Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Truly Massive MMO

Borobob
03.20.2012 , 08:45 AM | #1
I don't think I'm an experience gamer by many standards. SWTOR and LOTRO being my only mmo's in 5 years. Long story short... my favourite part of the MMO's was being in areas thriving with other players. There was a time in lotro when dev run bosses showed up randomly in world and 120 people would show up to take her on. In both SWTOR and LOTRO, when those types of numbers showed up in the same place, there is a general server meltdown and the area becomes unplayable (downer).

So my question for the technologically inclined. How far are we from a truly massive MMO? How long til technology allows games to run fluently with 10,000 people experiencing content side by side? (maybe an exaggeration... I'll take 200 at this point :P). In people's experience, what is the current "densest" mmo that's available?

Harleyz
03.20.2012 , 08:50 AM | #2
Alterac valley sure was ahead of its time. 80 people and it ran fine. Warhammer tried years later, didnt suceed. Now Ilum...but yeah how long....

Oh alterac valley was in wow. Just read u hadnt played it.

TheOnlyKyrenS
03.20.2012 , 08:52 AM | #3
I hope they are able to fix the engine soon. After my sub runs out in May, I might go back to WoW just for the massive battles but will come back when the engine is fixed.
Quote: Originally Posted by corbanite View Post
oh great more constructive criticism.. god knows why some people think there are haters on this forum

Zannis
03.20.2012 , 08:56 AM | #4
There are 2 limits to what you propose. Bandwidth and Hardware.

The more communication between the servers and various clients, the more bandwidth needed. The hardware on the client side would have to be able to render so many objects.

I don't see it happening. While hardware will keep improving at a decent rate, the bandwidth available to most people is much harder to improve on. I've given up hope of Fios ever becoming available in my area.

Lord_Ravenhurst
03.20.2012 , 08:58 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Borobob View Post
I don't think I'm an experience gamer by many standards. SWTOR and LOTRO being my only mmo's in 5 years. Long story short... my favourite part of the MMO's was being in areas thriving with other players. There was a time in lotro when dev run bosses showed up randomly in world and 120 people would show up to take her on. In both SWTOR and LOTRO, when those types of numbers showed up in the same place, there is a general server meltdown and the area becomes unplayable (downer).

So my question for the technologically inclined. How far are we from a truly massive MMO? How long til technology allows games to run fluently with 10,000 people experiencing content side by side? (maybe an exaggeration... I'll take 200 at this point :P). In people's experience, what is the current "densest" mmo that's available?
The only MMO which deserves to be called massive is EvE. Itīs sandbox, all players on one server. They have a solid 400.000 subscriber base since nearly a decade.

Tetrablade
03.20.2012 , 09:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
The only MMO which deserves to be called massive is EvE. Itīs sandbox, all players on one server. They have a solid 400.000 subscriber base since nearly a decade.
It also is the only game deserving the fan-nickname "spreadsheet wars".
There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap.....Me. -The Doctor

Erevan_Kindelar
03.20.2012 , 09:03 AM | #7
EVE Online is the closest you can get at the moment - usually 35k to 45k people online at any one time, and you will occasionally get battles between corporations (the EVE equivalent of a Guild) or alliances (groups of corporations) with 1000+ individual players per side in a particular solar system. For sure, that will cause some lag, but compare that to the state of SWTOR (oh, a player on Ilum wandered into my field of view and now I get 2 fps), it is leaps and bounds ahead of where we are.

Lord_Ravenhurst
03.20.2012 , 09:04 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tetrablade View Post
It also is the only game deserving the fan-nickname "spreadsheet wars".
The good thing is, it scares off casuals who prefer brainless repetitive quests like "Click X containers and kill X enemies, then return". True, EvE needs an IQ at least above 99, so it will never reach 1.7 M subscribers.

Thundergulch
03.20.2012 , 09:04 AM | #9
All players on the same server yes, but if you get 2000 players in Jita, the node crashes.

Eve is awesome ,I always resub for 2-3 months here and there to get my fix

badou
03.20.2012 , 09:15 AM | #10
Well aion had more than 500 ppl from each side and run fine at start.Lineage2 oficcial had more than 1.5k ppl at one place and run fine.