Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sooo why be a tank again?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sooo why be a tank again?

KryptikX
03.31.2012 , 05:56 PM | #11
Hrm.. i almost never see anyone calling for dps on general. they are always asking for tank+healer.
Adapt or Die

Tetrablade
03.31.2012 , 05:59 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by KryptikX View Post
Hrm.. i almost never see anyone calling for dps on general. they are always asking for tank+healer.
Then maybe I should look into re-rolling on something off Bondar Crystal.
There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap.....Me. -The Doctor

TheBBP
03.31.2012 , 06:01 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tetrablade View Post
I just hit 39 as a vanguard when I realized something.
That is the part where you should have not made any assumptions about end game and the needs for end game.

DecanAndersen
03.31.2012 , 06:01 PM | #14
Agree with most reply's here.
All i see on our server, is this: LF1M, Tank, Ready to go!
On top of that, everyone is behind you in a fight.
You lead the attack, no one attacks before you attack.
All are looking at your health besides their own, cause if you go down, they go down next.
So if your going to be tank, make sure your the leader type for fps and ops.
Tanks are very very important at lvl 50, and you will love it, i guaranty it.

Best of luck, The Sentinal DPS

Dayfax
03.31.2012 , 06:01 PM | #15
That's always been the case?

There's no "career path" for tanks, unless you're running your own guild or an officer in one (because those are usually the people taking the MT slot).
"Sounds like you could use a soldier."

Processj
03.31.2012 , 06:02 PM | #16
Because tanking is imo the most fun. And I think most other perma tanks think the same thing!

Tetrablade
03.31.2012 , 06:09 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
That is the part where you should have not made any assumptions about end game and the needs for end game.
Please look a little further down, I said I have a 50 smuggler.
There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap.....Me. -The Doctor

Jandi
03.31.2012 , 06:10 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayfax View Post
That's always been the case?

There's no "career path" for tanks, unless you're running your own guild or an officer in one (because those are usually the people taking the MT slot).
The reason they take those slots is because they are reliable people. They wouldn't be officers otherwise unless you're in some random kiddy guild that AOE invites people and hands out officer positions to people with cool names. Also because officers are usually good people who know their stuff. You want a tank to be a good, reliable player because finding a replacement can be really hard and the raid depends on a tank that isn't incompetent.

Dayfax
03.31.2012 , 08:34 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
The reason they take those slots is because they are reliable people. They wouldn't be officers otherwise unless you're in some random kiddy guild that AOE invites people and hands out officer positions to people with cool names. Also because officers are usually good people who know their stuff. You want a tank to be a good, reliable player because finding a replacement can be really hard and the raid depends on a tank that isn't incompetent.
Absolutely. I'm not complaining or disputing that.

But if you're just an average Joe on the server and want to tank, there are very few options for you.

In WoW, I had pretty much had the same experience as the OP. Rolled a warrior with the intention of tanking, then very quickly realize my endgame options were much more narrow than DPS or healers.

But that's the game. There's no way to fix that unless Bioware or Blizzard decide on radically different encounter designs for an entire tier or more.
"Sounds like you could use a soldier."

MidichIorian
03.31.2012 , 08:48 PM | #20
People are always looking for tanks on my server so your server is either dead on the PvE side or it's simply a matter of you not playing end-game yet. There's really no need for tanks in FP'es pre-50 but they're highly sought after at 50.