Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Married Men, is it really that bad to be a hardcore game and have a wife?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Married Men, is it really that bad to be a hardcore game and have a wife?

Vandrel-Blitz
12.16.2011 , 11:15 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Hylion View Post
Have you ever been in a successful relationship with a woman?
lol....
Electric Mayhem (click for more details)
SWTOR - The Shadowlands - US East - PVE - Empire Guild

Elloa
12.17.2011 , 04:52 AM | #22
Without sharing all my life, I can tell that woman gamers can also be the "victim" of the unhappy man with whom they are not sharing enough time. The countrary is obviously more common, but it's not a question of woman VS man. It's a question of non gamer VS gamer.

It's important to share time together, and to show to the other that he/she is important. What's the point of beeing together or married, if this person is just neglectable. And if one in the couple have to do all boring things (work and win money, clean,do duties) it's not fair. Everyone must agree with that I suppose. Sharing boring stuff together, sharing nice moment together, and have your own free time to do what you want. If those 3 things are balanced, I think it should not cause too much problems. Both part need to make an eefort. There is never one who is completly wrong
Master Liy Elloa * Whtestar *
Lord Calypho Eu

Vido Serie : Imperial Agent Elloa

jediknightReece
12.17.2011 , 05:00 AM | #23
My wife has no problem with my playing its only an issue when she wants to "wrestle" and I usually alt f4 right away anyway.....Sorry to those I left but....come on.
What? Just inspecting the troops.

Ptew Ptew.......Gotcha.

Birth of the forum troll

Traugar
12.17.2011 , 05:04 AM | #24
Well OP it's simple. There are more male gamers than female. So more than likely the man is married to someone who doesn't play video games. This means they aren't one of the understanding "Let's play games together" types. And those men realize that their wife/marriage is more important than a video so they play on a schedule that their wife accepts.

WerniesSturm
12.17.2011 , 05:16 AM | #25
The wife is not the problem, she knows that Im playing, I do so mostly when shes at work and somewhere in the evening.

The real problem is ( or isnt actually ) that I have a 13 month old son who needs attention and dipers changed and so on.

I will however, not enter a group if Im not 100% sure that I wont be disturbed.

For those who suddenly leave because they wives come home, cant you just talk? Cant you just say I need 15 more minutes, then Ill be there ?

On the other hand, marriage always comes first, so if she would ask me to stop, we got other things to do I will do so in an instant.

And before I start playing , I make sure the things are done that need to be done, like cleaning the house etc.

Youre asking for problems if you leave the house dirty and just play your game ignoring your duties as a husband and father.

sabreene
12.17.2011 , 07:46 AM | #26
I would also like to throw in that women are more likely to be interrupted in little bits, instead of in one fell swoop. I know I get constantly interrupted, and am always aware of things I need to get done. I'm lucky if I get 20 mins of uninterrupted time, and worry with every group I go into. Tonight I did Esseles, and everyone was miffed it took so long and they didn't have dinner when they wanted it. But no one *made* me get off, they just hovered.

Guys seem to be able to go off and get a long span of uninterrupted time where they're not thinking of anything else but the game. But when they're shocked out of that time, they realize how much they haven't done that they need to! Also, the guys I know are one track minds. So it would be GAME GAME GAME GAME. OH GOD WIFE. WIFE. WIFE. WIFE. The transition between the two is abrupt, because their focus shift is abrupt.

Also, I agree with everyone else above. It depends on communication in the relationship, and what the status of games are to each individual. My bf thinks it's a timesink, but then he likes to go out to the garage and weld things together. He has his toys, I have mine!

kcirevamnalyd
12.17.2011 , 07:54 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by skolos View Post
My wife and I have playing games together for 10 years together been married for 14. She figured if she couldnt beat it out of me she would join me.
Married for 18 years, wife does not game but still likes to watch me and our son play. If we need refreshment she is always willing to bake cookies or make a run to the store for supplies.

Lunadreams
12.17.2011 , 08:54 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Elloa View Post
it's not a question of woman VS man. It's a question of non gamer VS gamer.
Yup agreed!

Moral of the story: Find partners that share your interests or encourage the ones you have to participate in yours. Happy partners = more gaming time and isn't that what every gamer in life wants?

akavari
12.17.2011 , 10:50 AM | #29
While i am not married myself one of my friends is and getting him online to actually play is a miracle in and of itself. Last night he got on for maybe 30 minutes then we could hear his wife in the background saying something and he told us he had to run out and would be back in an hour. 3 hours later he still wasn't back and this is the guy that's wanting to tank for us.

It most likely different for everyone though.

Derel
12.17.2011 , 11:32 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by WerniesSturm View Post
The wife is not the problem, she knows that Im playing, I do so mostly when shes at work and somewhere in the evening.

The real problem is ( or isnt actually ) that I have a 13 month old son who needs attention and dipers changed and so on.

I will however, not enter a group if Im not 100% sure that I wont be disturbed.

For those who suddenly leave because they wives come home, cant you just talk? Cant you just say I need 15 more minutes, then Ill be there ?

On the other hand, marriage always comes first, so if she would ask me to stop, we got other things to do I will do so in an instant.

And before I start playing , I make sure the things are done that need to be done, like cleaning the house etc.

Youre asking for problems if you leave the house dirty and just play your game ignoring your duties as a husband and father.
I'm similar to this. I've got a 12 month old daughter that relies on me when my wife is away, which is often due to our crazy schedules. I don't group during times I know I can be pulled away easily. Pretty much my focused gaming occurs after the baby goes down for the night and I've had some time with the wife. After that she know that it is my game time and respects it.

That said, I have experienced wife aggro where I was in the middle of something and had to jump off quickly. The game will still be there in 20 minutes. Best to make her happy then get back on.