Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No MMO has come close to SWG's community-orientation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
No MMO has come close to SWG's community-orientation

Necronym
12.17.2011 , 10:27 AM | #21
EVE online had/has a better community orientation actually.

The best, I would say.
Reign
A mature PvP and PvE focused Empire guild on Tarentatek - PvP US East.

MandraMoody
12.17.2011 , 11:30 AM | #22
I agree with the OP's points however realistically, I can see TOR going the instanced housing route (yes I miss having a non instanced home AWAY from harvesters on Naboo and Tatooine)

I hated pre-cu(and NGE)...too many bots to compete with for mob kills esp in DWB and the like. Loved it when the CU hit and people had to actually be *gasp!* AT the keyboard in fights! Not just see mob...cue up 20+ attacks and a heal stim/food/spice macro and go eat in RL..come back and profit!

But back to the point, player housing taken to extremes (like anything else) can be a bad thing. Non instanced HOUSING on planets(not crafting stations/harvesters/junk) if done well would only give the player more immersion if they chose to take up on it. Player cities are good on paper but without a vast majority into it, becomes the ghost towns we all remember. Can't hurt anyone for BW to give an option for more player housing down the road.

It does promote player interaction in many ways especially if you could put shops in your home to house your created items or take orders for specific modded things or styles/colors of clothing...the options could be limitless if done right or at all.

sidenote: Haven't seen this mentioned yet anywhere but the skill system in pre-NGE has yet to be even remotely rivaled anywhere, I still miss that the most.
WHAT??? NO FAMBAAS????

MichBoll
12.17.2011 , 11:40 AM | #23
I do agree. I also miss the feeling of an open world in SW:ToR. In SWG you always had the feeling that you can go anywhere at anytime, no stupid rocks you can't climb.

I also liked the fact, that you had one char on a server. If you don't want to be a rifleman anymore, you can become something else, but you u are still the same guy.

SW:ToR is good, but it's another World of Warcraft and not something new.

Clinical
12.17.2011 , 12:12 PM | #24
Keep in mind guys I'm not just directing this at SW:ToR, just aiming it at all MMO's anymore. Also I'm mainly referring to SWG in its prime, most player cities actually on the map that were fully fledged were not dead at the time. Obviously during NGE when I logged on the few times I did, 95% of cities were ghost towns. Remember, SWG had few servers and enough people subbed that those few servers were usually pretty decently populated.

One thing I also loved about the player housing is the way you could make it YOUR house, no player building was alike. So many possibilities via customization of furniture/items/etc.

Now in all honesty, I don't ever see player housing in SW:ToR. I really don't.
Just directing this mostly at all MMO's these days.

Quote: Originally Posted by MandraMoody View Post

sidenote: Haven't seen this mentioned yet anywhere but the skill system in pre-NGE has yet to be even remotely rivaled anywhere, I still miss that the most.
Yeah the skill system is the best thing I've ever seen to this day.

MikHippi
12.17.2011 , 12:25 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Clinical View Post
The one thing I think every new MMO lacks is the sense of community that I loved in pre-nge SWG.

It was just a game that rewarded socializing/being part of the community, which I feel an MMO should do.

What I mean:
Actually RELYing on Crafters for goods. They mostly made the best weapons/armor.
Relying on Doctors for buffs for both PvE & PvP generally and even a new player benefitted massively from them.
Relying on Entertainers for the exact same reason.
Again, relying on crafters - they made it all, mounts, buff food, medical supplies, clothes, buildings, creatures, etc.
PvP Being real world PvP
Real Guild PvP Wars <3 <3

The best part:
PLAYER CITIES/housing/guild halls/etc

The player housing/city system was simply astounding, and they had the ability to fully function with mission terminals, factional bases, cantinas, shuttleports, med center, etc.

I don't understand why no game to this day has implemented or even tried to implement another player housing/city system like this. It was such a huge success in SWG. It just meant so much to have your 'home' in SWG. I put so much time into customizing my home and making it my home, as well as my home in my Ship.

I'm not just complaining about SW:ToR - just MMO's in general these days that are way more focused on providing PvE & PvP content that gives to the players, rather than put some focus on Players giving to Players and a strong community benefitting the game.

I have to say, if you took the average MMO player today especially from a game like WoW and put them into old SWG I can't imagine how bad it would be.. so used to rarely socializing with other players outside their own guild.

Don't get me wrong, I'm LOVING SW:ToR - basically because it's like a new WoW for me that I haven't seen decline.
Personally I feel that WoW is a great game, but it has also had 7 years of development in it now - I just feel that the content in WoW sucks and is wasting the good design WoW has. But this isn't about WoW.

Just saying I love SW: ToR - but still hope some day for another MMO to come out that rivals the community orientation SWG had.

Anyone else feel this way?
I totaly agre whit you - there is STIL no game to day that is even close to the old SWG and I totaly cant understand it ?? wy is it so hard to make a new "SWG"

BrandonSM
12.17.2011 , 12:40 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AMKSED View Post
Go play SWG then.
This(Except not in a harsh way.)

This game is not SWG, stop trying to make it like SWG, let it have its own path. This game is not SWG 2.0
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Clinical
12.17.2011 , 01:37 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
This(Except not in a harsh way.)

This game is not SWG, stop trying to make it like SWG, let it have its own path. This game is not SWG 2.0
Another person who didn't attempt to understand what I'm saying at all.
I love TOR, I was simply directing this at all MMO's. I never said this was SWG 2.0 - I really don't want that grinding/queue combat system back.

I was just saying how community oriented a game like SWG was and how little the MMO's of today rely on community.

Cegenaus
12.17.2011 , 02:00 PM | #28
good post op, ive been trying to make this type of point for months. swg had some great ideas, better than any mmo ive ever seen. its demise was not these ideas but how they were handled and if you dont think so go take a look at dco.
Cegenaus/Xyrin/Ixor/Domz
Merc/Sorc/Mara/Jugg

Vortex Reborn/Das Ubel- Terentatek

BrandonSM
12.17.2011 , 02:06 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Clinical View Post
Another person who didn't attempt to understand what I'm saying at all.
I love TOR, I was simply directing this at all MMO's. I never said this was SWG 2.0 - I really don't want that grinding/queue combat system back.

I was just saying how community oriented a game like SWG was and how little the MMO's of today rely on community.
Well I wasn't directing neccesarily directing my comment at you. But allot of people(Some that have commented on this thread) have asked for TOR to be like SWG. And I just hate it...
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

courtsdad
12.17.2011 , 04:22 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Cegenaus View Post
good post op, ive been trying to make this type of point for months. swg had some great ideas, better than any mmo ive ever seen. its demise was not these ideas but how they were handled and if you dont think so go take a look at dco. i cant wait for the emu to be finished
Well said and I am with you.

At the current rate SWG was several decades ahead of its time. Its too bad that SOE and LA dropped the ball so badly. We seem to be going backwards if anything. It had flaws but most of those were due to bad leadership.