Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How will these nice laptops run SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
How will these nice laptops run SWTOR?

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.23.2012 , 11:13 PM | #1
After using the worst computer in the world on this game for a little over a month now, I am finally going to go spend the money on a computer for it. This is going to be a laptop that will be used for school, gaming, music (running a keyboard through it and using some studio type program like ProTools or something for all the sounds and equilizing, etc....), and for about any other basic needs a college music major would have.

So I have been messing around with customizing the Dell XPS 17. I believe the specs that would affect the game on these three are the same, but I will show them all anyway. maybe someone could tell me what they think the best deal is and if some of the extra stuff is worth the money.

These are all Dell XPS 17s
Option 1: Dell Price $2,757.94
Spoiler

Option 2: Dell Price $2,388.94
Spoiler

Option 3: Dell Price $2,243.96
Spoiler

How will SWTOR run on these?

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.23.2012 , 11:15 PM | #2
This is the DxDiag on my current computer. Needless to say it is a huge improvement...

Spoiler

kjfett
04.23.2012 , 11:19 PM | #3
Gamers use desktops. Do you have any idea the rig you could put together with that kinda money? Top end everything...OCed 2500K running at 4.5 GHz, 16GB RAM, amazing video card, 3 120mm fans or liquid cooling and two 23" LED LCD monitors. Yeah....leave the laptops for the mac lovers and angry bird fan boys.
Harbinger Server- Wild Legacy
Thornz
< Burning Chaos >

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.23.2012 , 11:26 PM | #4
I need the mobility of the laptop. a desktop is not an option for me on this.

Though would be nice, but yeah, this is going to be my mobile college machine for the next few years.

PatT
04.23.2012 , 11:28 PM | #5
I run swtor on a laptop. One with lower specs than the 3rd optioin, didn't look close at options #1 and 2.

I wll say this. No matter what you put in there, laptops have serious cooling problems. It's not that you can't run the game, it's that your computer will have huge heat issues. and a 5400 rpm hdd is slow.

If you can get a desktop, do it.
If you must have a laptop, get the best cooling under it and use another fan as well. It will still get hot.

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.23.2012 , 11:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by PatT View Post
I run swtor on a laptop. One with lower specs than the 3rd optioin, didn't look close at options #1 and 2.

I wll say this. No matter what you put in there, laptops have serious cooling problems. It's not that you can't run the game, it's that your computer will have huge heat issues. and a 5400 rpm hdd is slow.

If you must have a laptop, get the best cooling under it and use another fan as well. It will still get hot.
Right, I was actually about to post about cooling options. There were some reviews saying that this laptop actually had fairly efficient cooling, but I will also probably be carrying around one of those cooling things to use underneath it, and make sure and use it in nice cool air conditioned areas.

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.23.2012 , 11:34 PM | #7

and also, the other 2 options had the higher rpm hdd. much better one.

The other two Hard drive options were 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
and a solid state 256G one that was rather expensive.

kjfett
04.23.2012 , 11:35 PM | #8

yeah, heating is one huge reason that gaming = desktops....laptops just don't have heating down and what the vendors tend to do is stuff like disabling turbo and parking CPUs to keep the cooling down, which ends up making a killer i7 laptop rig absolutely suck in a bad way.

OP if you must go laptop, get the best i5 you can get, they have few cores, but have the high speed and enough cores to do the job and they tend to be a little less hot than an i7 running 8 cores. Also, get an SSD hard drive as they tend to be cooler and never go with anything less than 7200 spin on a hard drive, that 5600 would be spinning far more often and running up that heat even more. Ohh and get the biggest baddest, cooling pad you can find and never fire up SWTOR without it. Or, just get the gaming desktop rig as I previously mentioned and take the difference you saved with it over one of those laptops and get a netbook for schooling around in...and you will be glad when you drop said netbook while going between classes that you are only out the $400 and not the $3000...and you can come back here and thank me for sparing you that drama.
Thornz
< Burning Chaos >

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.23.2012 , 11:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by kjfett View Post
yeah, heating is one huge reason that gaming = desktops....laptops just don't have heating down and what the vendors tend to do is stuff like disabling turbo and parking CPUs to keep the cooling down, which ends up making a killer i7 laptop rig absolutely suck in a bad way.

OP if you must go laptop, get the best i5 you can get, they have few cores, but have the high speed and enough cores to do the job and they tend to be a little less hot than an i7 running 8 cores. Also, get an SSD hard drive as they tend to be cooler and never go with anything less than 7200 spin on a hard drive, that 5600 would be spinning far more often and running up that heat even more. Ohh and get the biggest baddest, cooling pad you can find and never fire up SWTOR without it. Or, just get the gaming desktop rig as I previously mentioned and take the difference you saved with it over one of those laptops and get a netbook for schooling around in...and you will be glad when you drop said netbook while going between classes that you are only out the $400 and not the $3000...and you can come back here and thank me for sparing you that drama.
Well another reason for the mobility. I will have some different music software, some studio stuff and some stuff to run with a keyboard i am getting soon, to use at my music gigs, so i will need something a bit better than a notebook for that.

kjfett
04.23.2012 , 11:44 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CJ_SAX_MAN View Post
Well another reason for the mobility. I will have some different music software, some studio stuff and some stuff to run with a keyboard i am getting soon, to use at my music gigs, so i will need something a bit better than a notebook for that.
Doesn't hurt to peak over at the netbooks and notebooks to see the options, you might be surprised what can run your music gear and at what cost. I am sure that a gaming desktop and a laptop that meets your needs would still be cheaper than the $3000 you are looking to drop on that single piece of equipment and you'll actually get a good long life out of the desktop whereas the single laptop would be needing replaced before you even get out of school I bet. It's your call though, if you must go with the single laptop, know that heat will be your enemy, an enemy no cooling pad alone will completely negate.
Thornz
< Burning Chaos >