get further in other parts of the game. To be honest I am really not into PVP as much anymore. It might be different if I knew I had a chance when I went in there. It just gets so old! But until you become some sort of Super Warrior Dooms Day machine getting you but kicked is the norm! YAAAA WHOOOO it is really a good time! NOT!
It's like learning how to ride a bike. You might fall down a couple times before you're the next Johnny Rockstar biker. THe moral here is that if you're not able to compete due to your lack of experience in the game, then you cant just give up, claiming that they're better and you wont ever be good enough. it's the opposite of that. It takes practice! Also, its not all about gear, but when you have exceptional playerkillers using max gear, yeah-- you're going to want to max your gear too. It's a no brainer. That said, I can pwn max gear peoppe all day long with Partisan gear from sheer skill. So remember that the secret is skill. If you lack it, you need to practice more. Better guides coming soon! I promise!

Quote: Originally Posted by SpoeMeister View Post
The gear discrepancy is no longer an issue with bolster (bugs notwithstanding), especially when you are leveling. Valor is not that important anymore either and skill is something you can get by following what was written in the guide...
Valor and gear is still very much important, maybe not gear so much until 55 but still, the moment you hit valor 40, you need to be converting all your comms into rated comms so when you hit 55, you will be maxed. I Have a whole chapter on this that I think you'll enjoy.

That said, you are absolutely correct with your discrepancy, and the issue has been addressed with the new bolster pre-55 system, specifically how it relates to the pre-30 brackets, pre-50, and pre-55 brackets. The new bolster system is incredible balanced actually.

Nersond's Avatar


Nersond
06.06.2013 , 01:19 PM | #159
A video from some lucky german noobs! But itīs a nice BG!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9zz7tgNsTA

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
06.06.2013 , 07:14 PM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by Nersond View Post
A video from some lucky german noobs! But itīs a nice BG!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9zz7tgNsTA
THanks bud, it's actually quite useful to have videos in multiple languages. I'll add this to the guide. Ona up note, I have the rest of the ngiht to goof off away from school, therefore I'm going to dedicate the next few hours to posting up the new guide. If you can gather up a collection of good warzone youtube videos, feel free to list em here so I can review and add them