Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Surge Rating questions.

Stoopkiid
03.15.2012 , 09:17 AM | #1
I've heard that 200 Surge Rating (roughly 70%) is the Surge cap before Diminishing Returns kicks in.

1) Is this true?

2) How does that mechanic work? When I hear Diminishing Returns I think of CCs, which reduces the duration of CC effects that are applied to your character within a certain number of seconds. Do I get a Diminishing Return applied to my character, reducing the impact Surge has on my crits on any enemy for a certain amount of time? Or does each individual player affected by my Surge receive reduced amounts of damage? Hopefully that makes sense. Knowing whether individual enemies have their own "DR" value for my Surge, or whether I myself get a DR that applies to EVERY enemy that I attack, is pretty important.

Hopefully I've been able to explain what I'm trying to ask. Cheers.

Ulmius
03.15.2012 , 09:20 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoopkiid View Post
I've heard that 200 Surge Rating (roughly 70%) is the Surge cap before Diminishing Returns kicks in.

1) Is this true?

2) How does that mechanic work? When I hear Diminishing Returns I think of CCs, which reduces the duration of CC effects that are applied to your character within a certain number of seconds. Do I get a Diminishing Return applied to my character, reducing the impact Surge has on my crits on any enemy for a certain amount of time? Or does each individual player affected by my Surge receive reduced amounts of damage? Hopefully that makes sense. Knowing whether individual enemies have their own "DR" value for my Surge, or whether I myself get a DR that applies to EVERY enemy that I attack, is pretty important.

Hopefully I've been able to explain what I'm trying to ask. Cheers.
1) I'm not 100% sure on that number but I know it's pretty close to it.

2) It means that it takes more of the stat to get the same impact. For example, if you have zero surge and you add 50 surge rating it'll give you like 5% surge. When you start hitting diminishing returns and you add 50 surge rating it'll give you like 2% surge. (Not exact numbers but just giving you an idea)

Ch_Zero
03.15.2012 , 09:23 AM | #3
diminishing returns applies to all stats but your base stat and power.

it just means that the more surge you add the less stat increase you will recieve.

an example would be 200 surge gives you a 10% surge increase 400 only gives you a 5% increase from that.

So at 200 surge you are at 60% 400 you are at 65%...

This is just an example obviously not concrete numbers.

Kinrain
03.15.2012 , 09:25 AM | #4
I believe dimisnishing returns become non-cost efficient around 250 for Surge.

Basically it means that before 250 Surge you get generally good value for each point of surge, after that you get generally poor value. Its not a definate point where suddenly your no longer getting good value but 250 is a pretty good place to draw the line.

As an example your 1st point on surge might add 1% crit damage, your second point adds 0.9999%, 3rd point adds 0.9900% etc etc.

This is important because 1 point of Surge could be replaced with 1 point in Alacrity, or Crit giving you a stat that still offers good value if you are under its Diminishing Returns threshold.
R.I.P . Gone But Not Forgotten
╬╬╬╬╬╣███████████████████████)

Ravaran
03.15.2012 , 09:27 AM | #5
Jedilace has a nice breakdown of Surge's diminishing returns here...

http://www.jedilace.com/2012/02/01/w...for-digestion/

Take a look at the increase in crit bonus (vertically) in the cells for 200-300 surge rating, and then for the 300-400 rating.

-71.26% - 75.28% = 4.2% increase from 200 rating to 300 rating

-75.28% - 77.45% = 2.17% increase from 300 rating to 400 rating

Looking at it this way, you can see how much the benefit of more and more surge rating diminishes.

Myself, I have a general goal of 250 surge, with no less than 200 and no more than 300.

Stoopkiid
03.15.2012 , 09:29 AM | #6
Ahhh, okay. That's a totally different concept that I had in mind. I was thinking that the DR's were applied during combat AFTER a crit, further reducing the impact that Surge had on a character for a certain amount of time. Thank you very much for all the good information.

Lugosi
03.15.2012 , 09:52 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kinrain View Post
This is important because 1 point of Surge could be replaced with 1 point in Alacrity, or Crit giving you a stat that still offers good value if you are under its Diminishing Returns threshold.
Actually surge cannot be replaced with crit. Crit is a secondary stat and surge is a tertiary stat. Surge is replacable with accuracy, alacrity, absorption. So depending on the class sometimes it's better to just stack more surge regardless of the DR. For example, on a sorc accuracy and absorption will do you no good and alacrity is a horrible stat.
Bargain not with the darkness, in time it will take us all.
Arms of the Abyss
Ilith - Akhroma - Molybdenum

Stoopkiid
03.15.2012 , 11:02 AM | #8
Ahhh, okay. That's a totally different concept that I had in mind. I was thinking that the DR's were applied during combat AFTER a crit, further reducing the impact that Surge had on a character for a certain amount of time. Thank you very much for all the good information.