Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Really Conflicted...

AliceKaye
12.17.2011 , 11:43 AM | #1
So I really never looked much into the classes until today when I made the clear mistake of rolling Sorcerer, which for whatever reason (probably pictures) I assumed was a hybrid melee/range/healer class, but is primarily range.

So, what I usually look for in games is the following:

Melee+Healer=Hybrid

Think: AoC Bear Shaman. It was my favorite class of all time.

However, after reading many descriptions, I'm not sure anything actually fits that.

I don't want a ranged caster class, because I really blow at them, but I'm not sure how the BH and IA really play so I can't comment on that. I suck at tanking, so it's melee-dps all the way or maybe trying out one of the BH/IA's. I thought Assassin was rogue-ish, but then it says tank and most people talk about the tanking part and I really want to avoid having to tank anything.

The question, I guess, is aside from Marauder, is there really anything else that is melee dps?

Oh, and I'm going Sith - that's where all my friends are.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ashnazg
12.17.2011 , 12:06 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AliceKaye View Post
So I really never looked much into the classes until today when I made the clear mistake of rolling Sorcerer, which for whatever reason (probably pictures) I assumed was a hybrid melee/range/healer class, but is primarily range.

So, what I usually look for in games is the following:

Melee+Healer=Hybrid

Think: AoC Bear Shaman. It was my favorite class of all time.

However, after reading many descriptions, I'm not sure anything actually fits that.

I don't want a ranged caster class, because I really blow at them, but I'm not sure how the BH and IA really play so I can't comment on that. I suck at tanking, so it's melee-dps all the way or maybe trying out one of the BH/IA's. I thought Assassin was rogue-ish, but then it says tank and most people talk about the tanking part and I really want to avoid having to tank anything.

The question, I guess, is aside from Marauder, is there really anything else that is melee dps?

Oh, and I'm going Sith - that's where all my friends are.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
It looks like you are familiar with games in general, what in the world would lead you to assume that a class called Sorcerer is anything BUT a ranged class?

But for melee dps, you have assassins (deception or madness, I guess, spec trees) or operatives (their melee spec tree).

AliceKaye
12.17.2011 , 12:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
It looks like you are familiar with games in general, what in the world would lead you to assume that a class called Sorcerer is anything BUT a ranged class?

But for melee dps, you have assassins (deception or madness, I guess, spec trees) or operatives (their melee spec tree).
To be honest, I wish I knew. I wasn't really thinking about it and since the Inquisitor itself was melee/ranged hybrid for base, I figured that the sorcerer would follow suit. Hell, I had a lightsaber!

Stencils
12.17.2011 , 12:12 PM | #4
Sounds to me like operative is the class for you.

Shandarin
12.17.2011 , 01:13 PM | #5
Coming from WoW playing a caster class, it was an easy transition for me to play my Jedi Sage (a carbon copy of the Sith Sorcerer). What it amounts to is knowing what you're going to focus on after you choose your advanced class. The talent trees that you see will adjust accordingly to your focus and every talent you select will buff the abilities you use the most (whether dps or healing). I'm not trying to sound condescending about the talent trees, but did you look and see what was available, and did you select the right talents? You may also have to keep in mind that as you progress up in level, it gets better. It might help reading about what others have to say about playing a Sith Sorcerer, so that their tips and tricks advice can enrich your own playstyle.

AliceKaye
12.17.2011 , 01:22 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shandarin View Post
Coming from WoW playing a caster class, it was an easy transition for me to play my Jedi Sage (a carbon copy of the Sith Sorcerer). What it amounts to is knowing what you're going to focus on after you choose your advanced class. The talent trees that you see will adjust accordingly to your focus and every talent you select will buff the abilities you use the most (whether dps or healing). I'm not trying to sound condescending about the talent trees, but did you look and see what was available, and did you select the right talents? You may also have to keep in mind that as you progress up in level, it gets better. It might help reading about what others have to say about playing a Sith Sorcerer, so that their tips and tricks advice can enrich your own playstyle.
I have, now, 39 MMO's under my belt so I can assure you I am not new to the MMO-world. That being said I can also assure you that I am not a fan of caster classes. I just hate the casting time and all of that. It's not my thing. It was clearly a poor decision for me, someone who really just detests casting as a whole, to have gone sorcerer.

I know that classes get better as they level and more points are put into the talent tree, but nothing is going to make the casting really go away, so it's just not for me.

Thus, I have created this thread which could have probably been better written had I not been anxious to get back in game and try to figure out what class I wanted to be.

Currently I'm trying out Bounty Hunter. It's interesting and very different from most MMO-classes which is nice. I guess since this isn't your run-of-the-mill fantasy game that we've been playing through the last ten or so years, I'm just going to have to keep rolling and re-rolling until I find the thing that fits.

Stencils
12.17.2011 , 03:44 PM | #7
Really though, if you are looking for something that gives you both melee and the ability to heal, you should think about rolling up an IA Operative.