Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No MMO has come close to SWG's community-orientation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
No MMO has come close to SWG's community-orientation

Clinical
12.16.2011 , 10:32 PM | #1
The one thing I think every new MMO lacks is the sense of community that I loved in pre-nge SWG.

It was just a game that rewarded socializing/being part of the community, which I feel an MMO should do.

What I mean:
Actually RELYing on Crafters for goods. They mostly made the best weapons/armor.
Relying on Doctors for buffs for both PvE & PvP generally and even a new player benefitted massively from them.
Relying on Entertainers for the exact same reason.
Again, relying on crafters - they made it all, mounts, buff food, medical supplies, clothes, buildings, creatures, etc.
PvP Being real world PvP
Real Guild PvP Wars <3 <3

The best part:
PLAYER CITIES/housing/guild halls/etc

The player housing/city system was simply astounding, and they had the ability to fully function with mission terminals, factional bases, cantinas, shuttleports, med center, etc.

I don't understand why no game to this day has implemented or even tried to implement another player housing/city system like this. It was such a huge success in SWG. It just meant so much to have your 'home' in SWG. I put so much time into customizing my home and making it my home, as well as my home in my Ship.

I'm not just complaining about SW:ToR - just MMO's in general these days that are way more focused on providing PvE & PvP content that gives to the players, rather than put some focus on Players giving to Players and a strong community benefitting the game.

I have to say, if you took the average MMO player today especially from a game like WoW and put them into old SWG I can't imagine how bad it would be.. so used to rarely socializing with other players outside their own guild.

Don't get me wrong, I'm LOVING SW:ToR - basically because it's like a new WoW for me that I haven't seen decline.
Personally I feel that WoW is a great game, but it has also had 7 years of development in it now - I just feel that the content in WoW sucks and is wasting the good design WoW has. But this isn't about WoW.

Just saying I love SW: ToR - but still hope some day for another MMO to come out that rivals the community orientation SWG had.

Anyone else feel this way?

SyzzleeBoomBoom
12.16.2011 , 11:33 PM | #2
I have to agree with you on many of your points. I was in SWG near it's beginning and after the great exodus from SWG, I've never seen that kind of comradery in any MMO since then.

I thought just crossed my mind while I was writing this though... if SWG is like Star Wars: A New Hope and SWTOR is like The Empire Strikes Back, I think we're going to be having ALOT of fun for quite a long time
Syzzlee Boom-Boom, Syzzlee Boom-Boom SWG Ahazi

AMKSED
12.16.2011 , 11:40 PM | #3
Go play SWG then.

Sharkk_Vantis
12.16.2011 , 11:48 PM | #4
RIP SWG

It went out not with a bang, but with a whimper.
GALACTIC MERCENARIES
========= Sharkk & Drexyl ============

Clinical
12.17.2011 , 12:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AMKSED View Post
Go play SWG then.
Thanks for proving you can't read. This wasn't a thread saying Sw:ToR is bad.

CHRISGG
12.17.2011 , 12:10 AM | #6
The best part:

To do the actual gameplay content, all you needed was to get buffs from a bot and then mash 1 button. No group required.

Rose tinted glasses.
AKA Faction
50 Sage, Wound in the Force
Check out my YouTube channel, tons of SW:TOR videos!

MistwraithTE
12.17.2011 , 12:31 AM | #7
I concur with the original post. Well done.

Mistwraith
"Intel I5-2500K 3.30 GHZ, Asetek 510LC Water Cooling, 60GB SSD, 500 GB Sata III, 1,000W PSU, EVGA GTX560TI 1GB x 2 @ SLI Mode, Corsair 8GB 1600 XMS Memory x 2"

"fors favet animus paratus"

Coolcutter
12.17.2011 , 12:35 AM | #8
He's not saying anything about the combat system at all...
For all SWGs faults (it had many) it did have the right idea about many things, and I really do agree with OP on all of these points...

Getting a perfect jawa ion rifle crafted was as much a social thing as it was a PvE thing, and I remember the preparations before a city raid, or planning ambushes to take down a dark jedi
I know the rest aim high, I try to aim it higher

Clinical
12.17.2011 , 12:36 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CHRISGG View Post
The best part:

To do the actual gameplay content, all you needed was to get buffs from a bot and then mash 1 button. No group required.

Rose tinted glasses.
You completely missed my point as well.
I didn't say the grinding was great, I'm talking about the COMMUNITY.

I swear if you aren't going to read the entire post in a topic like this, why respond?

Benk
12.17.2011 , 12:57 AM | #10
Success is measured by subs aka dollar signs. While Galaxies brought something back into the MMO market (sorry but UO had the first player houses that were not kept in a separate instance), the small amount of subs the game had overall showed that this was NOT what the majority of players wanted. And when I say small, small compared to what EQ had during its peak.

The problem I had with the player housing and cities, it was a eye sore on the landscape. Nothing like running around and seeing harvesters everywhere. Even though I played that game for awhile, I never owned a house and actually farmed for my mats for crafting. Housing just never influenced me on how a game community is. How the players treat each other and whether they are civilized on the forums while debating certain game mechanics plays a much larger role to me for a game community. 90% of the time if the forums are respectable and civil in tone, the players in game help each other out.

As for buffs, if you consider an entertainer, who were 99% of the time afk, as a key community point, thanks but no thanks. Afk macro players does not make a good community; it just makes somebody gain a master profession while they're at work and nowhere near.

You also didn't seem to play EQ. When PoP came out, PoT was where EVERYBODY was at and buffs were always going out and believe me, everybody wanted buffs; during vanilla EQ, it was the EC tunnels which also served as the bazaar/auction house. All in all, as someone who has played both EQ and SWG, both their communities were the preferred communities in MMO's and not the cesspool we have gotten with the recent games, prime example WoW.