Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The ME3 debacle and BioWare fan loyalty...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
The ME3 debacle and BioWare fan loyalty...

CazNeerg
03.15.2012 , 03:01 PM | #1
Unless they want to see a fairly substantial drop in subscriptions, BioWare: Austin needs to exert pressure on the other branches of their company to fix the mess they made of the ending in ME3. I love TOR. I planned to play it for years. I currently have a six month subscription. But I cannot in good conscience continue to support a company financially that broke explicit promises to it's fans in a way that ruined a saga five years in the making, in a manner which not only betrayed the community, but the integrity of the saga itself.

If the problem is not corrected, or at the very least a sincere seeming apology from those responsible issued, I will not be renewing my subscription to TOR when the time I have already paid for runs out. If the social.bioware.com forums are any indication, there are many who feel the same way, or have already cancelled.

To any others here who are fans of both games, I hope you are expressing your discontent to both BioWare teams in whatever manner you feel is most appropriate. I for one would prefer not to stop playing this excellent game, but I cannot financially reward a company that refuses to own up to it's mistakes.

And for the record, "We're sorry you feel that way" would not be a sincere seeming apology. It needs to be an actual acknowledgment that they screwed up.
True mastery is to feel the flames of your passion, to dance with the fire, to live in it, to fully embrace the primal forces of destruction and creation, and not be burned to a cinder, to survive and prosper because you loved the flame, used the flame, but did not allow yourself to be consumed by it; this is greatness; this is Sith.

DarthRamette
03.15.2012 , 03:07 PM | #2
Huh? My husband just got ME3 and is enjoying it and TOR. What are you talking about because I am confused.

CazNeerg
03.15.2012 , 03:13 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
Huh? My husband just got ME3 and is enjoying it and TOR. What are you talking about because I am confused.
I don't want to spoil it, because most of the game is truly the best I have ever played, not only from BioWare, but from any developer. But if your husband is the emotional type, and is deeply invested in the series, make sure there is nothing breakable nearby when he reaches the end. Sentiment, everywhere that it is mentioned on the internet, is running very negative about the ending, to the tune of 85-90% support for asking BioWare to change it, from those who are expressing any opinion at all.
True mastery is to feel the flames of your passion, to dance with the fire, to live in it, to fully embrace the primal forces of destruction and creation, and not be burned to a cinder, to survive and prosper because you loved the flame, used the flame, but did not allow yourself to be consumed by it; this is greatness; this is Sith.

DarthRamette
03.15.2012 , 03:15 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by CazNeerg View Post
I don't want to spoil it, because most of the game is truly the best I have ever played, not only from BioWare, but from any developer. But if your husband is the emotional type, and is deeply invested in the series, make sure there is nothing breakable nearby when he reaches the end. Sentiment, everywhere that it is mentioned on the internet, is running very negative about the ending, to the tune of 85-90% support for asking BioWare to change it, from those who are expressing any opinion at all.
Ah, I can only guess it has something to do with Shepard at the end.

CazNeerg
03.15.2012 , 03:21 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
Ah, I can only guess it has something to do with Shepard at the end.
Not in the way that you would think, but partly. There is too much wrong with it to explain briefly, and all of it is impossible to explain *clearly* without spoilers.

Suffice it to say, the last five minutes feel like they are torn from a different story, in an entirely different genre, with a tone and themes inconsistent with everything that has come before, which blatantly contradict other story elements that you had played through just a couple hours before, and feature more than one character acting in a manner completely inconsistent with any prior presentation of who those characters are. And to top it all off, there is pretty much zero closure provided, you are left with more questions than answers.

Lord_of_Mu
03.15.2012 , 03:23 PM | #6
I was a little confused and angry with the ME 3 ending until I started reading the "Indoctrination" theory and revisited the ending with the idea that the last ten minutes were all internalized. Along with the "correct" final choice it sets the pace for a Mass Effect 3 expansion or Mass Effect 4.

CazNeerg
03.15.2012 , 03:51 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
I was a little confused and angry with the ME 3 ending until I started reading the "Indoctrination" theory and revisited the ending with the idea that the last ten minutes were all internalized. Along with the "correct" final choice it sets the pace for a Mass Effect 3 expansion or Mass Effect 4.
The problem there is that an app just came out for the iPad which includes "behind the scenes" quotes from developers which, if taken at face value, indicate that the endings were implemented exactly as planned, and are complete as they are. When it was revealed on social.bioware.com, the entire storyline discussion forum exploded and the mods locked it down completely for almost an hour.

Antipathize
03.15.2012 , 04:06 PM | #8
I just checked. This isn't social.bioware.com or Facebook.

Let me check again.

Nope.

Also if you think bioware Austin has any influence on what the rest of bioware does, you should l2coporation command structures.

MaverickXIV
03.15.2012 , 04:07 PM | #9
30,000 people "like" the Retake Mass Effect page. There's probably a lot of fabricated likes in there, but let's just say there isn't. Mass Effect 3 shipped 3.5 million copies in the first week.

That's 1%.

I really don't think any more needs to be said.

CazNeerg
03.15.2012 , 04:08 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipathize View Post
I just checked. This isn't social.bioware.com or Facebook.

Let me check again.

Nope.
Right. Because discussing the possible impact of one BioWare product on subscriptions to this BioWare product is sooooo off topic...