Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Meetra Surik(The Exile) Cooler than revan IMO

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Meetra Surik(The Exile) Cooler than revan IMO

Rayla_Felana
04.08.2012 , 02:25 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by darthkargtor View Post
No he didn't he did it because she was the ghost we saw in the flashpoint video long before the book was announced he had to explain why she was there through it could of been done differently this was the fastest way of doing it while giving her death meaning and establishing scourges back story.
I see you completely misinterpreted my point, the way in which he killed her off was an absolute spit in the face of KotOR II and everything/everyone to do with it.

Raiellyn
04.08.2012 , 02:35 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
I see you completely misinterpreted my point, the way in which he killed her off was an absolute spit in the face of KotOR II and everything/everyone to do with it.
Revan-book spoilers!

Spoiler

Yep. Sounds legit to me. /sarcasm

We'll miss you, Surik. <3 Just because Bioware hated you doesn't mean we did!
Because I'm the hero this forum deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll insult me, because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a vocal critic, a watchful commenter. A Snark Knight.

Rayla_Felana
04.08.2012 , 03:03 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Raiellyn View Post
Revan-book spoilers!

Spoiler

Yep. Sounds legit to me. /sarcasm

We'll miss you, Surik. <3 Just because Bioware hated you doesn't mean we did!
Precisely, it was idiotic and Karpyshyn clearly knew nothing about the Exile.

He took the Jedi that rebuilt the Order, wiped out the Trayus Academy single-handedly and was the new face of the Jedi Order, and turned her into a joke, a side-kick for Revan, even though the point of KotOR II was her moving on from being just the side-kick to full-blown Jedi Master, she had finally come into her own as a Force User.

Culminating in her annihilating the remnants of the Sith at the Trayus Academy, outwitting Sion with an exclusively Dark Side technique, Dun Moch and harnessing Sever Force on Traya in the Trayus Core.

Did we see anything that Surik had just done in KotOR II? no.

Did Karpyshyn come out with the excuse 'There isn't any canon for the Exile so I decided to fit her into my story the way I thought she should be'(His own words from his own blog) which is clearly wrong? yes.

Raiellyn
04.08.2012 , 10:05 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Precisely, it was idiotic and Karpyshyn clearly knew nothing about the Exile.

He took the Jedi that rebuilt the Order, wiped out the Trayus Academy single-handedly and was the new face of the Jedi Order, and turned her into a joke, a side-kick for Revan, even though the point of KotOR II was her moving on from being just the side-kick to full-blown Jedi Master, she had finally come into her own as a Force User.

Culminating in her annihilating the remnants of the Sith at the Trayus Academy, outwitting Sion with an exclusively Dark Side technique, Dun Moch and harnessing Sever Force on Traya in the Trayus Core.

Did we see anything that Surik had just done in KotOR II? no.

Did Karpyshyn come out with the excuse 'There isn't any canon for the Exile so I decided to fit her into my story the way I thought she should be'(His own words from his own blog) which is clearly wrong? yes.
... Ugh, it sounds even worse when you phrase it out like that.

If Bioware didn't want to use the plot-lines from 2 all that much, I think that's fair, considering they weren't the ones who wrote it and therefore shouldn't have to abide by it. But opting to include the pivotal character just to downgrade her to side-kick status (effectively a retcon for all of her development through KotOR 2... ) and then *SPOILERS. AGAIN.*

Spoiler

I think I'm going to go be sad now.
Because I'm the hero this forum deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll insult me, because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a vocal critic, a watchful commenter. A Snark Knight.

Captain_Zone
04.08.2012 , 10:42 AM | #15
And the final slap in the face in TOR was that nobody even called her by her name....

Not even Revan told you her name. What is up with that??? I mean, there's even a convo choice after the Jedi Prisoner FP is over to ask "Who is she?" and Revan just says something like "An old friend".

Ok, I'll admit to being a Revan fan, and Jeff Bennett did a great job as always, but COME ON! I think Karpyshyn was just pissed that Avellone outdid him on story.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Rayla_Felana
04.08.2012 , 10:49 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Raiellyn View Post
... Ugh, it sounds even worse when you phrase it out like that.

If Bioware didn't want to use the plot-lines from 2 all that much, I think that's fair, considering they weren't the ones who wrote it and therefore shouldn't have to abide by it. But opting to include the pivotal character just to downgrade her to side-kick status (effectively a retcon for all of her development through KotOR 2... ) and then *SPOILERS. AGAIN.*

Spoiler

I think I'm going to go be sad now.
Precisely, but then again, Drew would do absolutely anything to get Revan in the spotlight.

Temperentia
04.08.2012 , 03:08 PM | #17
This is probably where I alienate half the forum, but I'm one of those people who adores KotorII and thinks kotorI is just 'okay'. That includes the protagonists.

I get that Revan is supposedly the most awesome special not-Jedi ever... but itsn't this a bit too much now? He has a cult, the Emperor of the Sith wanted him as a power source, he's revered years after his death... I just think it's too much. Sure his story was kind of interesting... but that's it. After the 'OMG twist' Revan himself was kinda bland I thought. Not to mention the constant flip-flop on his motives wore me out. He's not omniscient, can we stop acting like he is?

...Sorry, I went off a bit there. I don't hate Revan, he just irritates me a bit.

The Exile (I refuse to call her Meetra ._. ) on the other hand, was so interesting! A Jedi who had to learn to survive without the Force, who was an actual wound in said Force. Who didn't blindly follow the council yet resisted the pull of the dark side. She reminds me of the great grey Jedi. Bindo. Vergere. The ones who don't get hung up on lightside versus darkside to the pont of blindness.

But then I liked that your crew in K2 wasn't all happy-fun sunshine either. they actually had tiffs and interactions with each other.

Rayla_Felana
04.08.2012 , 03:31 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Temperentia View Post
This is probably where I alienate half the forum, but I'm one of those people who adores KotorII and thinks kotorI is just 'okay'. That includes the protagonists.

I get that Revan is supposedly the most awesome special not-Jedi ever... but itsn't this a bit too much now? He has a cult, the Emperor of the Sith wanted him as a power source, he's revered years after his death... I just think it's too much. Sure his story was kind of interesting... but that's it. After the 'OMG twist' Revan himself was kinda bland I thought. Not to mention the constant flip-flop on his motives wore me out. He's not omniscient, can we stop acting like he is?

...Sorry, I went off a bit there. I don't hate Revan, he just irritates me a bit.

The Exile (I refuse to call her Meetra ._. ) on the other hand, was so interesting! A Jedi who had to learn to survive without the Force, who was an actual wound in said Force. Who didn't blindly follow the council yet resisted the pull of the dark side. She reminds me of the great grey Jedi. Bindo. Vergere. The ones who don't get hung up on lightside versus darkside to the pont of blindness.

But then I liked that your crew in K2 wasn't all happy-fun sunshine either. they actually had tiffs and interactions with each other.
Amen to that.

Captain_Zone
04.08.2012 , 03:53 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Temperentia View Post

^Agreed. If Avellone and the rest of the KotOR II team had been given the time, KotOR II would be the game everyone says is the best. Unfortunately, they weren't given the time they needed to fully flesh out the game's story and mechanics.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

OldVengeance
04.08.2012 , 04:23 PM | #20
If you think Revan is too special that it becomes silly, why isn't the same true for the exile? The Exile is even more "special". They Exile was quite literally the one person that somehow was immune to Nihiuls ridiculous planet eating power and the somewhat goofy idea that he or she survived without the force makes them more unique than Revan's goofy idea of mastering both sides of the force.

If Revan is too special then The Exile is waaaaay too special.