Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Twitter Updates = Cryptic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Twitter Updates = Cryptic

ruktuim
12.13.2011 , 11:53 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Portabella View Post
@ruktuim

Nobody is asking for anything that goes against policies already covered by official announcements. We don't need to understand the metrics of their launch deployment strategy, and that's not being asked for here. This post is asking for simple clarification of communication already made. I think you're reading more into this thread than was intended.

Nah, I understand, I was just ranting about something a bit off topic.

I didn't find their message to be confusing or cryptic, like I posted above. It was pretty straight forward, 4 waves planned for today, those went well, we might get more.

Deathforged
12.13.2011 , 11:53 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by ruktuim View Post
You don't know that double the amount of people will be logged on all at once. You don't know the amount of people logged on right now.

It's a reasonable approach to slowly leak in the population and adapt to the increase in players with new servers or increased server capacity.

I've been in countless MMO launches from small to big and the approach of flood gating every single people at the exact same time causes unplayable lag, crashes servers and leads to 4 hour ques.

Biowares is simply taking the safe approach. It might be annoying, but it's not the end of the world.

If they let everyone at once instead of posts about waiting people would be posting not being able to play because of instability/ques.

You can't please all the people all the time.
Its not about pleasing everyone its about the reasons behind what you are doing. I don't want another WoW launch where the game was down for the first 6 months.

Its a fact more people will log in on the 20th and beyond than will during the EGA phase. There are 950,000 pre-orders and I believe they are expecting 2,000,000 players around the 20th. If the servers can't handle 950,000 players trickling in throughout the day now then they won't last 10 minutes when 2 million log in all at one time on the 20th.

The stress beta is over and the servers are supposedly capable.

ruktuim
12.13.2011 , 11:59 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Deathforged View Post
Its not about pleasing everyone its about the reasons behind what you are doing. I don't want another WoW launch where the game was down for the first 6 months.

Its a fact more people will log in on the 20th and beyond than will during the EGA phase. There are 950,000 pre-orders and I believe they are expecting 2,000,000 players around the 20th. If the servers can't handle 950,000 players trickling in throughout the day now then they won't last 10 minutes when 2 million log in all at one time on the 20th.

The stress beta is over and the servers are supposedly capable.

Your grasping outside of your knowledge to claim double the numbers will log on the 20th. You don't know that on the 20th 1 million people will all long on at once.

Biowares knows the amount of units they shipped and they know the amount of digital copies sold. It's something you or I don't know. To claim 1 million people will log on the 20th and there will be more people who buy the game on the 20th instead of pre-ordering is simply fantasy.

Sportiva
12.13.2011 , 12:01 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabbathius View Post
My question is - would it have killed them to let us know this stuff ahead of time?

Look, they knew months ago what their preorder distribution looks like. If 50% of total preorders is from Jul 21-Aug 1, they could have easily said "NOBODY August and onwards is getting in until Thursday". How hard is what? I realize it's not a "set in stone thing" and that they want to "remain fluid", but really, how hard is that?!

If they PLANNED for 4 waves, why not tell us about it? I woke up at 7am, saw the first wave didn't even get everyone from July 22nd. But I thought hey, maybe there's 10 more waves today? Had I known it was just 4, I'd have planned my day utterly differently, because there's no way in holy hell they'll finish July today.

They could show some respect for their customers and provide some information on the front page instead of dribbling tidbits of it over on Twitter. That's just my take on this whole fiasco.
I completely AGREE with this sentiment. Bioware has done such a good job of managing expectations up to this point. Why they dropped the ball on their communications on the details of EGA is baffling.

I'm not sure if it was a post in this thread or another, but someone else posted that relying so much on Twitter today makes all of BW's communications sound like a bunch of politicians.
Master Jaice Jenod: Guardian Velo Jenx: GunslingerMaster Gira Jenx: Sage Major Jax’xen Jenod: Vanguard
Saen'a Jenod: Mercenary Dulymus Jenod: OperativeDarth Scoura: Assassin Darth Zetara: Marauder

Deathforged
12.13.2011 , 12:03 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by ruktuim View Post
Your grasping outside of your knowledge to claim double the numbers will log on the 20th. You don't know that on the 20th 1 million people will all long on at once.

Biowares knows the amount of units they shipped and they know the amount of digital copies sold. It's something you or I don't know. To claim 1 million people will log on the 20th and there will be more people who buy the game on the 20th instead of pre-ordering is simply fantasy.

The servers go down at the end of EGA and then everyone will be logging in for the actual launch. So almost all the pre-orders and people who are going to the midnight releases will in fact pretty much be logging in all at one time.

You can't dispute that more people will be playing at launch than will be during the EGA.

Caltone
12.13.2011 , 12:16 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Sportiva View Post
I completely AGREE with this sentiment. Bioware has done such a good job of managing expectations up to this point. Why they dropped the ball on their communications on the details of EGA is baffling.

I'm not sure if it was a post in this thread or another, but someone else posted that relying so much on Twitter today makes all of BW's communications sound like a bunch of politicians.
No way to know this of course but I think they are playing this a little as it goes. That is the way we ramp up users when we roll out new apps, granted our concurrency is not even close to being in the same league as BW's but it is a generally accentped way to roll out apps and see how the servers respond.

Don't you really think they are doing everything they can to let as many people in as soon as possible? I mean for what reason on earth would they want to delay it?
When in doubt empty the magazine