Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Not another WoW PLEASE!!!

Lt_Latency
04.28.2012 , 07:14 AM | #21
The problem is

Group finder > 1.3
xserver WZs > 1.2.2 probably.
Duel spec -> 1.3.2-1.4 probably.

All these things were added for very good reasons in WoW and dealt with very real problems SW:Tor has now. Blizzard actual tried to resist them and find ways to not use them at the start. But once there were in they all became very popular.

These are items you should have just learn from watch games before you why they are important.

Valkirus
04.28.2012 , 07:17 AM | #22
But you would'nt mind having graphics which rival Rift's and shadows, AA as good? The cross server LFG feature is one thing which TOR most certainly needs. Copying is not bad if it is a good thing you are copying. Manufacturers do it all the time and the customers of thier prodructs benefit from it. I wish WoW had the nice customizing of the UI that TOR has. Rift has it and one could argue TOR copied them. :P
Trust is something which is earned.

Viridious
04.28.2012 , 07:28 AM | #23
Quote:
cant argue my post so try to bash it eh?
I can argue your post ...and with relative ease.however,please keep in mind that my rebuttal is just that....and NOT intended as flaming.
I doubt BW created SWTOR for the sole purpose of being an "anti-WoW"..I kinda get the sense it is in fact the end result of the great KOTOR games that came before it.It is also the star wars game that MANY fans of the franchise have been waiting for since even back to the old X-Wing vs TIE Fighter days....and as you know those games were around LONG BEFORE World of Warcraft ( Star Wars itself was around when the idea of wow was just a twinkle in someone`s eye).So you cant sit there and say that SWTOR is a result of wow.

As far as your comment about SWTOR needing wow players to survive..while its true that a LOT of players came here from wow...it is also true that possibly an equal amount of new subscriptions are from fans of the franchise (Star Wars) who just want to play in a make believe SW universe...who have never even touched a WoW game.

Again,this is not meant as flaming,just a different viewpoint.

PSONT TURN SWTOR INTO WOW.

Darth_Bond
04.28.2012 , 07:43 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Viridious View Post
I can argue your post ...and with relative ease.however,please keep in mind that my rebuttal is just that....and NOT intended as flaming.
I doubt BW created SWTOR for the sole purpose of being an "anti-WoW"..I kinda get the sense it is in fact the end result of the great KOTOR games that came before it.It is also the star wars game that MANY fans of the franchise have been waiting for since even back to the old X-Wing vs TIE Fighter days....and as you know those games were around LONG BEFORE World of Warcraft ( Star Wars itself was around when the idea of wow was just a twinkle in someone`s eye).So you cant sit there and say that SWTOR is a result of wow.

As far as your comment about SWTOR needing wow players to survive..while its true that a LOT of players came here from wow...it is also true that possibly an equal amount of new subscriptions are from fans of the franchise (Star Wars) who just want to play in a make believe SW universe...who have never even touched a WoW game.

Again,this is not meant as flaming,just a different viewpoint.

PSONT TURN SWTOR INTO WOW.
not the sole purpose perhaps, but its been a BIG part of a concentrated effort to steal away wows cash cow.

especially on the part of EA's executives
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

Darth_Moonshadow
04.28.2012 , 07:47 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
not the sole purpose perhaps, but its been a BIG part of a concentrated effort to steal away wows cash cow.

especially on the part of EA's executives
No, SWTOR was made to replace the trainwreck that was Galaxies and to get all the aging Clone Wars kiddies. They don't need to steal players from Warcraft. No idea why they would want to anyway. That community sucks. Let them stay there.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Jett-Rinn
04.28.2012 , 07:49 AM | #26
This is the issue WoW players are going to play WoW they aren't going to play TOR for long; If BioWare caters to the group that isn't going to stay with them anyway they are going to end up pissing off their core players.....if they are so big on copying Blizzard they might want to ask them what happens when you piss off your base.

Drudenfusz
04.28.2012 , 07:50 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by metalgearyoda View Post
Group finder > 1.3
Recount > already in, see MOX
xserver WZs > 1.2.2 probably.
Duel spec -> 1.3.2-1.4 probably.
Pandas > 1.5
Pandas are nice for WoW, but we don't need them here (I have nothing against pandas, but this is Star Wars), so I would rather like to have a pet battle system!
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Lana Everhope - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Shadow Tank on The Red Eclipse
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Darth_Moonshadow
04.28.2012 , 07:51 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Jett-Rinn View Post
This is the issue WoW players are going to play WoW they aren't going to play TOR for long; If BioWare caters to the group that isn't going to stay with them anyway they are going to end up pissing off their core players.....if they are so big on copying Blizzard they might want to ask them what happens when you piss off your base.
Answer: They'll cry and moan on your forums and claim to quit yet be on the forums a month later posting "Hug a ____" threads and talking about how the next MMO to release will "kill you".
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

HeavensAgent
04.28.2012 , 08:02 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramayana View Post
Without grammar, your post comes off as you sounding kinda stupid.
You make a really good point. Regardless of the content of the message, the poor grammar combined with the fuschia signature does portray a lack of real-world experience and understanding.
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
without wow swtor would not exist

without wow players, bw would run out of money in an hour and the game would go bust.
It might be different, but it would still exist. It would probably be a smaller-scale game, of the size considered top-of-the-line before WoW's anomalous success. SWTOR may have been released sooner, in fact, as a progression from SWG.
Quote:
without wow bioware would have no reason to create swtor because, lets face it the whole idea behind this games creation was to take down blizzard and steal its cash cow.
This has always been a ridiculous statement. To "take down" WoW a game would have to, essentially, have more content than WoW, a higher state of polish, and at least as much post-launch experience at launch. It's literally impossible. The only thing that can bring WoW to an end is Blizzard, either intentionally or due to mistakes made in development and/or policy.

Sure, WoW subscribers are a target market, but they are for all new MMORPGs. They demographic is a big segment of the market, representing a lot of value and varying levels of dissatisfaction with their current game. It would be foolish not to target them. That doesn't mean that the objective of a new title is to overthrow WoW, though.
Quote:
because money, not sentiment, makes the world go round.
Yes and no. This is the current prevailing business philosophy, but it can be extremely hard to apply in situations such as this. The argument that the vocal segment of the community requesting, and sometimes demanding, these new features is valid and bears consideration. Blizzard has lost sight of this, it has negatively impacted their game on more than one occasion, and it can safely be considered as one of the reasons for that game's current decline. There is nothing wrong with hoping Bioware learns from their mistakes: Sometimes the vocal segment of the population agrees with the majority, sometimes they don't, and sometimes it doesn't matter.

The developers should seek to determine what's best for the game's continued growth, not to appease the masses. The former can result in a successful MMORPG title. The latter is impossible to attain.

dprijadi
04.28.2012 , 08:07 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Drudenfusz View Post
Pandas are nice for WoW, but we don't need them here (I have nothing against pandas, but this is Star Wars), so I would rather like to have a pet battle system!

i thnk The 'panda' in swtor = cuddly teddy bear race = ewoks..

im ok with adding ewoks or gungans as long as BE adds wookie playable race 1st