Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Classes, which must be nerfed [statistics] - balance issue

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Classes, which must be nerfed [statistics] - balance issue

Draak
04.14.2012 , 05:34 PM | #11
How cute.. someone thinks balance relates to the number of people playing a class.

Dabrixmgp
04.14.2012 , 08:49 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
I'd like to see these forums with 120% more scoundrel damage.

Didnt we already see this?

Dabrixmgp
04.14.2012 , 08:52 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Draak View Post
How cute.. someone thinks balance relates to the number of people playing a class.

You cant argue that isnt a correlation between least played classes and how bad or hard to play they are. OPs and scoundrels are so low because of the nerf. Also if you look at the class breakdown for WoW, using that game as example because well no other MMO has more people playing so largest sample size. Hunters/Pally top played classes cause they are easy mode. Warlocks least played (not even close) because you need 6 hands and 3 keyboards to play them properly.

hadoken
04.14.2012 , 09:04 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp View Post
You cant argue that isnt a correlation between least played classes and how bad or hard to play they are. OPs and scoundrels are so low because of the nerf. Also if you look at the class breakdown for WoW, using that game as example because well no other MMO has more people playing so largest sample size. Hunters/Pally top played classes cause they are easy mode. Warlocks least played (not even close) because you need 6 hands and 3 keyboards to play them properly.
Yea but that didn't correlate to their power. Warlocks were almost always top tier in pvp even if they were least played.

That's why it's faulty to try to base balance upon popularity. You can't know why people play what they play. Just because you play what's strong/powerful doesn't mean everyone does.

Silversable
04.15.2012 , 04:23 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
That's why it's faulty to try to base balance upon popularity. You can't know why people play what they play. Just because you play what's strong/powerful doesn't mean everyone does.
Agreed.

If you want "minimum" class balance, you must balance according to what a perfect player can do with the class.

If you want "functional" class balance, you must balance according to what a perfect player can do with the class AND what an average player can do with the class.

If you want a "good" class balance, you must have functional balance at each of the various level ranges and gear tiers.

In order to achieve that, you have to step up the automated testing quite a bit. My guesstimate is that you would need about 100k hours of simulated combat to achieve balance. Which is not that much, if you consider that the immense majority of it can be completely automated and run 24/7, pausing only to analyse the results and tune the input parameters.

The problem with balance right now is that it relies far too much on random sampling by human testers in undefined environments. In other words : you get numbers but have no idea what parameters led to those numbers. You can get parsers of static combat (target dummies), but even then you do not know the rotation used, the deviation from the perfect rotation (which *can* be simulated to model an imperfect player), and any time you want to actually know how it works in a real game environment, everything crumbles because you don't have any parameters.

Sampling is OK to find bugs after regular testing campaigns are over. But for statistical analysis, its a very poor method.

Tenacity
04.15.2012 , 04:46 AM | #16
This thread is an absolute joke.

Also, I love how you say scoundrels need 120% more damage, but operatives only need 40% more.
Akeema Lynx Mirialan Freelancer

Mithraw
04.15.2012 , 05:22 AM | #17
This is by far the dumbest thread and worst thought out idea I've read in 14 years of playing MMO games.

Congratulations Tony.
!▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▤▤▤▤▤▤▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀!

Derewen
04.15.2012 , 05:44 AM | #18
Sir, I honestly pray you do not design any of upcoming MMOs, for sake of them and for sake of PvP.
Knowledge is power.

Kavu
04.15.2012 , 05:48 AM | #19
I'd say there is a 100% chance the OP plays republic side

from Empire strikes back:
Luke : Man, I wish they'd nerf the Empire, Vader keeps whoopin' my arse in Huttball.
Han : I hear ya kid, I don't even PvP anymore!
Kritz'krieg 55 Commando Kapowy 50 guardian
Kalim' ti 50 Sentinel Kavu 55 Gunslinger
Desolation 50 Marauder

Fantazm
04.15.2012 , 05:53 AM | #20
hey...........how about no?

Absolutely crazy logic.