Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do other Primary Stats benefit your character?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Do other Primary Stats benefit your character?

PinkDaisy
12.16.2011 , 06:32 PM | #1
Does Strength do anything for a Jedi Consular whatsoever? Or does Strength strictly benefit the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior?

This matters for example with Datacrons. Should I bother to pick up a +2 Willpower Datacron if my class is the Smuggler?

I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this and the in game tooltips aren't 100% clear.

Lalluna
12.16.2011 , 08:33 PM | #2
As far as I can tell Str will give the same damage and crit (etc) as the same amount of Will. However, you gain no addition to the damage of force and force crit with Str.

In other words, stick to Will.
Lalluna & Lunix
1020 0367

Eternalnight
12.16.2011 , 08:46 PM | #3
Jedi consular does gain some benefit to their melee attacks from strength and they have some melee attacks so they do benefit a little bit from it, but only for their melee attacks while willpower for Jedi Consular/Sith Inquisitor does benefit actually both their melee damage and force power damage, it is certainly not worth using strength gear if willpower item is available for the same slot. Not worth using even if the strength item had higher stats, but if you had nothing at all for that slot before, then you could benefit from it.

Sogrin
12.16.2011 , 09:59 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by PinkDaisy View Post
Does Strength do anything for a Jedi Consular whatsoever? Or does Strength strictly benefit the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior?

This matters for example with Datacrons. Should I bother to pick up a +2 Willpower Datacron if my class is the Smuggler?

I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this and the in game tooltips aren't 100% clear.
in your example, no there is no benifit.

smug/IA = cunning
troop/BH = aim

JK/SW = strength
JC/SI = willpower

For each pairing above, you can use the stat from the other pair, however it will only give a partial benefit, and is not reccomended unless the other choice is nothing.

ie, a smuggler using the AIM stat, only gets ranged damage, and not ranged and tech damage, which they get from cunning. A smuggler using strenght or willpower gets nothing useful (afaik)

PinkDaisy
12.17.2011 , 12:47 AM | #5
I'm still not convinced a Consular will benefit from Strength for his melee attacks. I think only Willpower affects his Force or melee damage.

And likewise for all other classes: they only benefit from their Primary Stat and Endurance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

AstralFire
12.17.2011 , 01:44 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by PinkDaisy View Post
I'm still not convinced a Consular will benefit from Strength for his melee attacks. I think only Willpower affects his Force or melee damage.

And likewise for all other classes: they only benefit from their Primary Stat and Endurance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong.
JEDI SHADOW

You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

MBirkhofer
12.17.2011 , 07:46 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
Jedi consular does gain some benefit to their melee attacks from strength and they have some melee attacks so they do benefit a little bit from it, but only for their melee attacks while willpower for Jedi Consular/Sith Inquisitor does benefit actually both their melee damage and force power damage, it is certainly not worth using strength gear if willpower item is available for the same slot. Not worth using even if the strength item had higher stats, but if you had nothing at all for that slot before, then you could benefit from it.
This^.

A classes "primary" stat basically buffs everything for them across the board.
But each stat does have a base effect that will effect that might be of use to a class as well.

A jedi knight for example. STr is primary. And they get melee damage, force power, and crit from it.
Will gives force power. so Will will give +damage to force attacks like blade storm, ataru, force sweep, stasis, etc.

Roda
12.17.2011 , 09:46 AM | #8
We had a discussion thread about this exact subject in the Sith Assassin forums.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=33754

Based on the results of that thread, I say that you should ALWAYS focus on your primary stat. While you might get minimal benefits to your melee damage from Strength on your Consular, you'll get far more benefits from Willpower since it buffs your melee damage and force damage.