Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

Lyriara
04.25.2012 , 11:16 AM | #31
I disagree with most people saying that the consular story is boring until the end but I must admit its an aquired taste.

The act 1 is by far the worst. You feel dragged into a story that doesnt really make you feel all that important and it makes you chase people across the galaxy that you dont care about unless youre really into roleplaying that youre a selfless jedi caring only for the good of the jedi order and the republic.

Act 2 and 3 however really get interesting as you become the one who interacts with nations leaders and make you do things that are really tied with the background planet quest series as someone else mentionned before. So on balmorra, the class quest is really tied to the planet reclamation effort, on Hoth you take on the White Maws pirates, on Belsavis your quest is directly linked to the Esh-ka, etc... It gives a feeling that your in the middle of every planet crisis that every other classes know of and not just for your personal interest/mission.

In the end, the consular story does feel much less personal than many other class stories since its not about a personal vendetta or things alike but you do things that affects every republic/imperial players in the game storywise. Like I said, its an aquired taste, to feel that most of the game story affecting the other classes is directly influenced by the consular's actions.

elliotcat
04.25.2012 , 12:01 PM | #32
I am a scoundrel, so I will try and answer your questions.

- Is story good?

I think it is. As with any game you get out of it what you put in. Spend some time thinking about your character and his/her motivations and you will enjoy it. Act 2 is a little boring but it sets things up for Act 3 which is better. You get a really interesting group of companions and to me, one of the main strengths of the story is that you work for yourself. No one is telling you what to do, there's a lot of freedom whereas the Jedi classes and Troopers have to (or are encouraged to) follow certain codes. A lot of us ladies are also big fans of the romance storyline for the class - what can I say? I'm a woman, I love a good love story.

- do you feel weak? As a warrior I am feeling completely powerful and nothing can stop me, even Elites 2 or 3 levels higher than me.

It depends. Sometimes I do. At 41 I have some trouble at times defeating elites, but often a gear upgrade and changing which companion I use makes a big difference. You get a few stuns/roots and things of that nature that make fighting easier. It's not the kind of class where you can just bang buttons and expect to win a fight, you have to think and strategize. Scoundrels get stealth and that REALLY helps.

- How is healing?

It's pretty good. I've been in groups where I was the only healer and done just fine. Again, you have to know your class well, but it's fine once you get the hang of it. I like it a lot.

Is leveling as a scoundral healer feel boring?

I don't think so. If you keep one of your tank companions with you it's relatively simple and gives you good practice healing, so that's what I do most of the time.

-How is gameplay?

I think it's a really fun class. Compared to the JK/SI which are my other alts I easily have the most fun on my scoundrel. All your clothes look like they came from a thrift store, though, which sucks.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

arlotippit
04.25.2012 , 12:15 PM | #33
just my 2 cents, i've finished the story line for the trooper, sith warrior, bounty hunter, smuggler and jedi knight. while it could be argued that the trooper was the most boring to lvl, which i wouldn't neccessarily disagree with, i enjoyed the ending quest for the trooper far more than the other 4, it was a lot of fun. and personally i didn't think leveling the trooper was boring but i could see why someone could think that. depends if you like "military" style game stories. i happen to love them, so it was awesome to me

ZionHalcyon
04.25.2012 , 12:25 PM | #34
Smuggler's Story is best in Chapter 1. Unfortunately after that it really loses it's way and you just are sort of a gun for hire - its ok, but a big let down compared to the craziness of chapter 1. Not that chapters 2 and 3 shouldn't have been more serious, but they should have put in more moments focusing on the messy relationships with the opposite sex the smuggler has, and just what a wild, complicated galaxy it is.

GetPloughed
04.25.2012 , 12:44 PM | #35
I loved the Trooper story up til act 3. I haven't finished Voss yet but that is more because I find Voss and Belsavis before that to be very boring and nothing at all to do with the Trooper story.

Out of the two classes that I've taken to act 3, the Trooper and the Sith Warrior. I think the Trooper has the better companions, and the better act 2. Both have good act 1s, but honestly that seems to be the path of most classes that I've read about, act 1 is solid, where as act 2 falls flat.

I did Smuggler up to Alderaan and that was good as well, really loved the dark side option, plus can't go wrong with Bowdar.

Sotof
04.25.2012 , 01:00 PM | #36
The trooper story is the best one in my opinion. You have got the best squad (character wise) and an amazing story just pulling you forward to destroy the Empire. That said I do think all the stories have their strengths and I appreciate them for their different stories - so not everyone is the super sayan JK who kill the avatar of the Emperor.
My name is not Bob.

XCantaloupeX
04.26.2012 , 01:31 PM | #37
Thanks for all the replies

Jenzali
04.26.2012 , 05:53 PM | #38
Trooper has a more Mass Effect feel than a Star Wars feel, in that the story pretty much builds up with you finding and building a team of differing personalities from scratch. So if you liked ME you'd probably like the trooper (doubly so if you went female as that is Commander Shepard's voice).

Captain_Zone
04.26.2012 , 07:01 PM | #39
Chapter 1 of the Trooper story is actually pretty good, imo. Chapter 2 is where it begins to bog down. When my now deleted Commando picked up Tanno Vik on Balmorra, all I could think was "Why isn't this guy in the Star Wars equivalent of Leavenworth????" I am now playing through Chapter 1 again with my Vanguard, and I have to say it's a blast yet again. Definitely a lot of fun. Especially the Trooper's own subtle way of trolling Garza.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

DeutschGamer
04.26.2012 , 07:20 PM | #40
I'm surprised you would even consider the Consular competition.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.