Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free 30 days costing me 26 bucks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Free 30 days costing me 26 bucks

Odacon
04.24.2012 , 05:43 PM | #1
My billing date is the 19th of each month so as always on the 19th i checked my bank account to see if i had any pending transactions and i did not, so i thought the free 30 days were credited to my TOR account, i checked my bank account today and i have a pending transaction for TOR on it that will clear tomorrow on the 25th first thing in the morning when the banks open 9am pst. the problem for me is that i do not have the cash on hand to cover the pending transaction today but i get my pay check in the mail tomorrow at 10am pst, so i cant fund my account in time causing a 26 dollar overdraft fee if i had been billed on the 19th it would have been funded, after reading the forums i have a better understanding of what happened, the extra days credited to my TOR account caused my bank account to be billed later and my billing date caused my free 30 days to be retroactive for the following month, if i knew this on the 19th i could have avoided this. having said that the only solution that i can think of is if the pending transaction is postponed till the 26th, Im happy to pay for the extra day and will pay a fee if needed it would save me more money then it will cost me. PS. sorry for the wall of text.

Leggomy
04.24.2012 , 05:44 PM | #2
You knew your billing date was the 19th not the 24th or 25th right? That being said just call your bank if you are not a person who consistently overdraws his account they will remove the overdraft fee I am sure.

Odacon
04.24.2012 , 05:47 PM | #3
really its a credit union

Leggomy
04.24.2012 , 05:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
really its a credit union
Credit unions are way better to deal with than banks. Also one thing I do is i use a green dot prepaid visa to pay for games etc. That way worst case it just declines the charge. Im like you I don't usually have any money in my account heh.

Adric_the_Red
04.24.2012 , 06:06 PM | #5
Cancel your subscription (NOT your account) today. You will still get to play until the end of yoru current subscription term. You will not be billed tomorrow when your subscription runs out.

Resubscribe tomorrow after you have money in the bank. Or go to gamestop or bestbuy or wherever tomorrow and buy a time card, and pay your sub with that. Then next time your sub is about to run out, you won't have to guess whether renewing it will overdraw your account. You can just buy another timecard when you have the funds.

DelTrigger
04.24.2012 , 06:09 PM | #6
Credit unions are nicer, yes, but I've been in circumstances where they would only refund the overdraft if the company in question directly contacted them.

I'm also not sure canceling the sub would do anything. The charge is currently pending; wouldn't it just go through when the bank opens?

It's a harsh lesson, but maybe necessary. I'd try e-mailing customer support and see if they'll cooperate with your bank.

rjkishida
04.24.2012 , 06:12 PM | #7
if you were only sticking around for the free 30 days, odds are you should have unsubb'd before the billing date. I can understand wanting to see how things panout, but I wouldn't bet on Bioware getting their act together before the 30 days run out.

Odacon
04.24.2012 , 06:17 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Leggomy View Post
You knew your billing date was the 19th not the 24th or 25th right? That being said just call your bank if you are not a person who consistently overdraws his account they will remove the overdraft fee I am sure.
my billing date has always been on the 19th till this month, Id rather not have to call my credit union and ask them to do that if i dont have to, FYI its my bill pay account its for recurring monthly bills and i fund it according to when my monthly bills are supposed to come out.

Total-Khaos
04.24.2012 , 06:18 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
My billing date is the 19th of each month so as always on the 19th i checked my bank account to see if i had any pending transactions and i did not, so i thought the free 30 days were credited to my TOR account, i checked my bank account today and i have a pending transaction for TOR on it that will clear tomorrow on the 25th first thing in the morning when the banks open 9am pst. the problem for me is that i do not have the cash on hand to cover the pending transaction today but i get my pay check in the mail tomorrow at 10am pst, so i cant fund my account in time causing a 26 dollar overdraft fee if i had been billed on the 19th it would have been funded, after reading the forums i have a better understanding of what happened, the extra days credited to my TOR account caused my bank account to be billed later and my billing date caused my free 30 days to be retroactive for the following month, if i knew this on the 19th i could have avoided this. having said that the only solution that i can think of is if the pending transaction is postponed till the 26th, Im happy to pay for the extra day and will pay a fee if needed it would save me more money then it will cost me. PS. sorry for the wall of text.
Most financial institutions will reverse an overdraft fee if you bring your balance to a positive level the same business day. Give yours a call to see if they partake in that practice, or look for overdraft fee information on their website.

Odacon
04.24.2012 , 06:20 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DelTrigger View Post
Credit unions are nicer, yes, but I've been in circumstances where they would only refund the overdraft if the company in question directly contacted them.

I'm also not sure canceling the sub would do anything. The charge is currently pending; wouldn't it just go through when the bank opens?

It's a harsh lesson, but maybe necessary. I'd try e-mailing customer support and see if they'll cooperate with your bank.
yes you are right thank you for the post