The end of the arguement. Is SWTOR in decline? Can it be saved?

Sheff

Just saw this on CVG.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/343845/ea-poor-battlefield-3-old-republic-performance-result-in-layoffs/

"and Star Wars: The Old Republic, which received similar treatment and has supposedly already seen subscription numbers decline, are big contributing factors to the cuts."

http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

This one is a bit more in depth.

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-02-02/markets/31029084_1_ea-shares-earnings-report-unit-sales

This seems to be more focused on the stock from EA and seems to lean both ways.

It seems EA have had a poor financial year due to BF3 and SWTOR.

I have found this on several other sites, it seems to be reliable.

I don't want to start a flame war or an "I told you so" thread. Instead, I was wondering what people would like to see to maybe improve the player base.

I am one of the people that is on the fence, I have around 90 days or so left on my sub but am, as of yet, not convinced to renew it.

Following the new "world event" (which I though was good mostly) maybe this is the way forward?

So lets hear it, what would it take (for those that aren't sure or maybe have already cancelled) to bring you back?

For those that are already commited, what more things would you like improved or added?

Lets try and keep it on track and pleasant ok?

Ok, weigh in.

Edited by Sheff

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just canceled, no reason just boredom from lack of anyone else I know still having a subscription.

And even when we did play the game together we didnt actually do anything together. The game encourages you to play solo. I am not running around an MMO anymore wasting hours trying to find a healer exc exc.

"The site claims Battlefield 3, which it spent $30 million marketing and only generated $13 million from, and Star Wars: The Old Republic, which received similar treatment and has supposedly already seen subscription numbers decline"

Eh, I don't claim that subs haven't dropped, but nobody has numbers. At least some figures were provided for BF3.

Gotta love rumor and innuendo posted as fact. "Supposedly already seen" =! already seen.

But keep believing what you want.

Nobody called it fact, simply a reliable source. The oldest gaming publication in the world always has my ear.

But I wasn't taking either side. No need to be uptight.

Yeah this is shoddy writing at its finest. There is no actual cited facts anywhere to be found.

Think about what probably actually happened here. TOR is launched. A lot of the building process for the game is over. How many jobs have become redundant now that the ship is sailing?

You don't need a team of network architects after you've implemented your system. You just need a couple people to run it at that point.

Of course it is declining, if you don't see it, you are straight up ignorant. If anyone was here at release, the servers were all at FULL capacity, now they have trouble breaking LIGHT capacity. Just remember, you'll always have the Star Wars movies, it'll help ease the pain of losing this from your life.

<--Honesty

Of course it is declining, if you don't see it, you are straight up ignorant. If anyone was here at release, the servers were all at FULL capacity, now they have trouble breaking LIGHT capacity. Just remember, you'll always have the Star Wars movies, it'll help ease the pain of losing this from your life.

<--Honesty

Agreed with this guy. Our server was a Heavy population server, with a very big PvP population. Since PvP has steadily gotten worse and worse, the server is dwindling. Guilds went from 50-100 people to 10ish in about one month. It was really noticeable at the beginning of February, but now it just seems empty.

Nobody called it fact, simply a reliable source. The oldest gaming publication in the world always has my ear.

The CVG article merely parrots and cites the startupgrind blog entry, which, if I read it correctly, is written by a former employee. The marketwatch article is old. It is a commentary on the 3Q 2012 earnings call, which was held February 1.

Yep, This, Rift, Aion, WoW, DCUO, Eve Online, Diablo 3 and Planetside 2 are all dying - I realise two haven't been released yet but I promise you they're already dying.

Simply this.

I can laugh myself to sleep with all these forum trolls stating the game is dying.

Simply put this game is nowhere near dying, it has a very healthy population, they just need to consolidate it, Every Friday night in the EU you will have standard replace the light status on 50% of those 'light' servers, meaning a minimum of 350 people are playing on that server.

Dying, lol go try Warhammer Online and get back to me.

All numbers and articles aside. I know what it is that I see IN-GAME, and that's nobody. The other day I logged in at peak and I was the only Imp on Tatooine. How is that possible??? The best part of the game are the flashpoints and group content not that you would know it because you can never get groups in this game. In any case, the funniest part of the article is how much everyone hates EA. All that nickle and diming their customer base finally caught up with them.

<--Honesty

I have a tank full of water that is full to capacity. I alter the dimensions, thereby potentially allowing more water to be put in the tank. It is no longer full and yet there is the same amount of water in there.

Regardless of how i alter the dimensions in this analogy, do you see how your logic is flawed?

This game just simply isn't WoW enough for a lot of people on these forums.

It isn't WoW enough for some people.

It's too WoW for others.

And apparently no one has noticed that it's a computer game, and that it is what it is.

I'm waiting for the first expansion to render a judgement on where it's going.

Vanilla is Mickey Mouse.

I just canceled this weekend. The game has problems, but I was willing to give them a chance until I was excluded from the 30 day reward.

I actually will put up with bad customer service for a great game. I will not, however, put up with bad customer service for this game.