Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

XCantaloupeX
04.22.2012 , 07:51 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by super-kabob View Post
i hate the trooper storyline, consular is boring, smuggler is fun, i like both smuggy and consular but go gunslinger consular story is boring.
Thanks for the answer

Squatdog_nz
04.22.2012 , 11:55 PM | #12
Quote:
I play as a gunslinger, and I feel weaker than my commando. You are more a glass cannon with really limited aoe. The only one interesting comes around lvl48... Also, the only mez you have works only against droids, and it's limited. I was able to solo H2 with my commando, and unable as a smuggler. Maybe it's different as a scoundrel, but I'm not sure.

Uhhhhhhhh...what???

You mean apart from Flashbang (8sec AOE mez), groin kick (4sec stun), Cover Pulse (knockback and root), Leg Shot (root) and Ambush (knockback)?

ThatGnome
04.23.2012 , 06:57 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Squatdog_nz View Post
Uhhhhhhhh...what???

You mean apart from Flashbang (8sec AOE mez), groin kick (4sec stun), Cover Pulse (knockback and root), Leg Shot (root) and Ambush (knockback)?
Yes, apart from those....

To the OP, I'm not sure that you can get a good opinion from other people without giving some sort of idea of what you like. I've seen all sorts of people saying how great the Jedi Knight story is, and scratched my heads about why I don't like it. If you can find people who like the stories you like, then finding out what other stories they like could give a better idea of what to true. FWIW, I find the Trooper story a bit bland in places but not unpalatable; the Sith Warrior is very mixed, with parts I really like and parts I dislike; I tried the Jedi Knight twice and couldn't get into the story; the Smuggler was/is my favourite by some margin; the Sith Inquisitor turned me off from the start; the Bounty Hunter seems like it's going to be fun; and I haven't tried Consular or Agent yet.

VarrusTheEthical
04.23.2012 , 09:37 AM | #14
Just as a counterpoint, I loved the trooper storyline, even after playing through two other classes (Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior).

To put it bluntly, no, the Trooper story is not boring. If anything, I think it's one of the best pieces of star wars military fiction outside of the X-Wing Novels or the Heir to the Empire series. All the squadmates are varied and interesting, the story progresses logically and yet still holds many surprises. Finally, as a trooper, you get a very real feeling that you're the one who's saving the Republic while the Jedi are busy saving the Galaxy.

XCantaloupeX
04.23.2012 , 01:25 PM | #15
Hey someone stated earlier to post what i like in a class.. so here it goes!

I like a good story with good dialogue..Sometimes dialogue itself will make me more interested than the story

I dont wanna feal weak. I played to level 30 on a sorcerer but i ended that character because I switched servers and when i played as it i felt scared to go up against strong enemies! haha! But even if i didnt switch servers I still would of kept that character because I heard it got better

Im more of a pve player or world pvp, its hard for me to get interested in warzones.

I think the idea of meleeing with a gun is dumb but i guess i would still do it

I dont really like the cover system

I want to contribute to groups, so for my next character (as i stated before) I am looking for a tank or healer, not just random DPS.

Well thats all I can think of off of my head, but if you want to know any more information just ask

Morlaak
04.23.2012 , 01:29 PM | #16
The only character of those I've played to level 50 is smuggler, so, to answer your questions:

The Overall Story (The story that binds the little stories between planets) isn't that good, specially in Act 1. It may seem a bit underwhelming if you played a Warrior. Each planet's story, however, are often really good or, at the very least, decent.

I personally never felt weak as a scoundrel healer, though I often used my stealth to avoid fighting mobs.

Healing is absolutely great. I tried both the Trooper and Smuggler healer and I'd definitely choose the Smuggler one, as I felt it was a bit more dynamic.

The gameplay is certainly not boring. It's better if you do it with a friend (As it always happens when you're a healer) but is certainly not mandatory and you shouldn't have any problems at all to finish your quests if you do them at the appropiate level. You can actually solo some heroics because of your stealth, so that's a bonus.

But the best, the very best of the Smuggler, is the dialogue. I have played most classes so far and none of them get near to the cockyness and originality of the smuggler dialogue. If only for that, you should play at least to Hoth to see how great it is.

So yeah, I would recommend it.

XCantaloupeX
04.23.2012 , 01:52 PM | #17
Lol i love this game all the classes look so interesting! Im thinking about maybe doing a jedi knight for my next character cause of the intro cinematic!!!!

XCantaloupeX
04.23.2012 , 01:53 PM | #18
I wish i can just change this post to general republic class discussion haha

ChewyYui
04.23.2012 , 02:01 PM | #19
I've played the completed the Imperial Agent story, the Jedi Knight story almost to the end, and started the Trooper and Consular story and personally i think the IA story is really good, I know its not Republic side which may be desirable for you, but if you want a fun story, then in my opinion that is it. I found that there was quite a lot of options that allowed me to really act how an agent would.

Republic side, The knight story line is interesting to play through, and also enjoyable. I'm finding the Consular one a little dull (I'm on Taris) and the trooper one seems interesting too, at least the prelude to it did If you're looking mainly for a good story line though, I'd recommend the Imperial Agent story

Hope that was a little helpful for you!
The Progenitor - The Alteric Legacy - Kira-chan

XCantaloupeX
04.23.2012 , 02:09 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ChewyYui View Post
I've played the completed the Imperial Agent story, the Jedi Knight story almost to the end, and started the Trooper and Consular story and personally i think the IA story is really good, I know its not Republic side which may be desirable for you, but if you want a fun story, then in my opinion that is it. I found that there was quite a lot of options that allowed me to really act how an agent would.

Republic side, The knight story line is interesting to play through, and also enjoyable. I'm finding the Consular one a little dull (I'm on Taris) and the trooper one seems interesting too, at least the prelude to it did If you're looking mainly for a good story line though, I'd recommend the Imperial Agent story

Hope that was a little helpful for you!
So you liked the knight story? Maybe I will run a guardian or something.. decisions decisions