Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Twitter Updates = Cryptic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Twitter Updates = Cryptic

ruktuim
12.13.2011 , 11:26 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Portabella View Post
See I read those updates quite differently...

"One More To Go" has a tone of permanence attached to it. It "could" mean one more in total until we're all in, or it could one more for the day. Which is it, and if it is for the day, do they resume again at 7:00am EST tomorrow?

The next post does not read as a clarification to me, but rather an entirely new thread that almost sounded like the 4th and possibly final wave of the day went out?

Naturally everyone knows waves will continue if there are pre order people not yet in the game so I'm not sure simply that warrants a tweet of its own unless it means something entirely different.

Maybe you didn't see this:
Quote:
Four waves planned so far - day isn't over yet. We're already seeing fairly full servers, so it's going great so far.
Four waves played so far, day isn't over yet. It's not really cryptic, it means they planned 4 waves today, but the day is still early. Things are going well so we might see a few more today.

I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe it's the reader who is the problem (not understanding) and not the writer. You can infer that waves will be going out day by day, because if there were 4 total he wouldn't have used the world "today". Also, it's been said 100 times there will be waves each day. They don't have to keep saying it, it's implied because of previous information.

It's only has hidden meaning if your looking for something.

contingency
12.13.2011 , 11:27 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Fardarter View Post
I am not happy at all with the Twitter Posts, I feel like they are coming from a politician. No straight answers to anything.
Yeah I agree completely. Its rather annoying when someone has a cryptic response just to avoid answering a question. Usually this is because we're not going to like what they're about to say.
Life is your curse, and I shall free you from it...

Portabella
12.13.2011 , 11:28 AM | #13
Thanks for @Rockjaws feed link. I was not following that one, just the official feed. Even still, that doesn't help to clarify things.

I have other things to keep me busy but I will also be the first to admit that I was prepared to work around today's launch too. I'll also admit that there is nothing more frustrating than waiting something that could happen any time within a time frame of 5 days. It's kind of like waiting for a package from Fed Ex before shipment tracking was available as a service.

Deathforged
12.13.2011 , 11:32 AM | #14
Two questions that I think also deserve an answer are:

1. Why stagger the invites and not just allow people to log in? The stream of people will be staggered over the course of the day because not everyone is able to play at this time. Also if the servers can't handle everyone logging in right now how will they handle it tommarrow or the next or all the pre orders and thousands more on the 20th?

2. What really was the point of the stress beta? Were the servers caving and now two days are tacked on early access to buy more time to fix the problem?

Sabbathius
12.13.2011 , 11:33 AM | #15
My question is - would it have killed them to let us know this stuff ahead of time?

Look, they knew months ago what their preorder distribution looks like. If 50% of total preorders is from Jul 21-Aug 1, they could have easily said "NOBODY August and onwards is getting in until Thursday". How hard is what? I realize it's not a "set in stone thing" and that they want to "remain fluid", but really, how hard is that?!

If they PLANNED for 4 waves, why not tell us about it? I woke up at 7am, saw the first wave didn't even get everyone from July 22nd. But I thought hey, maybe there's 10 more waves today? Had I known it was just 4, I'd have planned my day utterly differently, because there's no way in holy hell they'll finish July today.

They could show some respect for their customers and provide some information on the front page instead of dribbling tidbits of it over on Twitter. That's just my take on this whole fiasco.

Portabella
12.13.2011 , 11:34 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ruktuim View Post
Maybe you didn't see this:

Four waves played so far, day isn't over yet. It's not really cryptic, it means they planned 4 waves today, but the day is still early. Things are going well so we might see a few more today.

I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe it's the reader who is the problem (not understanding) and not the writer. It's only has hidden meaning if your looking for something.
You will note that I was referring to the official SWTOR feed. I was not aware of that developer's feed until this post.

Even still, "Four waves planned so far, day isn't over yet"... While an update of any sort is welcome, this is again rather cryptic. We know there have been Three and are waiting for the Fourth... and that the SWTOR feed mentions "One More To Go". It sounds like they mean four total for the day. Again, if so, when will they resume again tomorrow?

ruktuim
12.13.2011 , 11:35 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Portabella View Post
Thanks for @Rockjaws feed link. I was not following that one, just the official feed. Even still, that doesn't help to clarify things.

I have other things to keep me busy but I will also be the first to admit that I was prepared to work around today's launch too. I'll also admit that there is nothing more frustrating than waiting something that could happen any time within a time frame of 5 days. It's kind of like waiting for a package from Fed Ex before shipment tracking was available as a service.

You have a window of expectation. The 13th - 19th, it's like waiting for the cable guy or as you put it a package.

Biowares doesn't want to get pinned down by giving hard information. It's the reason they didn't give us dates for early access. For the same reason we won't get information telling us how long to expect between waves.

Biowares wants to be able to be able to adapt to the server stress as needed. Giving numbers, like saying the next wave is in an hour, handcuffs them. It builds expectations that may need to be crushed.

People would go crazy if their early access date was for example the 14th and it got pushed back to the 15th. People will go nuts if the next beta wave is in 1 hour and it gets push backed 4 hours.

Keeping the community in the dark, while annoying, gives people less to be angry about, well other than angry about being kept in the dark.

Moral of the story, humans are angry angry creatures.

Deathforged
12.13.2011 , 11:41 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ruktuim View Post

Biowares wants to be able to be able to adapt to the server stress as needed.

They need to be able to handle the server stress of the 20th when more than double the people will be logging in ALL AT ONE TIME.

If the servers are able to handle that, and according to bioware after the stress beta they are, why do the staggered multi-day entrance for a smaller population?

Portabella
12.13.2011 , 11:45 AM | #19
@ruktuim

Nobody is asking for anything that goes against policies already covered by official announcements. We don't need to understand the metrics of their launch deployment strategy, and that's not being asked for here. This post is asking for simple clarification of communication already made. I think you're reading more into this thread than was intended.

ruktuim
12.13.2011 , 11:47 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Deathforged View Post
They need to be able to handle the server stress of the 20th when more than double the people will be logging in ALL AT ONE TIME.

If the servers are able to handle that, and according to bioware after the stress beta they are, why do the staggered multi-day entrance for a smaller population?

You don't know that double the amount of people will be logged on all at once. You don't know the amount of people logged on right now.

It's a reasonable approach to slowly leak in the population and adapt to the increase in players with new servers or increased server capacity.

I've been in countless MMO launches from small to big and the approach of flood gating every single people at the exact same time causes unplayable lag, crashes servers and leads to 4 hour ques.

Biowares is simply taking the safe approach. It might be annoying, but it's not the end of the world.

If they let everyone at once instead of posts about waiting people would be posting not being able to play because of instability/ques.

You can't please all the people all the time.