Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The ME3 debacle and BioWare fan loyalty...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
The ME3 debacle and BioWare fan loyalty...

RobNightfall
03.15.2012 , 04:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MaverickXIV View Post
I have studied "stats," and you are completely and utterly incorrect. My numbers are the only objective numbers that can possibly exist: the ratio of those who feel slighted enough by the ending to seek out and sign an internet petition vs. the entire set of Mass Effect 3 consumers. This is also called a "percentage."

Your numbers are made up, and any attempt at any sort of poll falls victim to a human element and subjectivity. At that point you're getting too deep into Social Sciences, and who really wants to waste their time with that hogwash?
Bzzzzzt wrong. If you want to track who likes vs. who dislikes a game you need to ask them. Stats goes well beyond percentages, especially to determine a correlation. Perhaps the problem is you need to study both stats and research design.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

Antipathize
03.15.2012 , 04:35 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by RobNightfall View Post
Bzzzzzt wrong. If you want to track who likes vs. who dislikes a game you need to ask them. Stats goes well beyond percentages, especially to determine a correlation. Perhaps the problem is you need to study both stats and research design.
Yes but how many of these people are asked? There is a big difference between someone actively seeking numbers for a poll or statistic, and a customer complaint. People will go out of their way to make a complaint.

Unless there are random samplings of opinions from ME3 owners, and with a large enough pool, the numbers will be skewed by whiners going to a website for the specific purpose of bashing the game.

CazNeerg
03.15.2012 , 04:36 PM | #23
This is true. Until the end, it's an absolutely awesome game. There were a couple of times where I stepped back and took deep breaths and reminded myself it was just a game lol. The plot has the capacity to be that moving. And then they totally f**k up the end game.
Yeah, I keep trying to play TOR, but I can't manage more than an hour at a time because I am thinking about how, while TOR is great, I'd rather be replaying ME3, but then when I try to boot up ME3 I just can't, because the fundamentally nonsensical and nihilistic ending is clouding the back of my mind. Then I hit the internet to see if there is any news of a fix yet. That is how much the ending has messed with a lot of people, they not only can't keep playing that game, they can't (yet, though obviously it will pass) manage to focus on any game. It's just that bad.
True mastery is to feel the flames of your passion, to dance with the fire, to live in it, to fully embrace the primal forces of destruction and creation, and not be burned to a cinder, to survive and prosper because you loved the flame, used the flame, but did not allow yourself to be consumed by it; this is greatness; this is Sith.

MaverickXIV
03.15.2012 , 04:39 PM | #24
Wait a second...am I being punked? Ashton, you conniving trickster! You almost had me for a second there. Good one. Now we can get back to discussing actually true things, like:

Quote: Originally Posted by Antipathize View Post
People will go out of their way to make a complaint.

RobNightfall
03.15.2012 , 06:26 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipathize View Post
Yes but how many of these people are asked? There is a big difference between someone actively seeking numbers for a poll or statistic, and a customer complaint. People will go out of their way to make a complaint.

Unless there are random samplings of opinions from ME3 owners, and with a large enough pool, the numbers will be skewed by whiners going to a website for the specific purpose of bashing the game.
Which would be why I said BW needs to set up a poll and ask people if they want to make a numbers argument.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

CazNeerg
03.15.2012 , 06:43 PM | #26
Which would be why I said BW needs to set up a poll and ask people if they want to make a numbers argument.
Yeah, as a general rule, especially when attempting to argue against the results of a poll with fifty thousand respondents, it helps to actually have contradictory numbers to offer, rather than just "Nahhh nahhhh, your numbers don't mean anything because I say they don't!"
True mastery is to feel the flames of your passion, to dance with the fire, to live in it, to fully embrace the primal forces of destruction and creation, and not be burned to a cinder, to survive and prosper because you loved the flame, used the flame, but did not allow yourself to be consumed by it; this is greatness; this is Sith.

Athrins
03.15.2012 , 09:22 PM | #27
I didn't buy ME3 for a lot of reasons (Origin and day 1 DLC says hi), but I am playing it (although I have a character from ME2 I need to finish for an Import, so I've pretty much just tested the first few levels with default Shep).

I do agree on that I get a sour taste in my mouth, knowing that the company who produced my favourite franchise are now trashing it completely while at the same time I'm supporting them with a subscription (even though I have cancelled - but I probably will resub assuming they deliver quality in 1.2).

It doesn't matter if it's a different dev team; it's the same company, same brains behind the philosophy and ideals of the company. Having played and experienced the consequences of a company being controlled by EA, I'm seriously considering never to buy another game from them. Including unsubbing from this one.

It's a matter of principle. There comes a point when you simply have to stand your ground and say "Enough, this isn't something I wish to support anymore".

Also, there's no reason to 'pity' the "real Bioware" because "they have to do the evil biddings of EA"; they chose to sell out. The founders and most important people in Bioware made a deal with EA willingly.

They are completely free to quit their jobs / end their cooperation with EA (assuming they're not bound for a long time by a contract) at any time and start making the types of games they really want. But they aren't.

Therefor, they are OK with losing me and others as customers. That's a trade they're willing to make. If it's a profitable tactic in the long term, only time can tell. I'm hoping it isn't, and that they will one day see things from our perspective and change.

maxetius
03.15.2012 , 09:29 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MaverickXIV View Post
30,000 people "like" the Retake Mass Effect page. There's probably a lot of fabricated likes in there, but let's just say there isn't. Mass Effect 3 shipped 3.5 million copies in the first week.

That's 1%.

I really don't think any more needs to be said.

lol.

Anyway I didn't mind the ending. It kept me thinking of the game a long time afterwards, like, say, an art house movie. No, it's not an art house ending. Don't start with the straw men.

Quote:
the ending is the absolute worst ending i have ever encountered in my entire life,
I understand you're emotional, I played the series beginning to end too. But worst ending in your LIFE? C'mon, there have been much worse endings.

Like, for me Quest for Glory 3 takes the cake as worst ending ever. Bet no one knows what the hell i'm talking about.

Temeluchus
03.15.2012 , 09:34 PM | #29
You can google it and find it in about 5 minutes, I don't want to ruin the game for you or your husband, just in case your are one of the 10% or less that like the ending.
I really can't comment on the ending of ME3 without spoiling anything for anyone that hasn't beaten it yet. I will say I'm one of the "10%" that liked the ending. I will also say the devs of ME3 had hinted at the ending for years so I'm not sure why a section of the people who didn't like it are up in arms.

Overall, ME3 and the reputation and decisions made are on a far greater scale than the previous games and TOR,which I really enjoyed. I liked how the decisions you have to make are far reaching,morally ambiguous and not so "good" or "evil".

However comparing what is going on with ME3 to how it will or could affect TOR is inappropriate. A favorite science term of mine comes to mind to sum the OP's post up, correlation does not imply causation. I'm unsure why you would not support any EA/BW games because you feel they ruined a series you are a fan of.

EDIT: I possibly misinterpreted what the OP was going for and they'd like to use their, and anyone else who did not like the ME3 ending,TOR subs into leveraging EA/BW into patching in a new ending that meets their approval. if that's the case...seriously?!?
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Darth_Gao_Gao
03.15.2012 , 09:47 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by maxetius View Post
I understand you're emotional, I played the series beginning to end too. But worst ending in your LIFE? C'mon, there have been much worse endings.

Like, for me Quest for Glory 3 takes the cake as worst ending ever. Bet no one knows what the hell i'm talking about.
never played that, nor heard of it. in terms of games, i truly cannot think of a game with a worse ending. i've only existed for around 26 years, and only started "role playing games" when MASS EFFECT 1 CAME OUT. I'M MAD.

edit: that's a lie. the first rpg i played was oblivion.