Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

Kourage
03.09.2012 , 06:34 PM | #21
Nobody cares about SWG. Not even the devs.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Makktenn
03.09.2012 , 06:52 PM | #22
Well they should learn from a few things, for instance;

-SWG had much better community; everyone gathered at the cantina's to get buffs and hang out. Bounty hunters would be hiding in the crowd and take out targets out of the blue. Social hang outs are KEY for MMO's.

- SWG had much better open world pvp. There would always be fights going on in coronet, to anchorhead, to naboo. Why? Because it was friggen fun. And because if you didnt want to you didnt have to. We didn't need a crazy system. People just liked to pvp in that game.

- SWG had collectible rare drop items. These rare items would drop with unique stats, DOT's, and other legendary stuff from regular mobs. Lots of people would spend hours out looking and farming mobs for these drops. One drop would make you rich or give you a major leg up in PVP.

- SWG had real crafting that mattered. Crafted gear to get unique things like jet packs and ultra rare vehicles. To get the awesome crafted gear you needed rare drops too, but you didnt have to raid to do it. You could farm world epic mobs or duo elite mobs.

- SWG had player bounties. Nuff said. I've seen the polls here. 90% of the players want them. They made for a huge amount of fun and adrenaline pumping action in swg.

Bottom line SWTOR is great but it would be stupid for them to not take on some of the great stuff SWG did right before NGE.
"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Deewe
03.09.2012 , 06:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post

Umm...this is BioWare dude...

that was sony online entertainment...they SUCK

so no. There will NEVER be something like nge.
Few things to notice:
  1. SOE isn't the only culprit for NGE, LA had its word on it. Much more than you may think.
  2. Many devs from SWG are now with BioWare.
Comments?

Darth_Bond
03.09.2012 , 07:04 PM | #24
this aint SWG, get over it, just like this isnt wow.
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

ConspicuousTree
03.09.2012 , 07:31 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Makktenn View Post
Well they should learn from a few things, for instance;

-SWG had <stuff>
It also had a vastly inferior subscriber base that SWTOR has blown out of the water in less than a month.

Unless a sizable number of their customers decide that not having Galaxies features is a real gamebreaker for their subscriptions I really don't think you're going to see many of these things, and some of them (the community thing) is more down to the people in the community than it is the devs.

And never, ever, ever, ever think of the forum and its attached 'polls' or 'discussion threads' to be majority opinion. The people on the forums are a vocal minority.
The Hale Legacy - The Progenitor

mattgyver
03.10.2012 , 02:33 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kourage View Post
Nobody cares about SWG. Not even the devs.
And yet for something nobody cares about, it comes up again and again on these forums. That is what made me create this thread, I am actually surprised at how often I saw it mentioned.

mattgyver
03.10.2012 , 02:36 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by ConspicuousTree View Post
It also had a vastly inferior subscriber base that SWTOR has blown out of the water in less than a month.

Unless a sizable number of their customers decide that not having Galaxies features is a real gamebreaker for their subscriptions I really don't think you're going to see many of these things, and some of them (the community thing) is more down to the people in the community than it is the devs.

And never, ever, ever, ever think of the forum and its attached 'polls' or 'discussion threads' to be majority opinion. The people on the forums are a vocal minority.

I never posited that because SWG comes up everyone must be thinking about that game.

mattgyver
03.10.2012 , 02:41 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Bojanglez View Post
Even as a long-time SWG fan (was there on day 1, hated the NGE, etc, etc), I don't really understand why you're beating this dead horse?

This game is NOTHING like SWG, so far they have taken NOTHING (in terms of features of gameplay) from SWG, and frankly, given what "a failure" SWG is perceived as, they will most likely include NOTHING from SWG.

But you want a dev post because you're hoping that they'll turn this game (or elements thereof) into a game that, again, is perceived to be a failure? Or you want to hear exactly how much they are influenced by a game that's NOTHING like this one?

Let it go. BW isn't SOE, SWTOR isn't SWG and no matter what the devs here thought of it, it's dead and gone.

Let it go.
What's with the attitude? I was interested in what you had to say until it became obvious that you wanted to interpret the motivation for my post and the plan hidden in my wording of the post. I wanted to discuss the topic. If I wanted to do otherwise I would have put a 'Vote for SWG' thread up.

Malefactor
03.10.2012 , 02:58 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by mattgyver View Post
I see what you mean, but do you think there could be an NGE like mistake for SWTOR? Without NGE SWG might have had a different outcome.
I doubt we will see an NGE from any developer anytime soon.

As to the possibility that SWG might have had a different outcome if not for the NGE, no, not really as the whole reason for the NGE was because the game was doing very poorly and SOE along with LA needed to do something to try and turn things around. Their gamble failed, instead of turning things around, it backfired big time and made an already bad situation much, much worse.

I do believe there is talk about ship decoration, guild capitol ships and even player bounties down the line. Also, they are currently working on a "secret" space project so who knows, maybe we will get a more robust space game, I would certainly welcome it.
Hyperbole: The angry forum poster's weapon of choice.

jbeazy
03.10.2012 , 03:23 AM | #30
Here we go with the nge garbage again. Everyone acts like that game was awesome and for no reason they changed it. Everyone was ************ about that game because there was nothing to do but craft and decorate your house. Then when the change was even worse everyone quit. The only thing they'd get from swg is a long list of what not to do.