Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So are light side sith still sith?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
So are light side sith still sith?

lokdron
05.02.2012 , 07:54 PM | #1
I have been reading swtor forums and people think that LS sith are still sith I mean before this game came out from what I have seen everyone considered the sith a dark side religion it was founded on the dark side yet when this game gave the option to play as an LS sith I see people start saying that LS sith are still sith.

I am personally going cause after playing an LS sith warrior since people keep telling me LS sith are still sith the story has been pretty much hammering in my face that you are no longer sith and you don't agree with the sith teachings and if other sith find out your light side they will destroy you. As a sith lore and dark side lore lover were are people getting this idea that LS sith are still sith? Its the same thing as being a dark jedi would you consider a dark jedi a jedi? I sure wouldn't.

I mean you don't see LS sith in the sith academy preaching that they should let go or rage and hatred and embrace love, compassion and mercy and all the other positive stuff if you have freedom to be LS if you want as some people say on these forums. Or a LS sith telling everyone that they are light side and they should be too same goes for dark jedi in the opposite fashion.

I am wondering were people are getting this idea and what other people think about this. Cause what I have seen from star wars lore and reading books the sith consider the light side tainted/heretical. This is even talked about in the sith warrior story since.

Spoiler
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

Ulyanovsk
05.02.2012 , 08:30 PM | #2
Sith aren't necessarily "evil". They just don't suppress their emotions like the Jedi.

ScarletBlaze
05.02.2012 , 08:34 PM | #3
Remember one little thing someone reminds me of

The term "Sith" originally referred to a species of alien native to the planets Korriban and Ziost. If you refer to that definition then a Sith can mean light or dark side even though for the most part Sith were darkside.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

lokdron
05.02.2012 , 08:40 PM | #4
Well yeah the sith race was a race that has an affinity with the dark side and then the dark jedi went "woah a whole race based around the dark side! lets take control join them since they pretty much have the same views as us!". Hence the sith order was made and founded on the dark side.
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

grandmthethird
05.03.2012 , 06:49 AM | #5
this is just an opinion, i don't really have much to back it up. but i will try. a jedi that is darkside becomes sith, the 2 main examples that every1 would know is revan and anakin. and a sith that becomes lightside would be a jedi, as far as i know there is either, no, or only one case of this. perhaps some1 that knows this story can shed some light. as i have not read this series yet. did luke turn mara?

anyway taking this game out of the picture, in story's, as far as i know there is no lightside sith. just some are more evil than others
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Annedromeda
05.03.2012 , 08:04 AM | #6
Seeing as how the actual Sith are a race, then LS Sith are still Sith, by race, but not by religion (or belief or teachings or whatever).
When a man dies, a swarm of highly charged energies deserts the body and goes out into space entering another cycle of life. These energies have an IMMORTAL nature. -Thomas Edison

psandak
05.03.2012 , 08:46 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by grandmthethird View Post
this is just an opinion, i don't really have much to back it up. but i will try. a jedi that is darkside becomes sith, the 2 main examples that every1 would know is revan and anakin. and a sith that becomes lightside would be a jedi, as far as i know there is either, no, or only one case of this. perhaps some1 that knows this story can shed some light. as i have not read this series yet. did luke turn mara?

anyway taking this game out of the picture, in story's, as far as i know there is no lightside sith. just some are more evil than others
Not necessarily. Not all dark/fallen Jedi become Sith. There are many instances of this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Jedi

ChrisRedmond
05.03.2012 , 08:54 AM | #8
It's not a black and white issue. When I rolled my Sith warrior I did not take the chance to wipe a lot of people, instead taking the 'light' option of sending them to the Dark Council for interrogation, when it may have been kinder, and more lightside, so kill them there and then. Others however, were summarily executed because I felt it would be more 'Sith' to do so.

Being a Sith is not about crushing people just because you can. The Sith code teaches that unless your victory proves you to be more powerful than the vanquished, then it is not a true victory. To jettison people from an airlock without them ever being aware of your presence would be a good example of this. It would be a darkside action, but not worthy of the Sith, and contrary to the Sith code.

Crushing insects because you can is...beneath a true Sith.

It is also possible to be a darkside force user but not be a Sith. You see this in game a lot, poor unfortunates being jettisoned from airlocks for example. Lots of darkside toons thinking it makes them Sith. "judder"

I roll my Sith and follow the Sith code, and they end up more light than dark, but I frequently take many darkside options because it is Sith to do so.

As Yuthara Ban described the Sith code- "Simple words, yet easily misunderstood". I think the Sith code is best described here-

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Code_of_the_Sith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWXIjt12yw
If you can't fix it, forget it.

Aximand
05.03.2012 , 09:03 AM | #9
One thing that a lot of people confuse about the Sith Code is that it never expressly says that Hate, Cruelty and Anger are required to be a Sith. Passion encompasses a lot of emotions, including feelings of love and affection, the thing is, the people that matter in the Sith hierarchy (Lords, Darths, Emperors) all use the aforementioned hate, anger and cruelty.

Now, the Sith Code is fairly ambiguous (technically, the Peace thing is the only part that could be considered evil, but a lack of peace does not necessarily mean galaxy spanning war), but the Sith philosophy is based around the strong ruling over the weak, and only the powerful surviving. Its very Animallistic in that only the strong survive, and the weak will only be good enough for slavery or servitude.

So, to answer your question, you do not have to be Dark sided to follow the Code of the Sith, but you do to live by the philosophy of the strong dominating the weak.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

aramilshadow
05.03.2012 , 09:31 AM | #10
The sith teachings are all about embracing ALL of your emotions, yess that usually means you embrace Hatred and anger, but it can also mean love, compassion. The Jedi teach you to supress your emotions which is why ani turned darkside because he embraced love, which turned to hatred when his wife was dying. So yes there can be light side sith.